Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BUYING A MK5 GOLF GTI: DSG or Manual?

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I’ve always loved the mk5 GTI and now that they’ve gotten so cheap, buying one is a no brainer for me, I just don’t know what gearbox to go for. Most sources seem to say the DSG is without a doubt the one to go for and you’d be an eejit to go for the manual. Apparently the system is far better than any of the F1 orientated gearboxes in some of the higher end cars of the time and is an absolute dream to use.

I’ve never driven a car without a manual clutch before, whether it be an automatic or a DSG/SMG gearbox. I’m sure they're great once you get going but what are they like in the real world with 3 point turns, parallel parking and stop-start traffic, I just can’t imagine doing any of this without a proper clutch.

Can they stall, could I end up going into the back of someone in stop-start traffic, do they need to warm up before they're any good and how have they aged as far as reliability is concerned?

There’s nothing wrong with a good manual imo but I’ve read so many reviews and they all fairly much say as good as the manual box is in them, you should be shot for choosing it over the DSG. Anyone with any experience of DSG/SMGs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I had a Mk 5 GTI DSG and it was a dream car. Like the OP, I was unsure when ordering the car but decided to go for the DSG.....best decision I ever made regards buying a car.

If there's a service history and the car drives ok, then I'd recommend you go for DSG. I think you'll be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had a 06 Passat for 4 years with a DSG box in it and racked up 243k km in that time.. never gave me any problems and as OSI says above so many advantages to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I only have experience of DSG in the mk7 and its fantastic. There are no extra maintenance requirements either

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

obviously manual

war2k10 wrote: »
    obviously manual

Why "obviously"? Have you ever driven a DSG-equipped car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have a manual. I probably would have bought the DSG if I had the money initially. I don't think you can go wrong wither way. It's a great manual box too. Just make sure you pick a good GTI. I'd read the fault codes if possible before buying, there are a few of the earlier ones going around with blown diverter valves or PCV valves and it hits performance but you wouldn't notice it in normal driving.

Cracking car by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Thanks lads, I nomally hold onto a car for about 2 years, what's it gonna be like to go back to a manual after using a DSG for so long, i'd imagine it's a bastard?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Why "obviously"? Have you ever driven a DSG-equipped car?

I have, prefer manual for anything outer than pottering.

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I nomally hold onto a car for about 2 years, what's it gonna be like to go back to a manual after using a DSG for so long, i'd imagine it's a bastard?

Well I haven't driven a manual in many years but it's increasingly not a problem as there's so many decent auto's around as the Irish finally get over their "fear"/negative impressions of them.

I've gone from a 02 Passat to a 06 Passat to a 05 A6 - all auto, the last two being DSG/Tiptronic and can't ever see myself driving a manual again.

But seeing as the next car I buy (when the time comes) will likely be another A6/A7, or an Mercedes E/CLS I won't have to - these cars are usually preferred in auto form :)

Good luck with it either way. Do make sure the service history checks out though. If possible scan the codes (you can get readers very cheap on ebay/adverts and the like) and whatever you decide.. enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

war2k10 wrote: »
    obviously manual

Yours is a compelling, well thought out and well constucted arguement with lots of salient points worth considering, but I still have to disagree.

Im on my 6th VW golf, a GT mk5 manual. My ma has a TDI mk5 with DSG... it's class. Would prefer it.

• Advertisement

I have a manual GTI, I haven't driven the DSG but not long after buying my GTI I drove an automatic car (with paddle shifters if you wanted to use them) in the US for a week and I felt very detached from the drive without a clutch and changing gears.

It was a pretty poor autobox and I know the DSG would be far far better but it would still lack the involvement of a clutch and gear stick so I'm happy with my choice of a manual.

I have a manual GTI, I haven't driven the DSG but not long after buying my GTI I drove an automatic car (with paddle shifters if you wanted to use them) in the US for a week and I felt very detached from the drive without a clutch and changing gears.

It was a pretty poor autobox and I know the DSG would be far far better but it would still lack the involvement of a clutch and gear stick so I'm happy with my choice of a manual.

My A6 has a Tiptronic box and Sport Mode, and Manual mode AND paddle-shifters. To be honest I've never bothered with the last 2 after the first day and putting her in Sport is rare enough (3.0 V6 with 225 BHP) but in practise I find the two gearboxes pretty much identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

OSI wrote: »
    The DSG in the Mk7 is a 7spd with a dry clutch pack, so as you say needs no maintenance. The 6spd in the Mk5 has a wet clutch pack though, which needs the oil changed every 40k.

It returns better mpg than the manual too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I would pick manual. I had the dsg in a TT and it was excellent. The best auto around imo.
    However I still missed the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

OP as always, test drive both and see which one you prefer. A well-minded DSG shouldn't give you problems but the manual clutch is reliable too. I have a MkV with DSG and I love it, streets ahead of the manual for me. Others feel differently so go out and try a few.

Advertisement