Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EMBLEM

• 08-01-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE ON THE ATTACHED FILE
    THIS EMBLEM WAS FOUND IN KABUL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

muttoner wrote: »
    LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE ON THE ATTACHED FILE
    THIS EMBLEM WAS FOUND IN KABUL

The silhouette on the emblem appears to be Mont Saint-Michel.

Mont_St_Michel_3%2C_Brittany%2C_France_-_July_2011.jpg

More about Mont Saint-Michel here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

I presume it must be some sort of patch from a French military unit with a history associated with the Normandy region recently based in Afghanistan?

In French slang "Michto" seems to have a double meaning as beautiful but also could refer to prostitute or opportunist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 muttoner

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY AND YOU DO A GOOD POINT THERE HAVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

A possible connection to Mont-St-Michel does not explain the use of the Irish tricolour.

Any ideas there?

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    A possible connection to Mont-St-Michel does not explain the use of the Irish tricolour.

Any ideas there?

tac

I've done a bit of digging and turned up some interesting stuff.

St. Michael the Archangel is the patron saint of paratroopers and legend has it the monastery of Mont St Michel in Normandy was built after an apparition of St. Michael.

In December 2009 French troops set up the first-ever FM broadcast in Surowbi district and the antenna stood on a peak nicknamed "Mont St. Michel" after the famous island in Normandy. The manager of the station was Capt. Michel, a 32-year-old Foreign Legion paratrooper.

I presume some elements of the French paratroopers or other troops use this patch which is why it ended up in Kabul.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/network/nato-unit-launches-radio-station-rural-afghans-426-pm

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/Jan/07/nato-unit-launches-radio-station-for-rural-afghans/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've done a bit of digging and turned up some interesting stuff.

St. Michael the Archangel is the patron saint of paratroopers and legend has it the monastery of Mont St Michel in Normandy was built after an apparition of St. Michael.

In December 2009 French troops set up the first-ever FM broadcast in Surowbi district and the antenna stood on a peak nicknamed "Mont St. Michel" after the famous island in Normandy. The manager of the station was Capt. Michel, a 32-year-old Foreign Legion paratrooper.

I presume some elements of the French paratroopers or other troops use this patch which is why it ended up in Kabul.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/network/nato-unit-launches-radio-station-rural-afghans-426-pm

All that is just fine and dandy, but does not explain the green, white and orange colour scheme.

I can't find any evidence in my admittedly limited library to suggest that the Irish members of 2iéme RPA had their own arm patch...:confused:

tac

• Advertisement

All that is just fine and dandy, but does not explain the green, white and orange colour scheme.

I can't find any evidence in my admittedly limited library to suggest that the Irish members of 2iéme RPA had their own arm patch...:confused:

tac

Perhaps it is an American patch?

Check out this video from Special Operations Command Europe who did a demonstration parachute jump at Mont St. Michel.

Perhaps there is an American airborne unit or special forces unit with a history linking them to an Irish outfit hence the Irish colors and the silhouette of Mont St. Michel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Could it have been stained with something yellow or even sun-faded at some point turning blue, white and red into green, white and orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

There are schools in Ireland named after Mont Saint-Michel
    probably religious and pilgrims connections too( I guess)
    www.mtsm.ie
    www.mtstmichael.ie
    Maybe it has no Military use but is the patch of some education/sporting/religious group of some Irish institution with some connection to Mont Saint-Michel

There also many schools and institutes and parish in USA named mount saint Michael
    Maybe an Irish-american connection or a Connection with the tricolour (state/city colors or something????)
    for example
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Saint_Michael_Academy

It does not look like a unit patch or military IMO probably related to some educational establishment

THANK FOR ALL THE REPLIES IN ANSWER TO WHY THE IRISH COLOURS ? JUST RECEIVED THIS BADGE

-- France 11th R.A.M.A. (Regiment d' Artillerie de Marine) Pocket Crest

• Advertisement

muttoner wrote: »
    THANK FOR ALL THE REPLIES IN ANSWER TO WHY THE IRISH COLOURS ? JUST RECEIVED THIS BADGE

That could be it!
    The base of the 11e régiment d'artillerie de marine is Saint-Aubin-du-Cormier camp Lande Ouée which is to the south of Mont St. Michel.

Mont St. Michel held out against tremendous odds against English attack centuries ago so it is a national symbol in France.

Advertisement