Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Treatment?

Options
  • 10-01-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I have decided that I would like to tackle my drinking. My question is, what is the best method. I would like to attend as an outpatient as i really cant afford the time off work for a residential program. I saw a place call priority. there is a 12 week outpatient programme and it costs €1800.
    Its a lot of money, but I would like to get it sorted once and for all and am wondering if its like everything else, get it done, do it properly and pay the money or are some of the other services by the HSE or local counsellors just as effective?

I know its down to me at the end of the day etc... so its just a question - thanks for your help

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

First thing you should do is visit your GP and tell him/her about your situation. He can offer you advice and can refer you to an addiction counsellor and/or your local community mental health team. He may also offer something like librium to help you through the first week or so of detoxing from alcohol.

You've said it yourself, its down to you at the end of the day but of course support does help. Regular counselling and AA meetings particulary in the early stages of sobriety will be hugely beneficial to your recovery. Not everyone needs to do a treatment programme. Its also good to stay away from "people/places/things" that you associate with drinking.

If you have health insurance, some treatment programmes may be covered. If you are not working at the moment, CWO can help with payment towards the cost of treatment in a residential programme. The first step is admitting that you have a problem and you are already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 _lietome_

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement