Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead bait bait elastic

Options
  • 08-01-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Went to the tackle shop, gt dead baits, rigs etc for a days piking. Forgot to get bait elastic. Would elastic bands do, or would they be off putting or dangerous even if the pike managed to swallow one?
    Tackle shop a good 40mins away:(
    Or does anyone have any homemade things they do?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

is there any craft/sewing shops etc nearby? elasticated sewing thread. basically same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

is there any craft/sewing shops etc nearby? elasticated sewing thread. basically same thing

Havnt a clue but il have a look this morn. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

what kind of baits are you using, and are you casting long distances? I have never used elastic for deadbaiting before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have used elasticated sewing thread with no problems when beach fishing but I never had need for bait elastic when pike fishing. Do you really need it?

I had trouble before years ago when i was a junior in a club when the weather was mild with the bait defrosting. A man handed me some bait elastic and i've used it ever since. Maybe i wont need it, just going to a river. Probably should have showed me how to hook deadbait better maybe:p
    what kind of baits are you using

Mixed pike pack of smelt, roach, mackeral tails and a herring i think it is.

• Advertisement

Mixed pike pack of smelt, roach, mackeral tails and a herring i think it is.

you wont need it then :)
    I prefer to have my deadbaits defrosted before I cast in. put one treble through the root of the tail, and the other into the root of the dorsal fin. A lot of it has to do with the cast as well, when I was learing to dead bait I cracked off a lot of baits as my casts were very jerky. Mackeral is a great bait to cast distaces, it can be cast to the horizon!

you wont need it then :)
    I prefer to have my deadbaits defrosted before I cast in.

Cheers. I'll try that, I've always just took them out of the freezer just before i've hopped in the car. Should i leave them out the night before so?

Cheers. I'll try that, I've always just took them out of the freezer just before i've hopped in the car. Should i leave them out the night before so?

all do is throw a few into the margins while im setting up. a few mins in there and they will defrost. I take them out of the freezer before I hop into the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Bait elastic can be very useful for pike fishing, especially if you are using a needle to pump the bait up with air for buoyancy. The elastic can be used for creating an air pocket inside the fish.

It can also help in reducing lost baits. If you've forked out a quid (or more) for a bait, it's much better to see a pike spit it up along the trace than to lose it.
    Of course there is also a reduced chance of casting it off.

As has been said any elastic would do. Sewing elastic would be perfect.

Advertisement