Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd 3G/2G problem

Options
  • 08-01-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭

I'm with Vodafone PAYG with a Huawei G510. It's running the latest Vodafone f/w, and it's rooted to allow me to run a different launcher (ADW) and do a few other things, otherwise standard.

Recently while at home I started noticing that occasionally I couldn't make any calls. I'd dial, the dialling screen would appear, and then almost instantly it'd display "Call Ended" and that was it. Same for texts, which would just not send. While in this state I could receive calls (from my landline) fine.

Much fiddling around with settings resulted in me discovering that by selecting the option to use 2G networks only, everything started working again (apart from being to use 3G data, of course.)

Has anyone come across something similar before? 3G reception at home, where I noticed it first, isn't great. I contacted Vodafone via the Talk to... forums which wasn't much help, but then I'm not sure if it's a network issue, a phone h/w issue or a f/w issue so I don't have much to go on. When I'm out and about the problems occur as well sometimes, but not always.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just an update in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem. There's a new update available from Vodafone (B195) which solved all my problems in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Alun wrote: »
    I'm with Vodafone PAYG with a Huawei G510. It's running the latest Vodafone f/w, and it's rooted to allow me to run a different launcher (ADW) and do a few other things, otherwise standard.

Just so people are aware, you don't need root to change the launcher on this device.

Just so people are aware, you don't need root to change the launcher on this device.
    That's interesting. What is different about it to other devices?

Anyway, I needed it for a few other things as well, so not a wasted effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You don't need root ever for a launcher. For any* android device, not just this one.

*might be some exceptions, like the Kindle Fire, but I can't think of any off hand.

OK, I thought it was needed, sure I read it somewhere but must have been imagining it.

Anyway, it's irrelevant to my original (unanswered) question, and the solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement