Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On This Day - WLR

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Don't know what they call the new History Slot on WLR but does anyone else find it a load of crap, and very unprofessionally presented. Better off going back to the old format with Julian Walton if they want to do such a slot, even if it is old repeats of Julian and even if it means he breaks into song. It used to be much more professional that the current slot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Yea I agree its awful. I heard it for the first time last week and thought it was a one-off thing for the Waterford 1100 anniversary but sadly not. I usually turn it off when it comes on.

Julian Walton was far better at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Anyone from WLR on here that can bring a message to the programme planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Yea I agree its awful. I heard it for the first time last week and thought it was a one-off thing for the Waterford 1100 anniversary but sadly not. I usually turn it off when it comes on.

Julian Walton was far better at it

Julian got too big for his boots with show-biz demands like champagne to his booth, partying all night with the other local historians, shody primary and secondary research and having what some would call cavalier opinions on controversial historical occurrences.

seriously though, havent heard new format, havent heard any of it in a while, even though they are interesting usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

The on this day segment was dropped because WLR had thought it had run its course and it could no longer attract a sponsor,

Now that Waterford City Council are onboard they are using the old material and paying a actor to narrate,

its part of promo budget for 1100th celebrations

Max Powers wrote: »
    Julian got too big for his boots with show-biz demands like champagne to his booth, partying all night with the other local historians, shody primary and secondary research and having what some would call cavalier opinions on controversial historical occurrences.

seriously though, havent heard new format, havent heard any of it in a while, even though they are interesting usually.

Its awful.

• Advertisement

LiamD1977 wrote: »
    The on this day segment was dropped because WLR had thought it had run its course and it could no longer attract a sponsor,

Now that Waterford City Council are onboard they are using the old material and paying a actor to narrate,

its part of promo budget for 1100th celebrations

Instead of paying an actor, could not the council strike a deal with WLR whereby instead of the actor getting the money, they sponsor a slot for Julian. Maybe they might get it cheaper by doing this. Do they have to pay WLR as well for the segment. Would sound false economy unless the sponsor would have to pay Julian as well. The could also have used someone like Dermot Power or Eddie Wynberry to other men with a love of history and the city and county they come from to voice the segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Black Suir wrote: »
    Instead of paying an actor, could not the council strike a deal with WLR whereby instead of the actor getting the money, they sponsor a slot for Julian. Maybe they might get it cheaper by doing this. Do they have to pay WLR as well for the segment. Would sound false economy unless the sponsor would have to pay Julian as well. The could also have used someone like Dermot Power or Eddie Wynberry to other men with a love of history and the city and county they come from to voice the segment.

Yes some of the well known people of Waterford would have been a better choice, or even give it to a school each month to record kids acting it out as part of history class. The current new format is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

I think it's harmless enough, Julian is a legend but I had grown a little tired of his voice. Give it a couple of weeks to bed in and see how it goes, maybe he's trying too hard to impress early on. Look at the broader picture at least there's some effort being made to bring history to the airwaves, good or bad it's an effort.

Advertisement