Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting house mate to move out

Options
  • 08-01-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I am renting a house and there's too many issues with a house mate so I have decided to ask him to leave.

I'm worried he may refuse etc but it is only my name on the lease, what are my options.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Are you subletting to him if you are the only named person on the lease? Are there any other people in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

yes I think I am subletting as its him and I living there and only my name on the lease.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    yes I think I am subletting as its him and I living there and only my name on the lease.

You think?
    Does he pay you rent or do two payments go directly to the landlord account?

The reason I ask is that lease agreements tend to forbid subletting. You can ask him to leave using a breach of the lease as a reason. But that is assuming the landlord is unaware of his presence.

You think?
    Does he pay you rent or do two payments go directly to the landlord account?

The reason I ask is that lease agreements tend to forbid subletting. You can ask him to leave using a breach of the lease as a reason. But that is assuming the landlord is unaware of his presence.

Yes, id be subletting so. He pays me rent and i pay the full rent.

Landlord doesn't know.

Yes, id be subletting so. He pays me rent and i pay the full rent.

Landlord doesn't know.

Read your lease, you're more than likely breaching it.

• Advertisement

Read your lease, you're more than likely breaching it.

I'd imagine so, the point i'm asking is how would i get rid of him.

I'd imagine so, the point i'm asking is how would i get rid of him.

Tell him that you just found out you're breaching your lease agreement as you're not allowed to sublet, tell him he has to move out.

Tell him that you just found out you're breaching your lease agreement as you're not allowed to sublet, tell him he has to move out.

Ok, will do.

Ok, will do.

You can't replace him either. If you want a roommate get the next person to cosign the lease with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can't replace him either. If you want a roommate get the next person to cosign the lease with you.

Myabe.

The best advice in this thead is to read your lease. Don't make assumptions.

I'm guessing the landlord provided a bed etc for the room the house mate is in.. It's possible you are allowed to have one housemate.

Re how to get him out: You need to get him to understand that that if he doesn't go, you will - and that if you go, he will also have to go, because his name isn't on the lease. So either way he has to go. He can either do it in a controlled way according to his timing, or purely when you go and he gets kicked out.

Worse case, it's legal for you to dump his stuff on the street and get the landlord to change the locks (you pay). But you probably don't want to go there.

A better option is to first set a reasonable deadline, and then offer alternatives: eg if he doesn't have a new house to go to within 2 weeks, you know the B&B at X will take him on a weekly rate, and you will move his stuff there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Start walking around the house naked, they'll soon leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

From my understanding the other guy is a licensee so has zero rights but as stated it depends on what your lease actually says.

Advertisement