Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off RC buggy Hobby.

Options
  • 09-01-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, for the last few weeks I am trying to figure out if its worth for me going down this rabbit hole. I am spending a lot of time watching RC car reviews and some general information on them. Mind you my knowladge is still on the most lowest level.

So far I from information gathered I decided to focus on RC Buggy brushless Electric style for a few reasons:
    1. I dont want Trial trucks or drift style RC.
    2. Knowing Irish terrain and Weather Buggies would suit perfect. Nice on road and off road
    3. I am not a fan of Nitro spec RC from stuff I read. It might be more realistic, but it is just not my cup of tea.
    4. Electric brushless Rc buggies would suit me perfect as they need a lot less maintenance and are simpllier in design. It would be part time hobby for fun, so I dont want to spend 90% of that time tuning and not messing around with damn thing. ( I am not excluding messing around completely, as my other hobby is Lego :p )

So far I learned that pretty much everything can be changed and adjusted. So even if you start off you can upgrade it later on, ECM, Motor, Battery, Shocks, receiver, serve, suspension parts.
    I pretty much learned about Lipo batteries, but motors themselves are still a bit of mistery and I don't really understand what do I see when I read discription in a shop.
    ECMs, I got a very general idea, but still a bit confused, what look for when buying and how to know which one is better. I know ECM will be a factor of how powerful Motor and Battery you can use, so I would like to get a good one from start.

Are there any hobby shops in Cork area so I could go and see for myself in real life what those RC buggies are. My knowladge is pure theoretical.
    I know there is www.crccc.ie in cork erea, but their website is very poor for info. All I know they do races on Sundays, but do they got some nooby free for all days? I would not mind coming out to a track now and then and mess around on a track in non competitive fashion.

So I want to start off and my Budget is not great. Firstly I want to see if I can even dip comfortably in to RC world. Like any person I would like to get the best bang for my money. Yes yes, one of those pricks who wants everything for nothing...
    So my budget would be around 250eu maybe a bit more. I want ( a strong word, I know ):

1. A good chassis to start off. Has to be durable and have as much proper metal suspension components. The very least shock towers. Has to have good fittings for all Battery sizes. I watched a very good youtuber lately and he does endurance and durability tests. I really dont want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDKsrsI1nc
    2. Brushless decent motor, has to be upgradable. So proper can size fitting.
    3. Battery. I know most likely it will be bought as an extra, so Lipo is a must. Preferably something like 7.4v. In general I would like an RC car which can run on 3s or 4s out of the box.
    4. Charger - No clue. Something safe and something that would not fall apart after 2 Charges.

So is it doable. Is it worth going in to this hobby. I would love to hear opinion from people who already in this hobby.
    Now race track would not be the only place where I could be able to use RC. I know few spots where I could just mess around with it and I am pretty sure nothing can beat some RCing on Youghal beach now and then. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

The best advice you will get is from guys racing rc buggies. (I race 1/10th electric myself).
    At our club we always ask people to come out to the track before you spend your money.
    Why?
    because the number of people that got the wrong advice on the internet and bought something that doesn't suit them is unreal!
    People are coming to our club all the time with some yoke they got, two weeks later they end up buying something else after good advice they got at the club.
    You will find that people at a club have a number of reasons why they use a particular model (parts, info, upgrades etc). Its not always because they are the best.

What id say for you to do is drop out to the cork model car club (their facebook is better), and have a look at what the lads are running out there. You will find them willing to help and give you advice.
    If youre not sure where it is, contact them via facebook. Every RC club is delighted to help possible new racers.

I think youll also find you get bored pretty quick driving an rc car up and down a beach, or around a football pitch. The real challenge with rc cars is to get them set up right and race them.
    Don't be afraid to race because you don't want to look silly cos youre crap ... everyone starts somewhere, and infact some of us stay crap (me). But there is different levels of racer in every club and you will always have someone to race against.
    Have a look at the getting started guide on the website on my signature, and a few of the videos.
    But do contact the crccc and drop out to see them.
    (btw, I don't know anyone there myself, or have any affiliation with the club)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The Doktor wrote: »
    The best advice you will get is from guys racing rc buggies. (I race 1/10th electric myself).
    At our club we always ask people to come out to the track before you spend your money.
    Why?
    because the number of people that got the wrong advice on the internet and bought something that doesn't suit them is unreal!
    People are coming to our club all the time with some yoke they got, two weeks later they end up buying something else after good advice they got at the club.
    You will find that people at a club have a number of reasons why they use a particular model (parts, info, upgrades etc). Its not always because they are the best.

What id say for you to do is drop out to the cork model car club (their facebook is better), and have a look at what the lads are running out there. You will find them willing to help and give you advice.
    If youre not sure where it is, contact them via facebook. Every RC club is delighted to help possible new racers.

I think youll also find you get bored pretty quick driving an rc car up and down a beach, or around a football pitch. The real challenge with rc cars is to get them set up right and race them.
    Don't be afraid to race because you don't want to look silly cos youre crap ... everyone starts somewhere, and infact some of us stay crap (me). But there is different levels of racer in every club and you will always have someone to race against.
    Have a look at the getting started guide on the website on my signature, and a few of the videos.
    But do contact the crccc and drop out to see them.
    (btw, I don't know anyone there myself, or have any affiliation with the club)

Cheers. I know its best to see it for myself and have a direct real life contact with object then reading on it online. That's why I asked if I can touch it somewhere locally :D
    It's not that I am afraid of competitive challenge, I love it in fact. Problem is I don't llike stepping in to it with no preparation or experience, hence I want some nooby time for myself.
    It would be nice to get someone on here from cork club. I am not the biggest fan of Facebook.

Where would Irish RC fan shop? Does not look llike Irish online stores are good value specially when you starting off.

If anyone here from cork rc club and would be willing to go with me to race track in cork and show me the basic, please pm me. I will try to get some more info from Facebook too. ( I build my own computers, but I just can't work out that damn Facebook mess... )

try emailing them... Crccc@eircom.net

then they know youre coming
    heres all the car clubs in Ireland, if you prefer a different type of car

http://rccaoi.com/index.php/club
    It's not that I am afraid of competitive challenge, I love it in fact. Problem is I don't llike stepping in to it with no preparation or experience, hence I want some nooby time for myself.

The best place to get nooby time is at a track. You learn nothing driving up and down on a beach (you also wreck your car with sand).
    Get a car up and running, then go race!
    Where would Irish RC fan shop? Does not look llike Irish online stores are good value specially when you starting off.
    The guys at crccc are the best guys to ask where to buy stuff locally ;)
    They will also be able to tell you where you can buy second hand stuff, and maybe even have stuff themselves that will get you running at the right price.

Personally I shop for some things online, and other bits and pieces like tyres locally. Prices are as good locally as they are online for certain things.

See where im going with this? :)... go ask the lads!

try emailing them... Crccc@eircom.net

then they know youre coming
    heres all the car clubs in Ireland, if you prefer a different type of car

http://rccaoi.com/index.php/club

The best place to get nooby time is at a track. You learn nothing driving up and down on a beach (you also wreck your car with sand).
    Get a car up and running, then go race!

The guys at crccc are the best guys to ask where to buy stuff locally ;)
    They will also be able to tell you where you can buy second hand stuff, and maybe even have stuff themselves that will get you running at the right price.

Personally I shop for some things online, and other bits and pieces like tyres locally. Prices are as good locally as they are online for certain things.

See where im going with this? :)... go ask the lads!

Yup. looks like the best way is just to go out there and have a look. I guess I better off contacting them first before coming as most likely they will tell me to "Fudge off son".

I am more of an online shopper myself then buying in Bricks and Mortars. the reason I wanted to know about shops is to see things in real life, but if I will be able to get to crccc and have a proper look of Cars in action, then I wont really have much need in getting in to local shop. :p

Time to write a nice email!

Yup. looks like the best way is just to go out there and have a look. I guess I better off contacting them first before coming as most likely they will tell me to "Fudge off son".
    of course they wont tell you to do that.. but by emailing them you know when they are running.

• Advertisement

of course they wont tell you to do that.. but by emailing them you know when they are running.

Just did, hopefully I will get reply soon. Might get misses with me too, maybe she see it as fun activity and wont be too pissed off by me for getting one more "Toys for big boys" thing! :o

P.s. Cheers for all info. Looks like this forum is not really active at all. I could not find any non dead RC car forums Irish based.

Just did, hopefully I will get reply soon. Might get misses with me too, maybe she see it as fun activity and wont be too pissed off by me for getting one more "Toys for big boys" thing! :o

P.s. Cheers for all info. Looks like this forum is not really active at all. I could not find any non dead RC car forums Irish based.

She might get a car too... and show you how its done ;)

theres this one for 1/10th scale off road that has a section for Ireland. Its quite active.
    I don't know what one the 1/8th lads use, but the guys in crccc will tell you im sure. :)
    http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

She might get a car too... and show you how its done ;)

theres this one for 1/10th scale off road that has a section for Ireland. Its quite active.
    I don't know what one the 1/8th lads use, but the guys in crccc will tell you im sure. :)
    http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Well knowing that 10 years ago she beated me at a proper drag strip and she was the one to teach me to drive, I would not be surprised her being better at RCing them me too! :pac:

Its a shame as I still did not got any reply from crccc.ie. I pmed on facebook and emailed them.

im sure you will....
    stick a post up on FB

• Advertisement
Advertisement