Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedruns for charity

Options
  • 11-01-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anyones been watching but the Twitch speedrun community have been running an Awesome Games Done Quick charity event all week. Havent seen them all but the highlights for me have been the one hour Skyrim complete and the Mirrors Edge race. VODs can be foung here.

So if you had to speedrun a game which would it be?. For me it'd be Dead Space, loved that game more second time through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Skyrim dude is cheating and glitching.

Jumps tru walls and has infinite run somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Yeah lol they use exploits where ever they can. Some games have more than others and skyrim is full of them. Not really cheating per-se, its still the origional code. How they find these exploits though, must need serious patience.

EDIT: Another must see is Super Punch Out while blindfolded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've never understood the appeal of speedruns. Seems a bit pointless to me. But i suppose some charity is benefiting out of this so it's not completely pointless this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

A guy just beat Super Mario 64 in 22 minutes.WITH ONE HAND.

This is brilliant!

I've never understood the appeal of speedruns. Seems a bit pointless to me. But i suppose some charity is benefiting out of this so it's not completely pointless this time.

I like them on platformers as its skill/memory.

Cheating tho defeats the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've never thought, "Hey, what I'll do is a speed run" but I think I see the appeal. I think some people see it as a justification for replaying a game they've done before. I don't need such a justification. If I want to replay something I just do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cheating tho defeats the point.

Some of those glitches, certainly in Ocarina of Time, are really difficult to pull off...& expose some interesting flaws in the games design. You can actually beat OoT in under 15mins, by glitching passed the entire adult Link section & defeating Ganon as child Link.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Some of those glitches, certainly in Ocarina of Time, are really difficult to pull off...& expose some interesting flaws in the games design. You can actually beat OoT in under 15mins, by glitching passed the entire adult Link section & defeating Ganon as child Link.

I would be fine with that, its the lad infinite sprinting in Skyrim that bothered me :D

he uses the wait option at the beginning then just plain old cheats after Rorikstead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Watch Two Players Team Up to Run Goldeneye in World-Record Time: http://t.co/ouMFgon6Xj

Great cause, prevent Cancer.

37 million views for the week yesterday :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Punch out blindfolded is also impressive

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/494222408?t=8m50s

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

the Super Metroid race was one of the best things ever. 0.5 of a second in the difference (could have been less). unbelievable stuff.
    been watching these since 2011, they get better and better. over a million dollars raised too.

if you wanna see some serious skill, the Metroid Zero Mission low% hard run is well worth it. pretty much everything in the game kills him in one hit from the mid point on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Love watching some of the platforming games now and then, just looks insanely hard ! Especially the mario 64 stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah any of the mario ones are great.
    Mario 64 has a lot of glitches.
    Mario World is my fave to watch.

Also watch a lot of dark souls, those guys can annihilate that game !

Advertisement