Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Linux mini-PC type device?

Options
  • 08-01-2014 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

In work we are looking for small form factor device that provides USB, ethernet and possibly Wi-fi and runs Linux.

We want to be able to install a JAVA VM and run a console program on it. Anyone have any suggestions?

I was looking at the Utilite but I'm not sure if it's widely available yet.

http://utilite-computer.com/web/home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I can recommend the Zbox. You'll get them from Amazon. I'd say if you order today you'll have it by Monday or Tuesday. Theres lots to choose from with upgradeable RAM and CPU. All come with ethernet and wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Glad I read this thread ..... the Zotac ZBOX ID91 PLUS should suit a friend who was asking about such small form factor devices ...... ~€380 +delivery it seems on line.

Not bad for an i3 with 4GB ram ..... HDD at 500GB and 5400 rpms is a bit on the light side but should suffice.

So ..... thanks skylops for posting about this range ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Loosely related, I've ordered this and awaiting delivery, looks nice.

http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Wow thats nuts looking. I've a raspberry pi I'm very fond of that I use for xmbc and not much else. What are you thinking of doing with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That looks really good for the price. Didn't think quad-core ARM chips were common yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

It looks great, doesn't it!

I have an RPi too but find it stuggles for anything useful (multi-task wise). This is just in a different league. I stumbled upon it looking for a small device for a bespoke wireless AP project I am building. I will let ye know what it's like when it arrives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good ideas, thanks.

The ZBox looks great, probably overkill for us though.

I was also looking at these:

Mele A100 - could do with a GB of RAM
    CuBox - no wi-fi
    D3Plug - no wi-fi
    Mirabox
    SMILE Plug - nice but could do with a GB of RAM, backed by Stanford
    ODROID-XU Lite - no wi-fi, not fanless

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

I just sold my Pi and wanted something a bit more powerful. It's hard to beat the support that the Pi has, there's a guide for everything online.

I'm thinking of the quad core Cubox i4 Pro.
    http://imx.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i4-pro/

A bit more expensive than the likes of the ODroid U3 but has wifi, gigabit ethernet and a eSata port.

Can be had for €105 delivered, but wont be delivered til March. thoughts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ShevY wrote: »
    thoughts?

Well it looks really good initially, but there are two negatives (IMO):

1) I bet that processing power is still very limited for day to day use (though I guess it depends what you want it for)
    2) I got an acer c720 recently for less than twice that. Seems like significantly better value tbh.

Tell you what though - it could be good for some clustering craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In the end I went with the Utilite Value model.

Very nice enclosure with plenty of I/O.

If you were using it for a media center or similar you would definitely need the extra CPU and RAM of the Standard and Pro models. But for what we need (running Java programs that read from an USB to RS485 converter and send data over the net with some other bells and whistles) it's ideal.

I stripped down Ubuntu, installed OpenJDK and am giving it a good testing at the moment.

Interested to hear if it can approach the 1Gbps that the nic is capable of.

Advertisement