Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just another lease question.

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I live with five other housemates in an alright house in a rough enough area. Our house has a mice infestation (we've killed six so far), and is very costly to run. The landlord is lovely.

I got an email recently about a past property I'd looked at and fallen in love with. The landlord agreed to let me know if it became available for whatever reason. Last week I got an email saying the house (three rooms) is available. I'm interested so I'm gonna take it. One of my housemates is my best mate and he wants to move with me. He hasn't the money to afford the deposit on the new place. I dunno why, but he never signed the lease. Laziness, maybe?

Either way, we're both wondering will he be eligible to get his deposit back or what's the craic there? We could argue the house is freezing (we've had heating for two weeks only since moving in) and we have a mouse infestation, but I think we'd both like a clean break with the landlord.

Advice please?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The usual thing to do is to find your own replacement with the landlords permission.
    The landlord should be present when deposits are handed over so that the new tenants get a receipt for providing them. They can of course be immediately handed to you.

Contact the landlord and discuss it with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The landlord should be present when deposits are handed over so that the new tenants get a receipt for providing them.

Which never happens.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

syklops wrote: »
    Which never happens.

I know, but it should be something that is requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Cool. So it doesn't sound like there should be any issues then. The landlord has a pretty strict set-up when it comes to prospective tenants. She usually interviews everyone quite extensively, but I'll make sure we offer (mate, in particular) to give her a hand.

Cheers.

Advertisement