Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education: Progeressing to Level 8

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there everyone!

I am thinking of joining the back to education scheme in September and I am currently looking at courses.

I currently hold a Level 7 in Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Sciences. I am hoping to study a level 8 Pharmacy degree this year but I'm not sure if I can as they state:

"A person holding a level 7 degree can only apply for a level 8 add- on year (honours bachelor degree) in the same discipline and is not eligible for new level 8 degree course in a different discipline."

How would I find out if this counts as a different discipline, I mean it's not strictly an "add on" year.

Any tips on where I can find more details on what constitutes a different or same discipline?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Realistically you would need to be moving into the final year of the level 8 degree to be eligible for both free fees and the BTEA. It would be up to the college you want to apply to to tell you if your current qualification is sufficient to enable you to move into the final year of the hons degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

Hi!

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify: I could only take part in the scheme if I enter a final year of a degree (level 8) in that discipline? So in order for anyone to do a level 8 as part of the BTEA scheme one must take part in an advanced entry programme and proceed straight to final year in a level 8 that is essentially the same qualification as the level 7 they hold??

I just want to make sure I have understood this correctly :)

Thanks again!

As far as I know yes it would need to be advanced entry. If you already hold a 3 year level 7 qualification you are ineligible for free fees for a 2nd three year period of study. You would need to be going into the 4th year of a level 8 course to qualify for free fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Realistically you would need to be moving into the final year of the level 8 degree to be eligible for both free fees and the BTEA. It would be up to the college you want to apply to to tell you if your current qualification is sufficient to enable you to move into the final year of the hons degree.

Was this always the case or are they tightening up on this now?

donegal11 wrote: »
    Was this always the case or are they tightening up on this now?

To my knowledge and certainly for the last number of years this has been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

paperclip2 wrote: »
    To my knowledge and certainly for the last number of years this has been the case.

just in the past it was common for people to start degrees even if they had an existing qualification sometimes in a different field.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

donegal11 wrote: »
    just in the past it was common for people to start degrees even if they had an existing qualification sometimes in a different field.
    Yes but I doubt they would have gotten btea for it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

yeah people did get btea in the past if they had an existing level 7 degree and started a new level 8 degree, i know a few friends that got it, stopped this do from September 2013. only an add - on year in similar course

The free fees scheme I believe is still something everyone is eligible for even if you hold a Level 7 and want to progress to Level 8 but you could not get it if you wanted to undertake a second Level 7 course.

My Level 7 is obsolete I cannot get work with it and want to re-skill in the same discipline but specify it a bit more. I'm not sure what this "add on year" is about as if every degree has a top up year because there basically are no advanced entry degrees (very few, or at least none that relate to me) that accept a level 7 qualification.

Has anyone out these availed of this scheme having had a level 7 from before? If so what kind of documentation or proof did you need to submit of your qualification???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I was in exact same situation as you last summer.i was told the wrong information right up to the first day of starting my new course to be told I have to pay full fees! I inquired and was told I am only ably to do an "add on year" but I failed to find anywhere that was an add on year with regards to the level 7 I already hold,there was one or two I came across bit they were 2 year duration. It's a strange criteria to bring out. Doesn't make much sense,yes if there are actually add on year to be able to do, but I couldn't find any.

Social welfare said they would give me btea for this imaginary add on year in my course,I explained there was no add on but they didn't want to know. These new changes came in last January, 2013.

• Advertisement

Hmmm it's a conundrum alright, I'm considering leaving previous education blank and if they ask any questions just say I forgot or missed that section. The BTEA really only applies if you have no education so if you want to re-skill you need deep pockets which you won't have of course but your degree is worth crud all hence wanting to re-skill. It's a circle :-/ Thanks for the info though, what did you end up doing in the end??

Advertisement