Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clothing for tall, slim men

Options
  • 10-01-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have a 14 year old son who is tall and slim. Since his latest growth spurt I cannot seem to find him any jeans/trousers to fit. I need something in about a 30"-36" (i.e. 30" waist and 36" length) and have discovered that it is virtually impossible to find. There are stores for taller/larger men but although they do lengths between 36" and 40" these start in a 34" waist. Anyone out there know of any stores around Dublin or online that stock sizes for tall, thin men? My son is very rapidly running out of clothes to wear. Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I find Zara are great for longer leg lengths. I've a 34 (possibly 35) inch leg but often find standard 34 or L legs can be slightly short in many menswear shops. . I never have this problem with Zara trousers which can sometimes be too long even for me!. They seem to have the same leg length for all their trousers irrespective of waist size (which bizarrely must be far too long for anyone (most guys) with less than 34 inch leg unless they hem/alter them!). They do waist sizes generally from 30 to 36 inches so it might be worth popping in there. Very affordable prices too for jeans and pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Jack & Jones:
    http://jackjones.com/shop/bottoms/jeans/jj-j-shop-bottoms-jeans,en_GB,sc.html

OH gets all his jeans there-various styles eg baggy, skinny. Longer legs, smaller waist.

There's one in town and one in Dundrum from what I know.

Ongarboy-sizing in Zara is mad-really long legs on girls as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coldcake

Being very tall and skinny myself, I find the best place is TK Maxx for jeans. BT2 are good as well but more pricey.

But try TK Maxx. The only clothes I find hard to find are suits and thats when I resort to tall stores, but in general their stuff is terrible, style wise.

I find the only places that really don't have my size are the likes of department stores, but they really wouldn't be my first choice.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martiik

ongarboy wrote: »
    I find Zara are great for longer leg lengths. I've a 34 (possibly 35) inch leg but often find standard 34 or L legs can be slightly short in many menswear shops. . I never have this problem with Zara trousers which can sometimes be too long even for me!. They seem to have the same leg length for all their trousers irrespective of waist size (which bizarrely must be far too long for anyone (most guys) with less than 34 inch leg unless they hem/alter them!). They do waist sizes generally from 30 to 36 inches so it might be worth popping in there. Very affordable prices too for jeans and pants.

Thanks so much for your suggestion - I'll definitely check it out. Got kind of annoyed the other day when I inquired in Topman where the sales guy told me that the size I was looking for did not exist as that's a very strange body shape. My son was with me at the time and it seemed very unnecessary to make a comment like that in front of him. Thanks again!

Awesome - thanks so much. Have never used this site before and I'm so impressed with how quickly people have replied to me. Wasn't really expecting to hear anything back at all. I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your son would have been me as a teenager(only from around 16/17). I took/take a size 29-30 36 inch leg and a salesman commented to my dad in a similar way, suggesting I was a "martian". I found it hard to get trousers, especially jeans. At the time(early 80's) the only ones that I could get in such a size were Levi's 501's. They came in odd sizes, though required ordering. This was before they were marketed as the cool jeans and I got some slagging over wearing "granddad jeans" because of the button fly rather than zip. How things change, by the mid 80's I was well cool. :D

I'm still the same size, but I have noticed that Levi's 501 sizing/fit over the years has subtly changed and the 34 leg length is similar if not the same as the old 36(they actually measure 35 inch), so that's what I go for now. So maybe they'd fit your lad? Might be worth a try. If the more easily found 30/34 don't fit him 501's still have 30/36 in their range, though may need to be ordered. Bloody pricey here though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Most raw denim come in a long inseam, have a look at Naked and Famous Denim 36" is their standard leg length.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True, but raw denim shrinks when washed, so if you were looking for a 36 you'd need to buy a 37/38 and add an inch to the waist too. Your results can vary too in my experience. Some may shrink more than others.

IMHO unless you're going for the baggy with cuffs look, then preshrunk is the better bet for fit. Again how things change. Back in the day raw denim was the cheaper stuff and all the brands heavily advertised their product as "pre shrunk/guaranteed not to shrink/sanforized" denim and they cost more. Now it's the other way around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks so much. I'm very impressed with all the info as I wouldn't have known about all these aspects of the clothing and the big differences between the stores. Really appreciate your help so thanks for taking the time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. Until I posted I was really in a bind but now I feel much more confident to find exactly what I need without spending hours wasted wandering around the shops struggling to find anything at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

My little brother is 6"3 and my mum buys most of his clothes on asos or Zara Man. Their lengths are brill.

Thanks rustyzip for your comments and help. It sounds like your "little" brother is not so little at all. I really appreciate you getting back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

martiik wrote: »
    Thanks rustyzip for your comments and help. It sounds like your "little" brother is not so little at all. I really appreciate you getting back to me.

Hehe, yeah he's so tall. He just towers over my mum and other brothers. My grandpa was very tall so he must have got it from there.
    He's very skinny too so it's important he buys slim fitting and longer lengths :)

Yeah I feel so small next to my son too - I'm about 5'5". However I checked his height a couple of days ago and he's about 5'11" so he obviously has very long legs. Funnily enough I'm originally from Sydney, Australia and I've noticed that the younger generations are a lot taller over there. I have a sister who is 11 years younger than me and she is a lot taller but most of her friends are a similar height. Maybe it has something to do with the better nutrition and extra calories women have consumed over the years.

Advertisement