Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android device bricked..

Options
  • 08-01-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Device (Chinese) momo19

All of a sudden displayed error

"Unfortunately the mobile data has stopped" followed by
    "unfortunately the qq has stopped"

This goes in a cycle and it is impossible to get access to any apps or settings.
    I tried a hard reset using the pinhole. No luck there it just goes through the same loop.

I also tried holding the power and home button simultaneously but when the android menu comes on I cannot scroll down to the reset option because there is no volume up or down buttons. Only power home and reset pinholes.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, it's a new tablet and wouldn't like to dump it. Tried a lot of www without success....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you have any SD cards or 3G cards in it?
    If so, try removing them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Device (Chinese) momo19

All of a sudden displayed error

"Unfortunately the mobile data has stopped" followed by
    "unfortunately the qq has stopped"

This goes in a cycle and it is impossible to get access to any apps or settings.
    I tried a hard reset using the pinhole. No luck there it just goes through the same loop.

I also tried holding the power and home button simultaneously but when the android menu comes on I cannot scroll down to the reset option because there is no volume up or down buttons. Only power home and reset pinholes.

Any help or suggestions appreciated, it's a new tablet and wouldn't like to dump it. Tried a lot of www without success.... .

I did the same (or something similar) with my Momo 8. I managed to use the RKBatchTool to reflash the original factory firmware which sorted the issue.
    You'll need to get the device into bootloader mode (on my Momo 8 this was a indicated by a completely blank screen, as if the device was off) and while in the mode the RKBatchTool should detect the device is connected. Then flash the latest firmware on the device and it will automatically factory reset it.
    I think pressing the "Switch" button in the batch tool tells the device to enter bootloader mode. I didn't get it first time or second, so keep trying. The batch tool should show a green box to indicate the device is in bootloader mode and a firmware can be downloaded to the device.
    (Also will move this from Comp & Tech to the Android forum where its better suited)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

No SD or 3g cards installed..

Where would i get this tool and firmware? Sorry it being of chinese origin makes it difficult to deceiefer some google results....

ftlnn wrote: »
    Where would i get this tool and firmware? Sorry it being of chinese origin makes it difficult to deceiefer some google results....

The RK Batch Tool is used to flash Rockchip based tablets (I'm guessing your ployer is a rockchip as mine was, this is a guess though and yours might be different). If you havn't flashed a firmware to the device yet explaining the whole process you'll have to go through is a bit tricky, and I imagine you'll need to get the driver to install as well (this may be easier if you have an XP install handy as it isn't as secure when it comes to unknown/untrusted drivers). I had issues getting the driver working on Windows 7 but on XP it was fine. The Momo19 driver could be signed so this won't be an issue if that is the case.
    I'm in work atm so can't go routing for the firmware but have you tried the ployer site with Google Translate ployer.cn? Did you uninstall Chrome out of interest before it happened?

Nick

• Advertisement

Nick,

Thanks for that. The tablet belongs to a pal of mine, a newbie to tech so it's highly unlikely he uninstalled chrome before it happened.

So here is where i'm at:

Downloaded Rockchip Batch Tool v1.6
    Downloaded an image file from http://www.toeimusen.co.jp/~dp/firm/...1-20130218.rar.

Ran the RC tool (it does not list the device in the list of devices connected)

When i point RC tool to the (downloaded) firmware it says "load firmware failed"

On my XP PC it maps the drives but doesn't read them (ie no space used, space free info, cant browse em)

Any pointers from here?

Nick,

Thanks for that. The tablet belongs to a pal of mine, a newbie to tech so it's highly unlikely he uninstalled chrome before it happened.

So here is where i'm at:

Downloaded an image file from http://www.toeimusen.co.jp/~dp/firm/...1-20130218.rar.

When i point RC tool to the (downloaded) firmware it says "load firmware failed"

On my XP PC it maps the drives but doesn't read them (ie no space used, space free info, cant browse em)

Any pointers from here?

Make sure your using the correct firmware for the device, choosing the wrong firmware will very likely brick it! Does the batch tool make the tablet appear to lock up when you press "Switch" with the tablet connected? (blank screen/doesn't respond to power on/off button press) If so great :) that means its put it into bootloader mode more than likely (assuming the Momo19 works in similar fashion to the 8).
    Try to find the Ployer 19 model you have on the ployer.cn site and then look for firmware download. You should be able to get the batch tool and tablet device driver there as well. The tablet will be in Chinese after firmware flash so you'll have to do a bit of guess work to change the language to English :) .
    There may be other sites hosting the firmware but just to warn there is a risk you could end up with the wrong one and completely brick it. Tbh if your not comfortable with doing all this I'd return it for a replacement, if feasible? I did this to mine as a "last resort/nothing to loose" kinda thing but for a new tablet it may be best let the warranty sort it :) .

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure your using the correct firmware for the device, choosing the wrong firmware will very likely brick it! Does the batch tool make the tablet appear to lock up when you press "Switch" with the tablet connected? (blank screen/doesn't respond to power on/off button press) If so great :) that means its put it into bootloader mode more than likely (assuming the Momo19 works in similar fashion to the 8).
    Try to find the Ployer 19 model you have on the ployer.cn site and then look for firmware download. You should be able to get the batch tool and tablet device driver there as well. The tablet will be in Chinese after firmware flash so you'll have to do a bit of guess work to change the language to English :) .
    There may be other sites hosting the firmware but just to warn there is a risk you could end up with the wrong one and completely brick it. Tbh if your not comfortable with doing all this I'd return it for a replacement, if feasible? I did this to mine as a "last resort/nothing to loose" kinda thing but for a new tablet it may be best let the warranty sort it :) .

Nick

Nick,

Thanks again for all that info. Returning to base is not possible it was a demo model. I'm won't be able to download and attempt this until tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Again thanks.

Chris.

Nick,

Thanks again for all that info. Returning to base is not possible it was a demo model. I'm won't be able to download and attempt this until tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Again thanks.

Chris.

Cool, hope it works out well :) . It resolved the issue for me anyways. Out of interest was the device rooted?

Nick

Nick,

When you say rooted, I take it that means 'jailbroken', no it wasn't. havent been able to get it this morn. I'll keep you posted.

Ta.

Chris.

• Advertisement

Nick,

When you say rooted, I take it that means 'jailbroken', no it wasn't. havent been able to get it this morn. I'll keep you posted.

Ta.

Chris.

Yep, rooting basically means unlocking the device to have full admin privileges, which could result in a user deleting a core system file if carelessly used. I doubt that's the issue here though. Mine was rooted but I had the issue after uninstalling the Chrome app

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Nick,

So here is where i'm at:

Any pointers from here?

Be careful here, I don't think this is a Rockchip device....

Is this it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BP72QIQ

If so, it's an Allwinner chip, not Rockchip....

different beast altogether, IMO

For what it's worth, firmware update guide here:

http://androidgadgets.co.uk/update-ployer-momo19hd-a31-firmware-english-android-4-2-2-jelly-bean/

Nick,

Update on the trauma.

I eventually was able to download the firmware and flash the device. It's back working and I am currently downloading a later firmware upgrade. Thanks for your input and patience with this matter, it's really appreciated. One last query for you in relation to the momo tablets.

Since there are a number of chinese based widgets and apps installed, these tend to cause confusion with novice users and in an ideal world they'd translate when location is changed. Not that I expected them to, but in your own case, did you delete all of these apps and widgets or is there some work around besides that. Ie. The calendar and what appears to be a weather widget.

irishpancake you were right in your observations thanks.

For the record this was the steps involved in flashing the device.

www.ployer.cn
    allow translation of the pages
    there is a download section with all of the firmware for the devices
    i downloaded the rar (compressed) file for momo19 and decompressed to pc
    within the decompressed folders there is an app called phoenixsuit
    install this app and flash the device from there using the image which is also part of the decompressed folders.
    for decent youtube of this app in action see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxtMNMcKII

it chinese so at first i was not comfortable with either installing or running it.

I also fount this site informative http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/all-other-android-tablets-general-discussion/6213-rom-ployer-momo-19hd.html

But best of all was the assistance of the boards members.

Chris.

Nick,

Update on the trauma.

I eventually was able to download the firmware and flash the device. It's back working and I am currently downloading a later firmware upgrade. Thanks for your input and patience with this matter, it's really appreciated. One last query for you in relation to the momo tablets.

Since there are a number of chinese based widgets and apps installed, these tend to cause confusion with novice users and in an ideal world they'd translate when location is changed. Not that I expected them to, but in your own case, did you delete all of these apps and widgets or is there some work around besides that. Ie. The calendar and what appears to be a weather widget.

irishpancake you were right in your observations thanks.

For the record this was the steps involved in flashing the device.

www.ployer.cn
    allow translation of the pages
    there is a download section with all of the firmware for the devices
    i downloaded the rar (compressed) file for momo19 and decompressed to pc
    within the decompressed folders there is an app called phoenixsuit
    install this app and flash the device from there using the image which is also part of the decompressed folders.
    for decent youtube of this app in action see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJxtMNMcKII

it chinese so at first i was not comfortable with either installing or running it.

I also fount this site informative http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/all-other-android-tablets-general-discussion/6213-rom-ployer-momo-19hd.html

But best of all was the assistance of the boards members.

Chris.

Great to hear you sorted it Chris :) . You can "disable" the chinese apps in Android by going to settings->Apps->Click on the chinese app and choose the disable button. This will remove the icons associated with it and also stop it from running in the background.
    The other way would be to root the tablet and then use a root uninstaller app to remove them. I wouldn't recommend this way as the chances of messing the tablet up are higher

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I think I just bricked my s4 is any one into a nixer to fix it

what have you tried to do so far?
    How did you brick it?
    Is it not under warranty?
    what is the current phone status? Can you access the screen?

It being a samsung device I'd imagine it's pretty easy to restore to factory state provided there is no hardware malfunction.

Are you prepared to loose all data that exists currently on the phone?

what have you tried to do so far?
    How did you brick it?
    Is it not under warranty?
    what is the current phone status? Can you access the screen?

It being a samsung device I'd imagine it's pretty easy to restore to factory state provided there is no hardware malfunction.

Are you prepared to loose all data that exists currently on the phone?

I tried to root it
    Yes it is under warranty
    I can get it into download mode but no further
    I do not mind loosing my data

If it's under warranty I'd bring it back to place of purchase.
    I'm not sure about the damage possibilities of trying to root the device.
    If that's not you want to do you can reset the device by doing the following:

Carry this out at your own risk...

If your phone is completely locked up and you can’t even access the menus there is a second way of resetting the Galaxy s4.

Press and hold the power button to turn the device of. If your device won’t turn of remove the battery for a second and put it back. ( Do not turn your phone back on )

With your device of press and hold the volume up and the home button, then without releasing the two other buttons press and hold the power button as well. Hold these three buttons until you can read recovery mode in the upper left corner of the screen.

As soon as you can see it release the button combination.

To navigate the recovery mode screen use the volume up and down to go up and down. Use the power button to select an option.

extracted from http://androidfact.com/galaxy-s4-reset/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

@ftInn Was your problem with a momo19HD and what firmware was it/is it running?
    I'm just curious,as a family member is selling these and I'd like to know how people are finding the troubleshooting with them.

If it's under warranty I'd bring it back to place of purchase.
    I'm not sure about the damage possibilities of trying to root the device.
    If that's not you want to do you can reset the device by doing the following:

Carry this out at your own risk...

If your phone is completely locked up and you can’t even access the menus there is a second way of resetting the Galaxy s4.

Press and hold the power button to turn the device of. If your device won’t turn of remove the battery for a second and put it back. ( Do not turn your phone back on )

With your device of press and hold the volume up and the home button, then without releasing the two other buttons press and hold the power button as well. Hold these three buttons until you can read recovery mode in the upper left corner of the screen.

As soon as you can see it release the button combination.

To navigate the recovery mode screen use the volume up and down to go up and down. Use the power button to select an option.

extracted from http://androidfact.com/galaxy-s4-reset/

Thank you I will give it a go

• Advertisement

bazzz wrote: »
    @ftInn Was your problem with a momo19HD and what firmware was it/is it running?
    I'm just curious,as a family member is selling these and I'd like to know how people are finding the troubleshooting with them.

Bazz

Funny enough I was asked to evaluate this model for someone selling it. Immediately I put them off them because your average user was not likely to be patient enough to realise it was primarily built for the Chinese speaking. That said I found the device decent value once I overcame the problem listed. I'm not sure what the initial install was but I'd guess 4.1. After upgrading to the latest firmware 4.2. I found it a lot better in connecting to wifi, charging and other nuances. Also an annoying part is resetting defaults it to the Chinese language, easy to sort with some experience but not the type of call you'd want from buyers. I'm sure you could back up the image of the preferred state though. I'm patient with this type of thing but believe me you would need to be if you have any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Thanx for the reply.Yeah I've tested a few models and have had a good trial and error period with them.Had some initial issues with the 19HD but sorted most of them out.There are plenty of free backup & restore apps out there,that make the whole factory restore process,painless and quick.
    Regarding the Chinese Apps installed,they are not really a problem and easily disabled.Overall I think the 19HD is a nice device,with a great screen and value for money.

Advertisement