Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running near Kilmainham, safe?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello!

A bit of background: I'm a female in my early 20s, and I used to do a lot of running until I got injured 6 months ago. Between that and being busy the last few months I haven't been back to it yet.

I moved to Dublin (Kilmainham) 3 months ago, and now that it's the new year I'm planning on taking up running again! The only thing is that I'm slightly nervous about running around Kilmainham, especially in the dark mornings/evenings. I have bright/reflective gear etc, but it's more from the point of view that I don't know the area too well yet.

Do you think it's safe enough to run around here in the dark on my own? Is there some places I should avoid? I'm in Hueston South quarter so was considering either running along the quays, or on the main road towards Chapelizoid; I'm thinking they might be safer with traffic on them in the mornings/evenings!

If anyone had any thoughts or experiences running in near the area, it would be great!

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kilmainham is fine, perfectly safe. I run around there often enough and would never, ever be worried about safety. Even a 8:30/9 in the evening I wouldn't be worried. It's very safe.
    What sort of distances would you be running?

Just threw together two random routes there that are on well trafficed, safe routes. I'd take in Kilmainham, Inchicore on loads of my runs. Another option would be to head straight to the grand canal and run along the path there. Couldn't be safer and it's easy enough to get accross the roads. Personally I'd imagine the quays to be an absolute nightmare.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/343246787
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/343247949

MSB, Liffey Valley and Donore Harriers are all very close to where you're living as well if you fancied joining a club to have people to run with. Donore are a million times better than MSB and Liffey Valley, I'm only mentioning them to be polite. :)

edit: a canal run
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/edit/343250363/

the good thing about the canal is you can easily do different distances by just looping off at earlier/later bridges

• Registered Users Posts: 20 normad

Cool, thanks for that!

I'm was used to running around a quite enough town in the country, I just wanted reassurance that it wasn't stupid to go running by myself in the dark. My Mam is paranoid about me in Dublin and thinks that it's dangerous to step outside my house!

Thanks for the routes too- I'll probably start a lot shorter but hopefully it won't take too long to build up to those distances again.

I have a lot of training to do before I'd join a club- I'd be too embarrassed when I'm this unfit!! :rolleyes: But I'll keep Donore in mind :)

normad wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for that!

I'm was used to running around a quite enough town in the country, I just wanted reassurance that it wasn't stupid to go running by myself in the dark. My Mam is paranoid about me in Dublin and thinks that it's dangerous to step outside my house!

Thanks for the routes too- I'll probably start a lot shorter but hopefully it won't take too long to build up to those distances again.

I have a lot of training to do before I'd join a club- I'd be too embarrassed when I'm this unfit!! :rolleyes: But I'll keep Donore in mind :)

I'm not sure about MSB but Donore and Liffey Valley both have fit4life groups or something similar for people who are doing shorter distances or who are doing walk/run etc

You're never out on your own in Dublin!

Oh ya, they have one of them at home- I think that might be more my level at the moment!

I'll defo have a think about that. Thanks! I hope you're getting some sort of commission on membership fees with the plugs you're giving Donore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I live in Inchicore and regularly work late, so often don't get out till after 10. I've never felt unsafe atall, it's generally quiet, but not in a 'somone's going to jump out behind the nearest bush' way. I've gone up the quays a few times, and tbh it's pretty noisy and boring. The canal's a great option, and I do a loop through Chapelizod and back around sometimes too - a bit like the first route RacoonQueen posted.
    It's funny, I was reading an article in Runner's World recently - 30 things women need to know about running - and 4 of the item's mentioned getting attacked, such as 'Run with a friend - you're less likely to get attacked', and 'Don't wear headphones - attackers will target people who aren't paying attention'. I mean, we're not running in Baghdad, or Johannesburg!
    I know what you mean about country parents though, my dad thinks bad things ONLY happen to people in Dublin. Might see you around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Allo! I live in Kilmainham too, and I find it to be perfectly safe. However, if your runs take you up to James's Street do be vigilant, I have met some 'interesting' folk in and around the area. Stick to the main street and don't cut through any side streets or flats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Another one living in Kilmainham, it's extremely quiet almost all of the time so you would have nothing to worry about, my GF runs around the area all the time too and I don't think she feels in any way unsafe. Another plus is that it's fantastic when the evenings get brighter as the Phoenix park is right on your doorstep.
    The advice to join a club is good, I've been threatening to do it for ages now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Very cool- big group of us who live in Kilmainham! I run in the area every single day at varying times. I'd echo what the other posters said- very very safe. RQ put a couple really good routes up there- I'm a fella so don't really think about it too much but the canal has always struck me as really busy and well lit at night/ early mornings (particularly towards town).

On a non safety related note- this is one of the best areas in DUB for a runner to live. Phoenix Park/ War Memorial Gardens, IMMA etc all make great running spots /backdrops. Enjoy!

Allo! I live in Kilmainham too, and I find it to be perfectly safe. However, if your runs take you up to James's Street do be vigilant, I have met some 'interesting' folk in and around the area. Stick to the main street and don't cut through any side streets or flats!

Agree there are some characters about but James St. is very busy/ well lit at all times of day/night. Decent enough area for a late run as the worst you'll get is a scrote yelling dumb stuff at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I used to live in Kilmainham and echo what everyone else says.

The only thing I found was that the pavements were in bad nick and there was plenty of dog poo. It is worth keeping you eyes on the road ahead of you, at least until you are used to it.

• Advertisement

<3 the word scrote

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ventured out this morning, it actually felt really safe out- much more than I was expecting! I had also read a few of those articles on Runners World etc about being safe when you run, don't listen to music etc, so that's what had me slightly nervous at the start. But I can see now that there doesn't seem to be too much to worry about around here!

I am looking forward to the brighter evenings too, so that I can venture up to Phoenix Park!

Hey guys,

Just heard that convicted rapist is rumoured to be living in Islandbridge and jogging in the Phoenix Park. I don't want to scaremonger, but we're better safe than sorry. Please be careful.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/irishsol/homepage/news/5449039/Heuston-Station-we-have-a-problem.html

Hey guys,

Just heard that convicted rapist is rumoured to be living in Islandbridge and jogging in the Phoenix Park. I don't want to scaremonger, but we're better safe than sorry. Please be careful.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/irishsol/homepage/news/5449039/Heuston-Station-we-have-a-problem.html

Every time I see this pop up on Facebook I want to punch the screen.

Hey guys,

I'm not seeing any evidence in this article (which since it's the sun I probably wouldn't believe anyway) that he is either living in Islandbridge or jogging in the PP…. Seeing as he has been rumoured to be living anywhere between here and Timbuktu over the last couple of years, I'd most likely disregard this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hey guys,

Yes, that rumour is being peddled a lot at the moment.

Of course, you have to be careful, you always have to be careful, but that does not mean that we all have to lock our doors so that the Sun can sell more newspapers.

Indeed I too see the Sun as nothing more than fertiliser, but I'm a teeny tiny girl in my early 20's who often runs alone around Islandbridge and the Phoenix Park...I'd rather be unnecessarily cautious than strewn across the Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Its easier for us blokes to be somewhat flippant about these stories but I completely understand how women are concerned, those worries shouldn't be dismissed out of hand despite the tabloid source, keep vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Yikes, hadn't heard those rumours! I'm sure that's all they are, but scary nonetheless!

I live in Kilmainham too and run there most nights....have been for nearly 5 years now and have never seen anything dodgy. I wouldn't run in the park or the war memorial gardens after dark on my own though, I never carry anything valuable with me, besides my iPhone tucked into my sports bra sometimes, and try not to be out running past 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Yikes, hadn't heard those rumours! I'm sure that's all they are, but scary nonetheless!

I live in Kilmainham too and run there most nights....have been for nearly 5 years now and have never seen anything dodgy. I wouldn't run in the park or the war memorial gardens after dark on my own though, I never carry anything valuable with me, besides my iPhone tucked into my sports bra sometimes, and try not to be out running past 10pm.

you have this spot on IMO. Just keep it sensible and you'll be fine. I don't think I'd go near the Wart Memorial Gardens after dark either, but only because I don't know the area too well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement