Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for new N11 Commuter

Options
  • 08-01-2014 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm considering getting a bike on the BTW scheme and cycling in to work.
    I will be cycling from Bray to Clonskeigh via N11 (about 14k I think) and was wandering if a road bike would be more suitable for the job as as opposed a Hybrid?

The Local Bike Shop suggested a Trek 7.3 Hybrid, seems like a nice bike but I don't have a clue.

Also, any advice for me on the route? It looks like cycle lanes the whole way so I should be fine right?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Hey Crowman,

Good on you, once you start cycling in and out of work it's easy to get hooked!

Had a quick look at the 7.3 hybrid. Don't know what your budget is, but i'd stay away from this bike if I was you. I don't think it's particularly important whether you get a hybrid or a road bike (although personally I find a flat bar road bike much better for commuting as you have better vision and braking than on a road bike with drops). I would suggest something with carbon forks would help absorb vibrations and make your commute that bit more enjoyable.

You need to ask yourself what you are looking for, and how often you are likely to use the bike. 14 k each way is a reasonable distance, I would be inclined to invest the extra few quid and get something that you really enjoy cycling on. FWIW, I bought a Giant Rapid 3 a few years ago for commuting and absolutely love it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I travel along the N11 most days from Shankill to Ballsbridge. A road bike will be fine. Use the bus lanes as the cycle lanes are full of debris and you will get puncture after punture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I agree with mirrormatrix. A roadbike with flat bars is the way to go. I have a 15km each way commute. You need a roadbike for 30km a day, and I find the flat bars are far more comfortable, especially if regularly having to stop at traffic lights as you approach the city

And if you dont spend the money on something comfortable, the 14km ride will get tiresome very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

If your route involves navigating tightly packed stopped (or very slow) traffic, then drop bars will make it easier to get through it. You can have the best of both worlds with bartop levers

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

If your route involves navigating tightly packed stopped (or very slow) traffic, then drop bars will make it easier to get through it. You can have the best of both worlds with bartop levers

Agree with this, the narrower profile makes those 'will I / won't I fit' moments a lot more predictable.

• Advertisement

When fitting flat bars on a road bike, the shop would fit narrower profile ones than you would get on a hybrid. At least in my experience. Mine are actually narrower than the drop bars on my other bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I cycle the N11 from Greystones to city centre every day - 27km each way - and use a road bike with drop bars. Haven't had any issues that would make me think a flat bar road bike would be better. Then again it's a longer commute, and each to their own.

On the route itself, as said above, some of the cycle lanes are woeful and I avoid where possible. From Stillorgan to Fosters Avenue is a bit messy, and ideally I'd stick to the cycle lane. But in busy traffic that can sometimes be a bit hairy with buses and left turning traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated.
    I think a Road bike with flat bars sounds like a good idea.
    Any advice on the road bike I should get? Any other modifications to the bike you'd recommend?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've a 13km each way commute every day. I'd recommend a road bike. Far more comfortable with the range of hand positions available and probably a bit quicker too.

Paddigol wrote: »
    I cycle the N11 from Greystones to city centre every day - 27km each way - and use a road bike with drop bars. Haven't had any issues that would make me think a flat bar road bike would be better. Then again it's a longer commute, and each to their own.

Its the constant stopping and starting at traffic lights in the last 2 miles of my 10 mile commute that get to me. More of a range of movement in my back from the riding to the sitting position with the drop bars compared to the flat ones. It just makes my back ache. But there again I dont have bartop levers.

With a longer and uninterrupted commute and I probably would fit drop bars on my commuting bike. I certainly would with a 54km round trip!

The OP doesnt sound like the most experienced cyclist (sorry if I'm wrong OP!!), so I would probably go with the flat bars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

For that distance I don't think it makes much of a difference to be honest.
    I prefer my Hybrid for my short 5 km commute but I think that I would slightly prefer a drop-bar road-bike for a 14km commute.

If it's much of a muchness then one big plus of a drop-bar bike is that it's more suitable if you want to extend your cycling and do it as a leisure activity.

Plenty of relaxed geometry drop-bar bikes which won't have you bent over too far and that will take decent mudguards and pannier racks - a must IMO for a commuter.

You can't go much wrong either way - worst but admittedly not that bad case scenario IMO is you decide that you also want a drop-bar road bike after you get addicted and regret buying a straight bar bike. So that's why I'd lean towards a drop-bar bike.

Don't worry about drop-bars. I learnt to ride a bike last May - ie from not even being able to balance on a bike - and started riding a drop-bar bike in August.

quozl wrote: »
    that will take decent mudguards and pannier racks - a must IMO for a commuter.

THIS!!!! I hate with a passion those who commute to work, normally on really smart road bikes, that do not fit mudguards or clip on splash guards. Nothing like a face full of roadwater on a wet day when you're behind them, even by a good few metres....or even when just cycling through a puddle. Is so ignorant. Don't be one of those guys, OP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

THIS!!!! I hate with a passion those who commute to work, normally on really smart road bikes, that do not fit mudguards or clip on splash guards.

Do you know these people? Because if you don't, you're cycling way too close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

THIS!!!! I hate with a passion those who commute to work, normally on really smart road bikes, that do not fit mudguards or clip on splash guards. Nothing like a face full of roadwater on a wet day when you're behind them, even by a good few metres....or even when just cycling through a puddle. Is so ignorant. Don't be one of those guys, OP

Be ahead then .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Crowman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm considering getting a bike on the BTW scheme and cycling in to work.
    I will be cycling from Bray to Clonskeigh via N11 (about 14k I think) and was wandering if a road bike would be more suitable for the job as as opposed a Hybrid?

The Local Bike Shop suggested a Trek 7.3 Hybrid, seems like a nice bike but I don't have a clue.

Also, any advice for me on the route? It looks like cycle lanes the whole way so I should be fine right?

Thanks.

Depending on whereabouts in Clonskeagh you are going I would turn off at Cornelscourt and use Rock Road thereby missing the worst of the N11. It may be slightly longer but in my opinion a much nicer cycle. Also you dont have the long drag up to Whites Cross. If you are going anywhere near the Beech Hill area of Clonskeagh I would give it a try.

Do you know these people? Because if you don't, you're cycling way too close to them.

10 metres behind and you still get water in your face if you are travelling any kind of speed

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Its the constant stopping and starting at traffic lights in the last 2 miles of my 10 mile commute that get to me. More of a range of movement in my back from the riding to the sitting position with the drop bars compared to the flat ones. It just makes my back ache. But there again I dont have bartop levers.

With a longer and uninterrupted commute and I probably would fit drop bars on my commuting bike. I certainly would with a 54km round trip!

The OP doesnt sound like the most experienced cyclist (sorry if I'm wrong OP!!), so I would probably go with the flat bars

No apologies needed! You'd be right I'm not an experienced cyclist.
    I just don't' want to waste my BTW scheme bike on something I end up regretting and go back to driving to work everyday, I'm determined to make a go of this!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

10 metres behind and you still get water in your face if you are travelling any kind of speed

Just drop out of the slipstream to either side by a foot or so and you'll arrive with a clean face.
    Sounds like serious Commuter Racing carry on here.....

Ten metres? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Ten metres? Seriously?

they overtake you. pull in 2 feet in front of your wheel. spray you with crap. and bugger off.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Just drop out of the slipstream to either side by a foot or so and you'll arrive with a clean face.
    Sounds like serious Commuter Racing carry on here.....

Or people could just buy clip on splash guards.

But thats probably not cool

Vladimir, yes, 10 metres in wet conditions at speed, like it has been all week. Cycling down the embankment in London at speed, with many fast cyclists in a line, clearly club cyclists, with cars outside you, so no room to cycle a yard further out. I just think it is ignorant.

In all my years cycling I've yet to encounter spray that goes as far back as 10 metres.

You're only going to get spray if you draft another rider.

Do you think it's "ignorant" that cars aren't fitted with splash guards?

splash guards have been standard on cars since 1966.
    the fact that they dont work very well is another story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Y'all talkin' fenders here?
    :)

them yokes that are always falling off my car!

mud flaps maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Road bikes with drop bars is the way - flat bars limit your positions as others have pointed out. Also, if you take up cycling at weekends, it will lend itself to a more versatile bike.

TBH, I rarely use the drops, unless the gauntlet has been thrown down for a commuter race (which you'll get to know and love :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Most entry level road bikes will sport a fairly relaxed geometry anyway and contrary to what the people who call their hybtods 'flat bar road bikes' seem to believe, riding upright on flat bars or on the hoods (the soft silicon bits over the brake levers) on drops are pretty much the same. I have a weekly 40km commute city centre to Bray and I see zero benefit to using flat bars on the N11.

There are some superb bikes out there for longish commutes that will also allow you to spread your wings on the open road.

Nowadays I only want flatbars on my city centre beater bike...you just can't beat being able to get under the wind on a rough day or the extra sense of control and security you get descending hills/going fast tucked into the drops.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I cycle the n11 every day, when I am not laid up as I am at the moment!

Drops are much comfier, I haven't the sportiest bike, but it is lovely to get in under wind and have room to fit between cars.

I avoid a lot/most of the cycle lanes and cycle in the bus, they are full of shíte, and don't make a lot of sense at all. Some are downright dangerous (see 'new improved' cycle lane by the Radisson/Fosters Avenue. Ant it's no the only one!). Prepare to be beeped by buses. Otherwise it's ok. Good luck. (Bring tubes. There is so much glass on the n11 it's unreal :eek:) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

contrary to what the people who call their hybtods 'flat bar road bikes' seem to believe, riding upright on flat bars or on the hoods (the soft silicon bits over the brake levers) on drops are pretty much the same.

I couldn't disagree more. You are more upright on a flat bar bike, even with a relaxed geometry road bike. This isn't the major advantage however. Major advantage in my opinion is braking, which is never as good or as quick from the hoods of a road bike as on a flat bar. A second set of brake levers on your road bike would solve this problem, but then you have to factor in the extra expense.

An out and out road bike is obviously far more suitable to long spins at the weekend, but for these sort of spins you're also going to want SPDs, which don't lend themselves to commuting in an urban environment.

Advertisement