Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBCNI XXIV

Options
  • 08-01-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

BBC 2 had a program tonight on immigrants in the UK.
    However, at the end of the program, the final credit roll gave the following copyright screen.

If I'm not mistaken, that translates to 24?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Lol, should have been MMXIV I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Well that's what happens when you are pretentious. What's wrong with just 2014? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Fans of Jack Bauer, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BBC always had a policy of Roman Numeral copyright dates to obfuscate the copyright date for the average viewer. Occasionally ordinary digits used.

I wonder how often they got it wrong before?

RTÉ used to do it at one point. Can't remember exactly when they switched to Arabic but I have a feeling it was in 1995 when the present logo was adopted. It might have been earlier, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Norn Iron is 1990 years behind everywhere else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 isn't exactly Arabic, their digits are different. Also they got it from India, hence Arabs call them Hindi Numerals. I think most people here can't read "real" Arabic numerals
    ١‎ ٢‎ ٣‎ ٤‎ ٥‎ ٦‎ ٧‎ ٨‎ ٩‎

But I know what you mean.

How did the Romans do Maths? They had Greek, Egyptian or Jewish slaves or Employees. :D

However the genius was the guy that invented Zero. Either an Indian or Babylonian. We have 60 minutes, 60 seconds, 360 degrees for circle and old UK 20 Shillings and 12 pence and 240 grains are a pound all because of Babylonian Mathematicians. Probably! They also had an "empty" symbol so as to have a place number system like ours instead of stupid Roman system.

The Romans were not good at maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Having watched TOTP (Top Of The Pops) '76 right up to the present TOTP '79 on BBC 4 it seems that the BBC may have started replacing Indo-Arabic Numerals with Roman Numerals in August 1976 and completely in 1977 onwards, however I can't say with certainty that this was the same with other BBC programmes
    On another note unrelated to this thread I would like to see TOTP 2014
    As regards Roman ability at maths I can't give a qualified opinion on that matter

Having watched TOTP (Top Of The Pops) '76 right up to the present TOTP '79 on BBC 4 it seems that the BBC may have started replacing Indo-Arabic Numerals with Roman Numerals in August 1976 and completely in 1977 onwards, however I can't say with certainty that this was the same with other BBC programmes
    As regards Roman ability at maths I can't give a qualified opinion on that matter

I had forgotten, but 1970s episodes of Doctor Who do have Arabic numerals for their copyright line. They obviously took a conscious decision to change to Roman at some point, a bit of googling seems to say 1976-7 as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

What What, you mean they have other years ?

I have only seen the same 1978 episode any time I have watched it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

They normally show a shortened version at 19:30 on Thursday to fit into a 30 minute time slot and the full version later on Thursday and late on Saturday however this week the 19:30 episode was complete so late Thursday and Saturday will be the same. I say late because the time seems irregular, also speaking of TOTP '78 it seems they dropped "colour" from February onwards at the end credits with the year beside it
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

watty wrote: »
    BBC always had a policy of Roman Numeral copyright dates to obfuscate the copyright date for the average viewer. Occasionally ordinary digits used.

I wonder how often they got it wrong before?

Not BBC but I remember another broadcaster put the date as MIM, which is invalid because you can only have an I before a V or an X. It should have been MCMXCIX.

We don't get very long Roman Numeral dates at the moment, unlike say 1988 which was MCMLXXXVIII. Less obfuscating these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

STB wrote: »
    What What, you mean they have other years ?

I have only seen the same 1978 episode any time I have watched it.:)

Not a lot of 70s episodes they can show at the moment...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

BBC 2 had a program tonight on immigrants in the UK.
    However, at the end of the program, the final credit roll gave the following copyright screen.

If I'm not mistaken, that translates to 24?

I didn't know, until I saw it during the documentary on Paisley earlier this week, that this was the BBC NI on screen graphic back in the 60s. My earliest memory is the graphic of the spinning globe - from the 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I didn't know, until I saw it during the documentary on Paisley earlier this week, that this was the BBC NI on screen graphic back in the 60s. My earliest memory is the graphic of the spinning globe - from the 70s.

Yes. As seen as late as 1971 by me. Think it changed when the Belfast studios went into colour.

Advertisement