Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi applies for planning permission for shop at Rivervalley

Options
  • 11-01-2014 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

http://northcountyleader.ie/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=15045:plans-for-new-lidl-store-causing-concern&Itemid=113
    [Butler] welcomed the planning application for a new Aldi shop at Rivervalley Shopping Centre. “A new Aldi here will have the effect of revitalising the entire Rivervalley area, and while residents will have the same concerns regarding road safety and increased traffic flow, the overall benefits are to be welcomed,” he concluded.

Has anybody come across any other source to verify this? Haven't been able to find anything concrete.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Davy wrote: »

Title needs changing from Aldi

If you scroll down through the OP's link it mentons the application by Aldi for a store in Rivervalley. Your link is about the Lidl on the Dublin Road.

OP - no I've heard rumours but nothing concrete. We live in hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

There was a planning application put in to demolish the petrol pumps and rebuild the centra into an ALDI, however the application was withdrawn in August so there is nothing happening as yet. Planning Reference:
    F13A/0271
    On the fingal co council site

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That those shops still have pumps amazes me, extremely rare in Ireland for a non-dedicated filling station to survive let alone two pumps outside a Centra in a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Yeh especially at the prices they charge!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Yeh especially at the prices they charge!!:rolleyes:
    Even for Topaz, they're extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It was rumoured that Aldi put in a bid for the entire complex some time back but the chipper wouldn't budge. It's a gold mine apparently (which I'd believe with his snack boxes) and he didn't want to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Looks like River Valley Co-op put in another application for redevelopment in August 2013. The council have decided they want additional information as at 11 October 2013.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F13A/0306

Minimal mention of Aldi but very definite references on the drawings and in correspondence from the engineers.

Thanks for the replies. i had seen the applications for redevelopment of the River Valley centre but didn't read the detail of what was planned. I was looking for a reference to Aldi in the description!

I see Clare Daly has raised concerns about the scale in the context of the local objective for the centre. Given the additional info requested, I reckon they will probably have to advertise again. This will be an interesting one to watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

eggerb wrote: »
    i had seen the applications for redevelopment of the River Valley centre

I hope they do something with the overall look of the shopping centre, it's been neglected for far too long and badly needs it.

I hope they do something with the overall look of the shopping centre, it's been neglected for far too long and badly needs it.

Agreed. With the exception of The Millennium and a wee extension for C&T's she has been left relatively untouched since being built in the late 80's

• Advertisement

Would also be very keen to see a redevelopment of the centre. It badly needs a facelift and the car park is a disaster - especially for pedestrians. The plan (here - page 2) shows the end unit (where Centra currently is) extending out to the meet the public footpath so that should make it safer for pedestrians. What is planned (proposed elevation drawing here) is nothing major other than the end units but anything would be welcome.

I'm just wondering how the council will view an Alldi in the context of the Dev Plan Local Ojective #314 "Support and encourage the regeneration of Rivervalley neighbourhood centre at a scale which responds to and respects the adjacent residential area". Clare Daly is not sitting on the fence in her submission unlike Cllr Butler in his comments to the North County Leader!!

By the looks of it they're planning on improving the look of the whole row of shops by putting some sort of capping above them. The existing flat roofed appearance is awful. It'll be a huge improvement, I hope they go ahead with it.

They might even repaint the arrows in the car park - it's supposed to be a one-way system but people seem to drive in all directions now.

By the looks of it they're planning on improving the look of the whole row of shops by putting some sort of capping above them. The existing flat roofed appearance is awful. It'll be a huge improvement, I hope they go ahead with it.

They might even repaint the arrows in the car park - it's supposed to be a one-way system but people seem to drive in all directions now.

Looks like that alright ... aluminium sheeting, metal trim and ceramic glass ... a little can go a long way to improve the appearance.

The site layout plan seems to indicate a one way plan in the car park but the council have raised an issue (#4) around egress for the Community Centre and Scout Hall.

Additional information supplied to council ... http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00462123.pdf

Excellent. Fingers crossed now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Aldi's presence in Swords is looong overdue. Looking forward to this!

I was telling my folks this today and they are over the moon about it ! Plus it'll clean up the area a bit!!!

Good news for those that would like to see an Aldi!

Fingal Co Co Decision: GRANT PERMISSION
    Date of FCC Decision: 10-Feb-2014

Good news !

Happy days! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement