Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiste Gaeilge

Options
  • 11-01-2014 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering what would be a good length for the aiste in paper 1? Also, any general seanfhocal or phrases that I could use in several different topics?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

Depends on your writing. I wrote a debate a few weeks ago, it was probably 1 and 3/4 pages, but I got 600 words into that. Focus on quality though, just have 3 or 4 main points and refer to the question throughout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

500-600 words is what they look for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

500-600 words?! My Irish teacher just told us to go off and write minimum 3, but aim to write 5. Any time I handed up an essay that was just a line or two under 3 pages, I was given a C3 regardless of the content.

In terms of prep work for the aiste, it's practically non-existent for us. Anyone got any sites I could get some seanfhocal or some prep on aiste?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

My Irish teacher just told us to go off and write minimum 3

We were told to have minimum 500 words or marks will be deducted. i.e. write 300 words (60%) you can only get marked out of 60

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

500-600 words?! My Irish teacher just told us to go off and write minimum 3, but aim to write 5. Any time I handed up an essay that was just a line or two under 3 pages, I was given a C3 regardless of the content.

In terms of prep work for the aiste, it's practically non-existent for us. Anyone got any sites I could get some seanfhocal or some prep on aiste?
    EliteC wrote: »
    We were told to have minimum 500 words or marks will be deducted. i.e. write 300 words (60%) you can only get marked out of 60

I was told by my teacher last year that a minimum of 3 pages were required too, if not you were marked out of 60%, but this was her way of getting us to work hard at them and making sure we didn't just abandon the essay after one page.
    I'd advise ye to learn off an opening and closing paragraph that can be used in all essays (something mentioning the recession, crime, drugs, the state of Ireland, education system etc. with seanfhocails), that way you've got a good half to 3/4 of a page full with content that you know is good and grammatically correct. I did this this year, in every essay or debate we got as homework I used the same opening and closing paragraphs and adjusted them a little for each one depending on the title and eventually they stick in your head. I managed to get an A1 in Irish this year and a lot of those marks came from the essay. The main thing is start with good grammar and the examiner is happy when they start reading your essay, finish with good grammar and a strong closing, at the end of the day it is the last thing they read before grading the essay :)
    I'd aim for at least 2 and half pages with the essay but on the day if you get a good essay and you're well prepared you will not even realise how much you're writing. I left my exam 45 minutes early with 6 pages written!

I'd also recommend getting your hands on a copy of Dréimire, its very good content wise for predictions for the essays/debates, seanfhocails, grammar, stories, poetry and the reading comprehensions.

Best of luck :D

• Advertisement

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    I was told by my teacher last year that a minimum of 3 pages were required too, if not you were marked out of 60%, but this was her way of getting us to work hard at them and making sure we didn't just abandon the essay after one page.
    I'd advise ye to learn off an opening and closing paragraph that can be used in all essays (something mentioning the recession, crime, drugs, the state of Ireland, education system etc. with seanfhocails), that way you've got a good half to 3/4 of a page full with content that you know is good and grammatically correct. I did this this year, in every essay or debate we got as homework I used the same opening and closing paragraphs and adjusted them a little for each one depending on the title and eventually they stick in your head. I managed to get an A1 in Irish this year and a lot of those marks came from the essay. The main thing is start with good grammar and the examiner is happy when they start reading your essay, finish with good grammar and a strong closing, at the end of the day it is the last thing they read before grading the essay :)
    I'd aim for at least 2 and half pages with the essay but on the day if you get a good essay and you're well prepared you will not even realise how much you're writing. I left my exam 45 minutes early with 6 pages written!

I'd also recommend getting your hands on a copy of Dréimire, its very good content wise for predictions for the essays/debates, seanfhocails, grammar, stories, poetry and the reading comprehensions.

Best of luck :D

Thank you!! Finished an essay the other day with 3 pages, 626 words. Waiting for it to be corrected now!

About that book, does it have verbs and stuff as well in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Thank you!! Finished an essay the other day with 3 pages, 626 words. Waiting for it to be corrected now!

About that book, does it have verbs and stuff as well in it?

That will definitely be enough :) but I'd aim for that anyways at least.
    Its not exactly a book, you send away for it & you get the cover & the first edition, then every month or so they send the next edition of it. You might have gotten something like it for Junior Cert, Céim or Staighre? Sometimes the school/Irish class might just decide on getting it. I think its expensive enough but if you order it in bulk with a group it is cheaper.
    Everything that is in it is all topical stuff and is usually fairly accurate with stuff that may appear in the exam, especially for the reading comprehension and aiste.
    Yeah it has verbs, everything to do with the tuiseal ginideach and that. Its very good.
    You may have missed one or two editions of it but I'm sure they'd send it on if you order it :)
    Here is the link for it anyways if you want to have a look http://www.gael-linn.ie/default.aspx?treeid=291

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    That will definitely be enough :) but I'd aim for that anyways at least.
    Its not exactly a book, you send away for it & you get the cover & the first edition, then every month or so they send the next edition of it. You might have gotten something like it for Junior Cert, Céim or Staighre? Sometimes the school/Irish class might just decide on getting it. I think its expensive enough but if you order it in bulk with a group it is cheaper.
    Everything that is in it is all topical stuff and is usually fairly accurate with stuff that may appear in the exam, especially for the reading comprehension and aiste.
    Yeah it has verbs, everything to do with the tuiseal ginideach and that. Its very good.
    You may have missed one or two editions of it but I'm sure they'd send it on if you order it :)
    Here is the link for it anyways if you want to have a look http://www.gael-linn.ie/default.aspx?treeid=291

Thank you! Gonna take a look tomorrow in my local shop for books, then take a look at this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Abhar

Hi how many/what kind of subjects would you recommend to revise for the irish essay ? eg. poverty or emigration

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

Quality vs quantity

• Advertisement
Advertisement