Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[B]Coming out of the closets and getting real with people[/B]

Options
  • 09-01-2014 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Came across this video today and really liked it.
    The speaker says that the experience of holding secrets and feeling we cant be real with others is a common human experience. She gives some possible reasons why we behave the way we do when afraid and explains some of the consequences of holding onto those truths about yourself.
    I know some people who have posted here and maybe even more who lurk around this forum have struggled with the issue of coming out. There have been threads asking for advice on the subject and a lot of excellent stories and suggestion have been shared.

Maybe this video will be useful for someone and maybe there are other kind of motivational or inspirational or funny videos, posters, quotes, cartoons on the subject of Coming out of the closet that others might like to post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Watched that video recently and it's very good.

"Coming out" is still one of the best things I've ever done. For all the ups and downs of being gay, it's a lot better and much more fun than having to constantly pretend (to myself as much as anyone else) that I'm not. That **** was hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Thank you so much for posting this Ambersky.

Sorry if I go on a bit of a rant here, but as somebody who's not yet out of my closet, I've found that as the days and weeks go on it just gets harder and harder. To all my friends I'm probably as straight as you could be, I get with guys and they see me getting with guys, not realising that it's only a small part of who I am. My heart aches sometimes because I just want to scream out that I want to be holding a girls hand, or pecking my girlfriend on the forehead or dancing with my girlfriend. I want to be out there knowing that if I was blessed enough to meet the love of my life, I could bring her home and it wouldn't be a big deal what gender she was.

So thank you again, because I think that 10 minute video just puts things into perspective a little bit for me, nobody should have to live in a closet.

****RANT OVER :D****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Thank you so much for posting this Ambersky.

Sorry if I go on a bit of a rant here, but as somebody who's not yet out of my closet, I've found that as the days and weeks go on it just gets harder and harder. To all my friends I'm probably as straight as you could be, I get with guys and they see me getting with guys, not realising that it's only a small part of who I am. My heart aches sometimes because I just want to scream out that I want to be holding a girls hand, or pecking my girlfriend on the forehead or dancing with my girlfriend. I want to be out there knowing that if I was blessed enough to meet the love of my life, I could bring her home and it wouldn't be a big deal what gender she was.

So thank you again, because I think that 10 minute video just puts things into perspective a little bit for me, nobody should have to live in a closet.

****RANT OVER :D****

They probably know. They are waiting for you to say it so its OK for them.

I'm not in any position to judge, but I wouldn't lie to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Being in the closet was the worst period of my life. It took me time to come out but it was worth it even with the initial heartache.

Advertisement