Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Cross Sport Accumulator

Options
  • 08-01-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So just for fun thinking of putting together a reasonably long-term accumulator across a range of sports..without any selection being too short odds wise. Will put together about 6 or 7 selections that will be fun to follow and might do a couple of variations too.
    Will place 5e or 10e on each accumulator.

initial thoughts are
    Football
    Man City to win premier league - Evs
    Bayern Munich to win champs league - 13/5
    Brazil to win World Cup - 10/3
    Tennis
    Djokovic to win Aus Open - 11/10
    Rugby
    Clermont to win Heineken Cup - 9/2
    Horse Racing
    Quevega - 5/4

€10 would return €8100 if they all won!! So I welcome any other picks people have or other opinions. I quite fancy Man City and Djokovic anyway, Champs league, WC and H-Cup each have about 4-5 realistic winners.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scobyone

Like the way you're thinking, Johnny. I have found it very difficult to get any consistent success once you go over three selections though.To get that kind of return by betting on singles,it would take about a year and you'd need to stake about two grand a week. That's assuming you had the stomach for the inevitable losing streaks and the ability to rise above the emotion of same. At least, this way, even if you lose, which you probably will,it won't hurt. If I was tackling this, I think I'd make an allowance that all the favourites will not win but maybe two of the above will fall short. Which two is the question !
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Scobyone wrote: »
    Like the way you're thinking, Johnny. I have found it very difficult to get any consistent success once you go over three selections though.To get that kind of return by betting on singles,it would take about a year and you'd need to stake about two grand a week. That's assuming you had the stomach for the inevitable losing streaks and the ability to rise above the emotion of same. At least, this way, even if you lose, which you probably will,it won't hurt. If I was tackling this, I think I'd make an allowance that all the favourites will not win but maybe two of the above will fall short. Which two is the question !
    Good luck

I know well the chances of this coming off is basically what the odds are, 800-1!! But might do a couple of variations to try and keep it going as long as possible..maybe put 5 variations on at 5e each time

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jimmyod19

Best of luck Johnny, im going to have a similar type of bet, in final yr of college and have a lot of work on trying to stay away from backing horses and football. This type of bet should keep me interested and potentially massive return of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭InishGael

Increase chances with likes Heineken Cup and World Cup with bet on where winner from? Rather than Clermont, maybe bet on French Winner. Think I seen 2/1 for it to be an Irish winner. Same as World Cup - Brazil & Argentina favs as its in South America - back South American winner.
    Likely to reduce odds down fairly - but more likely to come in.

InishGael wrote: »
    Increase chances with likes Heineken Cup and World Cup with bet on where winner from? Rather than Clermont, maybe bet on French Winner. Think I seen 2/1 for it to be an Irish winner. Same as World Cup - Brazil & Argentina favs as its in South America - back South American winner.
    Likely to reduce odds down fairly - but more likely to come in.

Good idea, will stick it on before this weekends H Cup anyway...might take out the horse racing as the bet could be scuppered by injury...anyone got a fancy for the 6 nations this year? Leaning towards France although they were so bad last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

I have a similar sort of bet running Johnny , and I have to say I gotten great craic watching the results of different leagues .. It was only a small stake bet but pays about 650/1 for a five timer
    All to win their leagues
    Barcelona @ 8/15
    Benfica @ 2/1
    Chelsea @ 9/2
    Derby @ 9/2
    Orient @ 9/2
    I'd agree in taking out the horse racing , too much can go wrong . I'd also consider doing it with a bookies that give you an option to ' cash out " just incase you get sweaty palms �� ... Good luck with it

I have a similar sort of bet running Johnny , and I have to say I gotten great craic watching the results of different leagues .. It was only a small stake bet but pays about 650/1 for a five timer
    All to win their leagues
    Barcelona @ 8/15
    Benfica @ 2/1
    Chelsea @ 9/2
    Derby @ 9/2
    Orient @ 9/2
    I'd agree in taking out the horse racing , too much can go wrong . I'd also consider doing it with a bookies that give you an option to ' cash out " just incase you get sweaty palms �� ... Good luck with it

It's not looking too bad you're accumulator...Derby a bit behind but certainly the form team in the championship, all the others are right up there or leading.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

Great to see! For the lad who is in his final year, this kind of bet is perfect for you. It'll give you something to be thinking about and following. It serves me very well.

As for finding a bookie that will let you cash out... Don't go for Coral then! I had a decent five figures riding on last years Europa League final and they wouldn't offer me a cashout. Needless to say, I lost to a last minute Ivanovic goal!

Ok I've just put on the bet. Listed below along with who I think are the main dangers

Man City to win the league 1/1 (dangers are Arsenal and Chelsea)
    Spain to win their group in the WC 4/5 (danger is Netherlands)
    Bayern Munich to win the Champs League 5/2 (danger is Real Madrid and Barcelona, possibly Chelsea and Man City)
    Juventus to win Europa League 9/2 (main danger is themselves really as their much better than the others, hopefully they take it seriously)

Clermont to win the Heineken Cup 5/2 (main danger would be getting a home semi-final, luck of the draw, fancy them at home to anyone)
    France to win the 6 nations 11/4 (main danger is Wales, England and Ireland..doubt a grand slam will be had this year)

Djokovic to win the Australian Open 8/11 (main danger is Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka)

Ive placed a 3e 7 fold at 1571-1 and also done a 1e 6-fold combination (i.e 7 bets). Total cost is 10e. Did it with Betfair so cash out is available.

Ones that I wanted to/considered adding were Brazil to win the WC 3-1, Tiger Woods to win Masters 5-1, Norwich to be relegated 11-4, Big Bucks to win World Hurdle 2-1. Couldn't combine Norwich with Man City however and couldn't use cash out with Big Bucks.

Johnny86 wrote: »
    Ok I've just put on the bet. Listed below along with who I think are the main dangers

Man City to win the league 1/1 (dangers are Arsenal and Chelsea)
    Spain to win their group in the WC 4/5 (danger is Netherlands)
    Bayern Munich to win the Champs League 5/2 (danger is Real Madrid and Barcelona, possibly Chelsea and Man City)
    Juventus to win Europa League 9/2 (main danger is themselves really as their much better than the others, hopefully they take it seriously)

Clermont to win the Heineken Cup 5/2 (main danger would be getting a home semi-final, luck of the draw, fancy them at home to anyone)
    France to win the 6 nations 11/4 (main danger is Wales, England and Ireland..doubt a grand slam will be had this year)

Djokovic to win the Australian Open 8/11 (main danger is Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka)

Ive placed a 3e 7 fold at 1571-1 and also done a 1e 6-fold combination (i.e 7 bets). Total cost is 10e. Did it with Betfair so cash out is available.

Ones that I wanted to/considered adding were Brazil to win the WC 3-1, Tiger Woods to win Masters 5-1, Norwich to be relegated 11-4, Big Bucks to win World Hurdle 2-1. Couldn't combine Norwich with Man City however and couldn't use cash out with Big Bucks.

So I've fallen at the first hurdle with Djokovic losing the tennis. I take some solace that I highlighted Wawrinka as the danger. Just the 6 fold left for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭chompdown

That's bad luck. In my experience you are best keeping these to trebles or four-folds, with one big outsider that you think is way overpriced. Bating the bookie with more than 4 or 5 selections is very difficult. Try find one that they've totally misjudged and you're already off to a good start... You might need to look to lesser sports or leagues.

Good luck with any future accumulators!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I was thinking of doing a similar bet last night before I saw this thread. Ronaldo top goalscorer at world cup 12/1 with boylesports ( i think) caught my eye. The portugal team revoloves completely around him, he takes all pens and free kicks, 12/1 looked good value especially with Ghana and Usa in their group i would expect them to qualify.
    I was thinking of McIlroy to win a major in 2014, but the odds I felt were a bit skinny at 5/2.
    I might take a look at Fulham to get relegated, i cant see them scoring enough to stay up and Berbatov looks disinterested in the majority of games.
    I havent finalised a bet yet but I like the look of some of the suggestions on here like city for the premiership although Chelsea are pushing them close at present. Liverpool for top four finish is interesting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Spain to win their world cup group at 4/5 looks tempting Jonny.

chompdown wrote: »
    That's bad luck. In my experience you are best keeping these to trebles or four-folds, with one big outsider that you think is way overpriced. Bating the bookie with more than 4 or 5 selections is very difficult. Try find one that they've totally misjudged and you're already off to a good start... You might need to look to lesser sports or leagues.

Good luck with any future accumulators!

Usually I do much smaller accumulators...typically 4 picks with trebles and a 4 fold. This was a one off thing really just so I could dream about a big win!!

An update on these odds after some recent activity

Man City to win the league 1/1 (dangers are Arsenal and Chelsea) > 13/10
    Spain to win their group in the WC 4/5 (danger is Netherlands) > 4/5
    Bayern Munich to win the Champs League 5/2 (danger is Real Madrid and Barcelona, possibly Chelsea and Man City) > 15/8
    Juventus to win Europa League 9/2 (main danger is themselves really as their much better than the others, hopefully they take it seriously)>11/4

Clermont to win the Heineken Cup 5/2 (main danger would be getting a home semi-final, luck of the draw, fancy them at home to anyone) > 9/4
    France to win the 6 nations 11/4 (main danger is Wales, England and Ireland..doubt a grand slam will be had this year) > 6/1

Djokovic to win the Australian Open 8/11 (main danger is Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka) > Lost, Wawrinka won

The 6 fold is still alive but in truth its difficult to see France winning the 6 nations..i think it would take a draw between wales and england for it to happen. Otherwise it has generally been going ok but I certainly don't think i'll be winning any money

Well the bet has lost but will be interesting to see how I get on with the remaining 4, most prices have gone in. Will prob do another one soon.

Man City to win the league 1/1 (dangers are Arsenal and Chelsea) > 8/11
    Spain to win their group in the WC 4/5 (danger is Netherlands) > 4/5
    Bayern Munich to win the Champs League 5/2 (danger is Real Madrid and Barcelona, possibly Chelsea and Man City) > 9/5
    Juventus to win Europa League 9/2 (main danger is themselves really as their much better than the others, hopefully they take it seriously)>10/11

Clermont to win the Heineken Cup 5/2 (main danger would be getting a home semi-final, luck of the draw, fancy them at home to anyone) > 13/8
    France to win the 6 nations 11/4 (main danger is Wales, England and Ireland..doubt a grand slam will be had this year) > Lost, Ireland won

Djokovic to win the Australian Open 8/11 (main danger is Murray, Nadal and Wawrinka) > Lost, Wawrinka won

Advertisement