Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insulation Advice Needed

Options
  • 08-01-2014 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

I want to get some insulation work done on my house (12 year old 4 bedroom 1350 sq ft bungalow). Specifically, attic insulation and wall cavity insulation. I plan to avail of the SEAI grants. Can any members recommend a company to use in the Kerry area and what would be the approx. cost of this work. The house, despite being relatively new, was very poorly insulated when built.

Any feedback, particularly from people in Kerry who have undertaken this type of work, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would insulate the attic myself if i were you alot of money to be saved there, one Saturday and you will get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JP147

Thanks for the reply WikiHow.

I am as far from Tim the Tool Man as is possible, utterly useless at DIY. So doing it myself isn't really a runner.

I see that some different materials can be used for the attic job - what is the best one, or do all achieve a similar level of efficiency?

Glass mineral wool like Knauf Insulation is prob the most used by contractors, don't get the blown recycled insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

WikiHow wrote: »
    Don't get the blown recycled insulation.

Why not ??

hexosan wrote: »
    Why not ??
    Very messy stuff, makes the attic a nightmare afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056682402/12/#post88339943
    OP would you post here for recommendations thanks

I have done that Bryan, thanks for the direction.

I would still like to hear from people re their experiences with this type of work, eg the best materials to use and pitfalls to avoid. Also, the approximate cost would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

JP147 wrote: »
    I would still like to hear from people re their experiences with this type of work, eg the best materials to use and pitfalls to avoid. Also, the approximate cost would be useful.

Why not have the house properly surveyed for heat loss (such as thermal imaging and pressurisation test) and then take the advise of the independent surveyor based on the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭blacktea

There is a list of registered contractors on the seai beh webpage. You must use one of these. The products used must be nsai certified so be careful choosing products independently. Generally the contractor would have nsai registered products they normally use. Although you can specify a product as long as its nsai certified.

If you have the money to go the extra mile, micks advice makes sense.

In my experience, cavity bead with good conductivity and at least 300mm fibre on attic is most economic solution. If you have a larger budget follow micks advice.

Thanks Mick/Blacktea.

What would be the cost of such a survey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭McDook

My Dad used to use 3 fills of a 1000 liter oil tank each winter.
    About 5 years ago we insulated his attic one weekend. The next winter he used 1.5 fills.
    So then we got all the outside walls insulated on the inside with 50mm insulated plaster slabs.

Since then he fills the tank once every 2 years.

3000 liters pre insulation.
    1500 liters with attic insulated.
    500 liters with attic and walls insulated.

Well worth doing.

JP147 wrote: »
    Thanks Mick/Blacktea.

What would be the cost of such a survey?

pm sent

McDook wrote: »
    Well worth doing.

Agreed, if the primary heat loss mechanism is heat conduction through the solid building elements. Can be is waste of money though, if primary mechanism is not heat conduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

Hello,

I am planning to replace the wooden windows in my house (built in the 80s) and I heard something about a grant available for new windows. I don't see anything on the SEAI website and wondering does anyone know if there is such a grant?

Wings2010 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am planning to replace the wooden windows in my house (built in the 80s) and I heard something about a grant available for new windows. I don't see anything on the SEAI website and wondering does anyone know if there is such a grant?

There is no grant, as such, for window replacement. However, you may have heard about the home improvement tax incentive announced in the last budget. I think you will find more info on revenue's website.

Advertisement