Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year?

Options
  • 08-01-2014 2:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of taking a gap year after the LC because I'm not sure what course I want to do and travelling is something I feel I really need to do! I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work or maybe getting a working visa somewhere!
    There is a broad spectrum of things I'd like to know
    1) Can anyone recommend a good agency to book with or something that they did that they loved?
    2) is anyone else planning on taking one? I'd love to know because I don't know anyone else planning on it! :o

Thanks for reading!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of taking a gap year after the LC because I'm not sure what course I want to do and travelling is something I feel I really need to do! I'm thinking of doing some volunteer work or maybe getting a working visa somewhere!
    There is a broad spectrum of things I'd like to know
    1) Can anyone recommend a good agency to book with or something that they did that they loved?
    2) is anyone else planning on taking one? I'd love to know because I don't know anyone else planning on it! :o

Thanks for reading!!!

Hi Katie.

First of all, by no means do I intend to shoot down your idea or influence you to change your mind :)
    I sat my Leaving Cert in June just gone and trust me when I say finding a college course that suited me was the hardest thing about it. I can honestly tell you I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do and I also thought of taking a gap year. However, after several meetings with my career guidance teacher I told her about my idea of the gap year and she gave me one thing to ask myself "After a year of work, travel, luxury or whatever it is that you intend to do in that year can you see yourself heading back down the road of work, study, essays, assignments, education and college?" So I went off and thought about that, and for me personally, I probably would not have. I went back to tell her this and she said "Well isn't it better you go with a general degree, graduate, travel with that degree and you could be lucky and pick up a job based on your degree and progress up through it, or you could come back after travelling and continue with a postgrad." So I went off and thought even harder about what I would like to do, and yes it took right up until July, on the day the CAO was closing for me to make my decision. I filled out my CAO with generalised courses such as Business and Arts in various colleges. I am currently studying Business and Accounting and I absolutely love it! :)
    Now, as I said, I am in no means trying to change your mind or anything. But like you, this time last year I was in the exact same boat. Luckily I had a great career guidance teacher who was a huge help so just ask yourself the questions I did and if you think you would have no problem settling into college after that then by all means go for it :)

Best of luck with the LC! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Thank you for giving me such an honest response and it's given me food for thought! My thinking is that I'd like to get a bit more life experience and open my mind before college!

Tough decisions :( I'm finding it the hardest part of the whole year hahahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Thank you for giving me such an honest response and it's given me food for thought! My thinking is that I'd like to get a bit more life experience and open my mind before college!

Tough decisions :( I'm finding it the hardest part of the whole year hahahaha!

You're welcome :)
    Haha I understand completely, I was exactly the same! Don't worry though, it will all fall into place in the end :D
    Don't rush it too much either, you've still got plenty of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I'm on a gap year now. Started college in September, possibly the right course just the wrong place. I dropped out and decided to take up repeating before realising I wasn't going to beat what I got last year. I'm currently still looking for a job but am getting nearer to getting one.

I still plan to go to College in September and study hopefully either BESS/Business and German in Trinity, maybe Law or Commerce in UCD or Law or Commerce in Cork. I have 490 points to play around with and my options are as wide open as can be. Any money I make will go towards buying my own car, inter-railing this Summer and hopefully Galway races.

Go with your gut, it's your life and I wish I had just had the liathróidí to be comfortable taking a gap year when I left College in October. There's a misconception among people at our age that you must follow the consecutive nature and norm of the education system. Don't be fooled. It's your life, do with it as you wish.

Work hard this year and make sure you make it all count. Next year is the freedom you waited fourteen years for!

Advertisement