Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on soluble tablets and cardiovascular events

Options
  • 10-01-2014 2:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this research and thought it was very interesting.

Association between cardiovascular events and sodium-containing effervescent, dispersible, and soluble drugs: nested case-control study
    Conclusions Exposure to sodium-containing formulations of effervescent, dispersible, and soluble medicines was associated with significantly increased odds of adverse cardiovascular events compared with standard formulations of those same drugs. Sodium-containing formulations should be prescribed with caution only if the perceived benefits outweigh these risks.

I have seen from experience that a lot of patients opt for soluble formulations of medicines for the convenience or because of their own preference, however the above research suggests this can be associated with increased odds of adverse CV events. For people who may already be on multiple tablets in non-soluble form (also probably the people with existing cardiovascular risk factors), it may be worth highlighting the risks and disadvantages of soluble medications so they can make an informed decision on their treatment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

penguin88 wrote: »
    I have seen from experience that a lot of patients opt for soluble formulations of medicines for the convenience or because of their own preference,

The widely used medicines in soluble formulations are almost all painkillers and that isn't a co-incidence. Patients who can easily swallow other medicines in standard tablets or capsules want their pain relief in a soluble form because they believe it works 'faster'. This may be an advantage for acute pain, although I don't know of any evidence that the difference is significant, but those at risk are those taking painkillers regularly, usually for chronic pain. In these cases the recommendation is that pain relief should be taken 'by the clock' rather than 'as needed' and there is no advantage in taking the soluble form in this way.

There is a certain psychological response and an anticipation of relief in seeing and hearing the tablet dissolve. That is why a well known brand is advertised with the slogan 'plink, plink, fizz' and may drive a lot of the patient preference for soluble painkillers that isn't seen for other medications.

Advertisement