Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega seamaster professional Quartz help

Options
  • 10-01-2014 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have an Omega seamaster professional 300m , 1000 ft quartz
    i am trying to find out if it can be modified to an automatic mechanical movement & how do i go about getting it modified ?

Hope someone can help answer my question

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

airplane1 wrote: »
    I have an Omega seamaster professional 300m , 1000 ft quartz
    i am trying to find out if it can be modified to an automatic mechanical movement & how do i go about getting it modified ?

Hope someone can help answer my question

thanks in advance

The answer is in principle yes it can, but by the time you pay for a movement of any quality and the skills of a watchmaker to install it (unless you know somebody/are one yourself) you'd be much better off selling your quartz (there's a decent market for them if its the full size, as they've been discontinued and they're a great watch - thermo-compensated quartz etc) and putting the funds to buying an automatic (a gently used second hand one to keep cost down).

Also the end product of your mod would be a sort of 'franken watch' so to speak, with no appeal to most - relevant if you were ever going to sell it - and which Omega would not service (I don't know if you care about getting it serviced or who does the servicing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Have to agree with Orlaw3136. Also it is near a crime to turn a nice quality watch in to a franken one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have to agree with Eoin. Also it is near a crime to turn a nice quality watch in to a franken one!

+1...why would you want to?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

+1...why would you want to?

Ok, in the interests of full disclosure....

I have an old Puljot watch. It has the most wonderful mechanical movement in side but the case and dial are in bad shape. Rusk marks on the dial and the case has many dents and has lost it's plating in some places. This watch was cheap.

So in this case I have found a mint case and a mint dial and am going to combine them.

Now, I know my name is Trigger happy and I know the story about 'Triggers Brush' from Only fools and horses but in this instance I think it is justified!

(Hides from abuse from the purists).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The other issue you'll have is sizing and compatibility. The movement may not fit the case, the movements chronograph buttons probably won't match up. Then the hands may not clear the inner case/crystal and the original Omega hands won't fit the movement anyway. It would be a very hard task I'd imagine. Personally I'd reckon you'd be much better off keeping an eye out on ebay and the like for a better Puljot case and dial. That way it would be much easier and cheaper and you'd have two good watches at the end as opposed to one not quite sure what this is watch with little value, even if you could make it work in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other issue you'll have is sizing and compatibility. The movement may not fit the case, the movements chronograph buttons probably won't match up. Then the hands may not clear the inner case/crystal and the original Omega hands won't fit the movement anyway. It would be a very hard task I'd imagine. Personally I'd reckon you'd be much better off keeping an eye out on ebay and the like for a better Puljot case and dial. That way it would be much easier and cheaper and you'd have two good watches at the end as opposed to one not quite sure what this is watch with little value, even if you could make it work in the first place.

Ah, sorry - I was not clear.
    The original Poljot watch that I have has a 2612.1 movement. This is a very specific type of movement as has a hammer and two crowns.
    So it will only fit in a case that was made for this movement, ie only a Puljot or Sekonda case that was designed for this particular movement.
    And that is what I have found. Tis in the post from the outbacks of eastern Russia!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have to agree with Eoin. Also it is near a crime to turn a nice quality watch in to a franken one!

Can't take the credit for that one; I only thanked Orlaw3136's post! You can be fairly sure I don't know enough to use terms like "thermo-compensated quartz".

Eoin wrote: »
    Can't take the credit for that one; I only thanked Orlaw3136's post! You can be fairly sure I don't know enough to use terms like "thermo-compensated quartz".

I need to stay off boards before my first coffee of the day! Post edited!

Advertisement