Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G Versus Blackberry Z10

Options
  • 10-01-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys, which do you think is better?

I never had a blackberry before but the latest OS seems to be relatively easy to sideload android apps. I really like the Moto G but not the lack of storage.

A brief comparison.

Moto G: 16 gb, no SD, fully android

BB Z10: 16 bg, SD to 64 GB, quasi-android

More detailed:

http://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/blackberry_z10_vs_motorola_moto_g-c2546_1101bi080pb.php

The Blackbaerry will work out a bit more expensive and I'm a bit wary of BB brand but the specs seem good coupled with android app compatibility seems fine...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

No comparison, it's the most popular OS Android -vs- a OS that was dead before being released and is trying to get market share by letting you sideload Android apps. It's difficult enough to get good performance running Android apps on fast Windows or Mac desktops, let alone a phone (it just won't be the same).

If you are concerned about storage, the Moto G gives you 50GB Google Drive storage as well (not forgetting the 15GB free anyway) so you will total at 65GB Google Drive + 16GB phone - 80GB+ is very nice. You will regret buying a Blackberry, even if the specs are good. Same as buying a Palm Pre or HP Slate - both of them had super specifications but the OS was gone so what's the point. Go for a thriving OS with a great phone (I've convinced 3 people to buy them in the last week without breaking a sweat, lets make you the 4th) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

if it helps, the Tesco Mobile 16GB moto G £129 (locked but unlockable via ebay, ship via Parcel Motel) is orderable again from their website.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/398-8016.prd?skuId=398-8016

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

The BlackBerry Z10 is actually a really good phone. You should definitely consider it. With the new OS you don't even need to side load android apps, if that is something you want. BB10 is miles ahead in security, great at messaging, and I think the Z10 keyboard is also the best for typing. If you still have not bought I'd go Z10 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

advertsfox wrote: »
    No comparison, it's the most popular OS Android -vs- a OS that was dead before being released and is trying to get market share by letting you sideload Android apps. It's difficult enough to get good performance running Android apps on fast Windows or Mac desktops, let alone a phone (it just won't be the same).

If you are concerned about storage, the Moto G gives you 50GB Google Drive storage as well (not forgetting the 15GB free anyway) so you will total at 65GB Google Drive + 16GB phone - 80GB+ is very nice. You will regret buying a Blackberry, even if the specs are good. Same as buying a Palm Pre or HP Slate - both of them had super specifications but the OS was gone so what's the point. Go for a thriving OS with a great phone (I've convinced 3 people to buy them in the last week without breaking a sweat, lets make you the 4th) ;)

Wouldnt that be down to it running in a virtual machine/emulator? Also the architecture on the pc wouldnt be optimized for android apps, where the z10 runs a snapdragon S4 so id imagine it would run them much better.

In saying all that Get the Moto G , i find it hard to recommend another phone over it unless your going all out or are looking for something that has a briliant camera, the phone is a pure bargain, cash wise and specs wise

projectgtr wrote: »
    Wouldnt that be down to it running in a virtual machine/emulator? Also the architecture on the pc wouldnt be optimized for android apps, where the z10 runs a snapdragon S4 so id imagine it would run them much better.
    It's still technically emulated since its BB OS which has merely adapted to Android app sideloading, just like emulators on Windows do (Android SDK, AndroidOnWindows, Bluestacks etc.) and yes the S4 is an excellent CPU on any phone esp. on a native Android phone but in comparison to a Core i7 with 8GB DDR3 RAM for emulation purposes? No comparison at all, it should run amazingly well but it doesn't because its not native.

It's just BB hopping onto the Android train trying to get some shares back and failing miserably. Shame, they make good hardware (feel the same about Nokia and Windows OS). Speaking of which there was more rumours of a Nokia Dev phone with Android running on it, I've said since the start I would hop on that immediately if they made one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's still technically emulated since its BB OS which has merely adapted to Android app sideloading, just like emulators on Windows do (Android SDK, AndroidOnWindows, Bluestacks etc.) and yes the S4 is an excellent CPU on any phone esp. on a native Android phone but in comparison to a Core i7 with 8GB DDR3 RAM for emulation purposes? No comparison at all, it should run amazingly well but it doesn't because its not native.

It's just BB hopping onto the Android train trying to get some shares back and failing miserably. Shame, they make good hardware (feel the same about Nokia and Windows OS). Speaking of which there was more rumours of a Nokia Dev phone with Android running on it, I've said since the start I would hop on that immediately if they made one.

Yeah id love a Nokia Android, if we could get the 1020 or other high end Nokias running android id be sold. Do you think that Nokia Normandy will still go ahead? im still unsure what aspect of Nokia that MS have bought tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

jossul1179 wrote: »
    The BlackBerry Z10 is actually a really good phone. You should definitely consider it. With the new OS you don't even need to side load android apps, if that is something you want. BB10 is miles ahead in security, great at messaging, and I think the Z10 keyboard is also the best for typing. If you still have not bought I'd go Z10 for sure.

How do you make out that the BB10 is miles ahead in terms of security?
    Fact is that BlackBerry are finished in the touchscreen smartphone world as is the OS so this shouldn't even be considered.

Yeah id love a Nokia Android, if we could get the 1020 or other high end Nokias running android id be sold. Do you think that Nokia Normandy will still go ahead? im still unsure what aspect of Nokia that MS have bought tbh
    I'm not sure, I thought it would be a fully fledged Android with Nokia maps etc. and maybe some Nokia styling but it looks like they are sticking with the Windows overlay.

Nokia-Normany-press-render.png

http://www.talkandroid.com/192235-nokia-normandy-press-renders-leak-showing-phone-ui/?utm_source=feedburner-ta&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+%28TalkAndroid+-+Android+News%2C+Rumours%2C+and+Updates%29

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theyve bought their entire mobile division I think

Advertisement