Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about extending

Options
  • 09-01-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

The following is really just a rough idea for now, I'm not dead set on anything certain at the moment, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I inherited a house which was originally built in the 1950s and wasn't drastically changed that much aside from rewiring and insulating including double glazed windows. There's a small kitchen area a bit like a galley kitchen and a living room/diner of around 336 sq ft. I'd like to knock through the wall between those to make a larger living room and extend on around the same size for a kitchen/diner. The house is a bungalow with a large back garden so there is plenty of space on the property to work with. The house also has an old heating system with an old Stanley range/backboiler which heats the water and the radiators. I'd like to change that to a modern oil system. So where to begin? Will I need planning permission for the 300-400 sq ft extension? Do I go to an architect for plans? If so, how much do you think I could do all for? I'm mainly focused on the building side of things as I have friends who can sort out electrics and plumbing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

golden pages. ring builders get quotes.

don't go on the internet looking for random quotes when its a how long is a piece of string question a 400sq foot extension will require PP. You realistically will also need plans drawn up so.

Get your plans apply for planning permission then get quotes in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ask the same question here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245

to knock a wall and fit an RSJ along with a structural cert would cost about 2.5k-4k

for planning the general rule is below 40 sq m you don't need permission for a rear extension. there's various rules, such as you can't go to close to a neighbours window. your garden need to remain bigger than X

Advertisement