Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you made a will?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 11:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know it's morbid but as we push on towards the inevitable it's something that can catch you out.

A recent holiday where a good friend of mine was nearly killed really brought it home.

Please vote.

Edit: apologies, I didn't mean the results to be hidden, I've asked a mod to see if they can fix it.

Have you made a will? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    45% 22 votes
    OMG, doing it now :o
    43% 21 votes
    Atari Jaguar, what's a will?
    10% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It was on my 'to do' list last year, and carrying over this year. We really must get down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yes, a good few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

yes a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes when children arrived so as to appoint guardian for them should both of us depart at same time. Now updated to remove same and change executor. Simple one page job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Did it recently! Simple job. When you have kids you need to state who will look after them in the event that both parents die at the same time. Also the designated guardian can look after the kids' interests until they are old enough to inherit property etc (21 years) in our case. It reduces legal hassles etc if you have a will. Also reduces tax to the state! My mun died intestate and it caused loads of issues that we just didnt need at a time of loss. Family solicitor did it for €50...money well spent. Do it...you wont live forever!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...I keep meaning to get around to it...just need a little "will" power!

I've been thinking about this more now but I need advice on what I should have on my list for the childer to inherit, all I can think of now is my car and my computer, no jewellery to speak of and damn all cash. Will a solicitor help me out with this do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

CUCINA wrote: »
    ...just need a little "will" power!
    I was going to 'Thank' that pun but a "Groannnnnnnn" is much more appropriate. The pun was bequeath you.
    /Hangs head in shame

I'm sorry, "I'll leave it to" others to make more intelligent comments.

I recently saw a photo of a medical bracelet with the words "Delete my browsing history" engraved on it. I wonder if you can add that as a stipulation to your will, to have your solicitor hide murky murky sekrets on your devices?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,121 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OldGoat wrote: »

I recently saw a photo of a medical bracelet with the words "Delete my browsing history" engraved on it. I wonder if you can add that as a stipulation to your will, to have your solicitor hide murky murky sekrets on your devices?

Snerk. You would have to add 'without looking at it first, or I will come back and haunt you'.

That's the two mods taken the thread off topic...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Interesting idea.
    It would be the executor, not the solicitor though so be careful who you appoint to delete your pron collection :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I was going to 'Thank' that pun but a "Groannnnnnnn" is much more appropriate. The pun was bequeath you.
    /Hangs head in shame

I'm sorry, "I'll leave it to" others to make more intelligent comments.

Yeah, sorry 'bout that...I must have inherited my pun tendency from my ancestors!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Very important to make a good will, not one full of inconsistencies that will simply end up making solicitors richer and families falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yup, years ago as I was a single parent and wanted to make sure there would be guardians etc. I did make the inheritable age 25 though! As an only child they get everything, so no decisions to make there. The house will be paid off through the mortgage insurance, and that's the only thing of value I (sort-of) own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a bit offputting when you realise that you are worth more dead then alive.:eek:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

It's a bit offputting when you realise that you are worth more dead then alive.:eek:

True, and so often it's others who get to spend it for you. Think maybe there's a lesson there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

My husband and I :o began to SKI* a few years ago and we are still going strong. The trick is to manage the trajectory so as to ensure that there's enough left for the slippery slope itself and the inevitable 'hole in the ground' at the end. It's a bit like the law of diminishing returns. As we get older, our ability to spend (and the enjoyment thereof) will shrink along with the decreasing capital - that's the theory anyway :p

SKI - Spending the Kids' Inheritance

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭cobham

You can always pay for the hole in the ground and all that it entails in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The earlier you make a will, the easier it is and it takes less "will power" to modify your will as your circumstances change than it takes to write a will from scratch later in life when things are more complicated and you have "hopefully" more assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

One of the birthday cards I received on my 50th birthday advised that I should make friends with a priest and a solicitor. So, off I went to my buddy the solicitor and bequeathed my shed to Mrs. BrensBenz. She was deloyrah.

When I met the priest, he said something like "who the Hell are you?" I was deloyrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

BrensBenz wrote: »
    One of the birthday cards I received on my 50th birthday advised that I should make friends with a priest and a solicitor. So, off I went to my buddy the solicitor and bequeated my shed to Mrs. BrensBenz. She was deloyrah.

When I met the priest, he said something like "who the Hell are you?" I was deloyrah.

So Mrs. BB has shed loads of money to look forward to after your demise.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I just had a look at the will I made 20 years ago on the birth of the first child, and see that one of the people I had named as executor I have lost touch with, have no idea where he is now.

So fellow O 'n' Os, revise your wills occasionally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Yes we make wills to take care of guardianship of kids should we both go together. Now the new one makes the son the executor I think but not much else changed.

I think we could also consider a 'letter of wishes' to cover more trivial stuff such as who to give personal items. Maeve Binchy believed in writing a will every year. She remembered 29 friends in her final will I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cnoc

My wife and I have drawn up mirror wills. Two of our children are executors, and in normal circumstances should outlive the two of us.

Good point about wills going 'out of date'. I am more concerned now regarding executors - ideally it should be our offspring but I think they would find it overwhelming at this stage if they had to face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

We both made mirror wills several years ago when we started to travel without the children. Mr Jos was afraid we'd be killed in a plane crash together leaving the kids in a legal mess :D.
    So the wills have been in the blue file upstairs ever since. I became more conscious of what will happen after I'm gone when my parents died. I downloaded and completed a checklist of our possessions (link below) and it's great. You can list your bank accounts, insurance policies, pps numbers, passwords, bank login details......etc....etc. Basically everything the executors of your will need. My next step is to put it all along with the deeds of the house in a safety deposit box. I've been looking at one of these:
    http://merrionvaults.ie/

Link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/docs/form-where-my-possessions-are-kept-pdf.pdf

That list is a great help, thanks for the link. Regarding the vaults, well mine looks remarkably like a filing cabinet at the moment! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was just reading this article yesterday about how high our inheritance taxes are compared to the rest of the world. Would make you be a bit looser with the purse strings, assuming there's anything left to spend. And it does point out that the majority of wealth is tied up in property.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-has-the-highest-death-taxes-in-world-30158169.html

Advertisement