Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Surveyor Issue

Options
  • 08-01-2014 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hello,

In the last few weeks I've had occasion to use a surveyor on a house for sale. They provided me with a report and explained all the issues. As I had commissioned the survey myself, I was surprised when speaking with the Estate Agent, to discover my surveyor had mentioned all the various issues to them already, presumably when the EA let them in to the property.

I would have expected some element of client confidentially and I'm quite annoyed that information, which I had paid for, should be blatently provided to the other side.

Is this something that generally happens? EAs are not the most honest at the best of times so I certainly don't want them to have time to prepare excuses for my arguments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It's not personal information so I wouldn't be bothered about it. There's enough hassle buying a house without creating issues to get stressed about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Eglinton wrote: »
    Hello,

In the last few weeks I've had occasion to use a surveyor on a house for sale. They provided me with a report and explained all the issues. As I had commissioned the survey myself, I was surprised when speaking with the Estate Agent, to discover my surveyor had mentioned all the various issues to them already, presumably when the EA let them in to the property.

I would have expected some element of client confidentially and I'm quite annoyed that information, which I had paid for, should be blatently provided to the other side.

Is this something that generally happens? EAs are not the most honest at the best of times so I certainly don't want them to have time to prepare excuses for my arguments.

I agree with you here. You have paid (or will be paying) for this survey and it should be kept confidential to you.
    The surveyor has undermined your bargaining position severely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

The surveyor works for you. The estate agent works for the Vendor.
    I'd have been really annoyed if our surveyor did this. Seems highly unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I agree with you here. You have paid (or will be paying) for this survey and it should be kept confidential to you.
    The surveyor has undermined your bargaining position severely
    The surveyor works for you. The estate agent works for the Vendor.
    I'd have been really annoyed if our surveyor did this. Seems highly unprofessional.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, that was my thinking too. Very unprofessional. Won't be recommending him or using him again.

I wonder is there too much of a cosy relationship between EAs and others working in the property industry. I'm sure they get to work together a lot, so even if the surveyor is working for you, they meet the same EAs regularly and so you get conflicts of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

whilst he probably shouldn't have it in no way damages your bargaining position. if something has come up excuse or not the issue still exists and the cost of remedying such an issue remains therefore the bargaining position remains.

What exactly are the issues that have come up anyway ? Unless its major a few minor things would be expected to show on any survey anyway which would be laughed at if you tried to use to negotiate downwards with anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

D3PO wrote: »
    whilst he probably shouldn't have it in no way damages your bargaining position. if something has come up excuse or not the issue still exists and the cost of remedying such an issue remains therefore the bargaining position remains.

What exactly are the issues that have come up anyway ? Unless its major a few minor things would be expected to show on any survey anyway which would be laughed at if you tried to use to negotiate downwards with anyway.

I agree with you. It's just the principle really that I'm concerned about. I paid for a report to investigate problems. If the EA or homeowner want to find out what they are, they can pay the few hundred euro themselves. Part of the job I do myself involves consultancy and provision of data. Even if the data a client requests is identical to what someone else paid for in the past, I am still going to charge the new client to provide that data again.

Advertisement