Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a Cadet graduation as a Civi

Options
  • 08-01-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, got invited to go to a Cadets graduation. Accompanying a female cadet, its a black tie event and i won't know anyone else there.

I'm pursuing the next cadetship in the air corp and want to make the most of this opportunity to network and get to know people. Any officers on here want to give me advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Don't try to ride her in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Good advice above, it's her show, you are a guest and a civvie at that, expect her be the focus of attention. Be polite, behave, have a social drink, not the time to be on the lash. If you do get talking to the other officers, weave polite questions into the conversation but don't be "that guy". Learn the rank markings, call them sir/ma'am, decent haircut, appropriate suit/tux (don't outshine her) and expect to be given a gentle "Oh, well good luck then" if you bring it up. Offer firm handshakes, make eye contact and don't be a twat. I've been to several of these and get asked this all the time...you'll be one of many. I don't remember the polite lads, but the dopey ****e who was well in his cups and got loud, I do remember, you don't want to be him. A quick word to his CSM the following week helped adjust his attitude....

Enjoy the occasion, congrats to your cadet friend, it's the beginning of an adventure for her.
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

irishrgr wrote: »
    Good advice above, it's her show, you are a guest and a civvie at that, expect her be the focus of attention. Be polite, behave, have a social drink, not the time to be on the lash. If you do get talking to the other officers, weave polite questions into the conversation but don't be "that guy". Learn the rank markings, call them sir/ma'am, decent haircut, appropriate suit/tux (don't outshine her) and expect to be given a gentle "Oh, well good luck then" if you bring it up. Offer firm handshakes, make eye contact and don't be a twat. I've been to several of these and get asked this all the time...you'll be one of many. I don't remember the polite lads, but the dopey ****e who was well in his cups and got loud, I do remember, you don't want to be him. A quick word to his CSM the following week helped adjust his attitude....

Enjoy the occasion, congrats to your cadet friend, it's the beginning of an adventure for her.
    A

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Won't be drinking, kinda know the rank markings, although the air corp ones will likely throw me off.

I think i'll be alright in conversation, i'm well spoken and quite civil.

Also, don't be a know all. Try to balance your conversation between well informed and interested, if shop talk does come up. If you decide to give your opinion, make sure it is (a) similar to others in the conversation (b) in line with government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

In my time it was actually in the Officer Mess Rules (I think) that you were forbidden, or at least discouraged, from speaking about a) sex, b) politics and c) religion.

My only advise is to refrain from 'talking shop', as well as the above 3 topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

youtheman wrote: »
    In my time it was actually in the Officer Mess Rules (I think) that you were forbidden, or at least discouraged, from speaking about a) sex, b) politics and c) religion.

My only advise is to refrain from 'talking shop', as well as the above 3 topics.

So current affairs aside from politics would be a good choice, also technology, family life, sports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Also, don't be a know all. Try to balance your conversation between well informed and interested, if shop talk does come up. If you decide to give your opinion, make sure it is (a) similar to others in the conversation (b) in line with government policy.

For shame should he voice an opinion of his own (no matter how well informed) that bucks the collective opinion of the flock.
    The emperors clothes are fabulous ,and our governments policies are always above reproach

For shame should he voice an opinion of his own (no matter how well informed) that bucks the collective opinion of the flock.
    The emperors clothes are fabulous ,and our governments policies are always above reproach

There is a time and place appropriate for being a rebel trying to change the world. This occasion isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Man, mingle and network all you like but in reality it will have no bearing on your cadetship application/interview.

Enjoy the night though, and I would ride yer one in the toilet, fcuk it like!

There is a time and place appropriate for being a rebel trying to change the world. This occasion isn't it.

Indeed he should nod his head and agree with all regardless of his own opinion.Says alot about a mans morals who is afraid to voice his own opinion.

• Advertisement

Indeed he should nod his head and agree with all regardless of his own opinion.Says alot about a mans morals who is afraid to voice his own opinion.

You aren't familiar with the military concept are you?

All too familiar infact.

All too familiar infact.

Man you are missing the point.

Goldie's advice is bang on, the OP intends to make a good and hopefully memorable impression. In the unlikely event that someone there is on a selection board and remembers him as a good lad, he might have an extra ace in the deck.

It won't happen of course because, it just doesn't work that way.

He is not going to show up and ruffle some unnecessary feathers in the name of rebellion .

He is not going to show up and ruffle some unnecessary feathers in the name of rebellion .
    Trust me I get it.
    But,
    Having an opinion different to others and being able to explain in an articulate and informed manner as to why is hardly rebellious and going to cause the GOC to choke on his sherry.It would show a thorough understanding of a subject and an ability to come to ones own conclusions and opinion,and a confidence to express it.Any empty vessel can do the noddy dog routine and regurgitate the line ''Oh I agree,indeed''. There again that's how many climb to lofty heights is various roles in this life.
    Perhaps I am being rebellious so taking advice from earlier on...
    If you decide to give your opinion, make sure it is (a) similar to others in the conversation (b) in line with government policy.
    I shall parrot everyone elses opinion and say if you decide to voice your opinion make sure its similar to others in the conversation,and in line with government policy.
    Wouldnt the world be a sad and boring place if everyone did that , then again those living in north korea do that and they always appear happy and smiling when caught on camera .Il end with that .

I agree indeed *nods head, licks monocle*

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

Also, make sure you swish your brandy in a clockwise direction...

Advertisement