Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying an 03 Megane - am I NUTS!

Options
  • 07-01-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

A local mechanic tried to sell me an 03 megane.I was really impressed by how comfortable and solid the car felt, with 125K miles on it. No rattles at all, and very tight.

BUT...

The exterior door handles are sticky - with one not functioning, and the handbrake handle is focked. The model he lent us was misfiring too, but I would say that's because it was lying up for 12 months.

The dude is crazy looking for 2 and a half grand for this one, but should I look elsewhere for a cheaper one, or give them a miss? I am quite taken by how they look and feel :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

The dude is crazy looking for 2 and a half grand for this one
    I wouldn't say no to one but it's been standing 12 months and he is looking for HOW MUCH:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Never driven one but I like the look of them and I had an 04 Clio that was absurdly comfortable for what it was. I'd assume the Megane is even more comfortable.

Never had any issues with my Clio but i'd imagine the Megane is pretty fragile. Tread carefully.

Ludicrous asking price on that one. I'd barely be paying half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

I know - pure, unadulterated bonkers...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JimmyChew

Had a 02 hatch 1.4 sport for a a while noting but problems TBH.

Air bag light kept coming on, Window regulators kept failing in the end the boot lid wouldn't open, After a few lad's looked at and much head scratching it was found to be an electrics issue. Have heard lots of the same from a few people.

Steer clear mate..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

I know - pure, unadulterated bonkers...

If it had been in use everyday and was cheaper, maybe. Most are probly 1.4, I hear the 1.6 gave hassle with variator? Apart from obvious window regs, window switches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

2003 megane sport for sale in cork city from a dealer with tax and test,€1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Meganes are ok if you buy them real cheap,

they also have to have two working key cards, new window regulators, four new coil packs and recently changed handbrake, on electrically operated scenic. If U shaped manual handbrake lever is sticky it needs a new one , can't be fixed. And timing belt and tensioner pulleys done recently.

1250 is the price of the mechanics one , with work done.

Here's one realistically priced low miles, needs work 1200euro asking,2003 hatch5 dr only 40k miles one owner

http://cars.donedeal.ie/damagedcars-for-sale/renault-megan-2003/6199062

25760616.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

JimmyChew wrote: »
    Had a 02 hatch 1.4 sport for a a while noting but problems TBH.

Air bag light kept coming on, Window regulators kept failing in the end the boot lid wouldn't open, After a few lad's looked at and much head scratching it was found to be an electrics issue. Have heard lots of the same from a few people.

Steer clear mate..

It's the newer model the op is looking at which is even worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Had the Old shape Megane (01 Diesel). Yes they are lovely to drive and so comfortable but it was a feckin nightmare in terms of reliability:mad:

Here it goes:

Head gasket, central locking, window regulator, cooling system, and just about everything electrical gave up one after the other.

I had it from 104,000 to 130,000 miles and I can safely say I will never buy a French car again. Many have told me that French cars are ok to 100,000 and then after that, get rid.

Stay away for your own sake;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

€2500 for a car worth maybe a grand if it was NCT'd (which it wouldn't pass with a miss fire, faulty handbrake and sticking door handle) It sounds like a piece of crap and your mechanic sounds like a right chancey bastard asking that price for a defective piece of scrap.

Tell him to give you €100 and you'll take the car away for him. You should be able to get €200 scrap value for it from a breakers so you'll be up €300. Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, sounds like your mechanic is looking for you to put his kids through college by recommending a Megane of that vintage and then trying to get to feed them too at that comical price. You might want to consider a new mechanic too while your at it.

Those Meganes can be a nightmare with electrical problems that could end up breaking your heart and wallet.

Thanks for that, Bigus,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You`ll be sorrrrrrrrry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Will never go near a Megane or any other type of Renault ever again. Steer well clear. They are fine new, but tend to fall apart after a few years. One of this age will break your heart. I had a 10 year old Megane (joke mobile) and it was truly terrible. I got to know the tow truck lads by name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A 03 Megane for 2.5K.... :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

We had a 07 diesel megane 1.5dci and it was one of the most reliable cars we ever had. And I was talking to the guy who we sold it to recently and he was saying he hasn't spent a penny on it and there's 250k km on it.

On the other hand we had a 04 diesel megane 1.5dci as run around 2-3 years ago. And quite frankly it was sh!t. The biggest problem was electrical problems constant light on and off on the dash even though there was nothing wrong. The engine itself wasn't too bad. And it was an estate so very handy. In the cars defence it had 150k miles on it. But it had a full detailed Renault main dealer service history and one owner. So it does prove even if they are minded they can cause trouble. We only kept that car for about 8 months and sold it for a grand profit so wasn't all bad. Although the fact it was a diesel was the real reason we made money on it everyone wanted it.

Going by my experience they are abit hit and miss. I would probably have no problem buying another 07 one or so but it would want to be very cheap. And 2.5k for a 03 petrol is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Crazy money, my wife has one that I will be selling soon and I expect to get 1500 for it.. 03 with 40k less miles.

They are not a bad car and for the age and size have some nice features, look for a Dynamique model as they have a decent trim level.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's the newer model the op is looking at which is even worse :pac:

Yep i had the newer model, think it was a demo. Broke my heart.:(

Looking for a cheap Rover 45 now I'll never learn

Ah here don't do it :) if you want a rover 45 go back a few years and get a civic of the same shape. They are great cars and much better than any 45. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

These Meganes are lovely motors, you get a lot of car for the money, but as said above, check for reliability issues, ie test everything in the car before buying. I have a 07 Monaco model, comes super cheap, lots of kit including leather and parking sensor. But of course my 2 rear windows are dead. I had a 08 Prius before, and the best thing over that Toyota is the comfort, makes you love these potholes.
    The 1.4 is relatively slow but much better than 1.4 Focus/Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

would you not consider a fiat stilo or petrol zsara, if you buy all four thers bound to be one still going next week.

would you not consider a fiat stilo or petrol zsara, if you buy all four thers bound to be one still going next week.

I've done all the reading up on the Rover and there are some horror stories about head gaskets and cooling system problems. But if and its a big if, i can get a nice 1.4 with respectable mileage and FSH it might be a runner. They are going for noting in fairness a 04/05 for 17000/2000 its ticking a lot of boxes.
    TBH i'm a bit of a bangernomics junkie so I'll probably come across something more reliable in a few days'

I've done all the reading up on the Rover and there are some horror stories about head gaskets and cooling system problems. But if and its a big if, i can get a nice 1.4 with respectable mileage and FSH it might be a runner. They are going for noting in fairness a 04/05 for 17000/2000 its ticking a lot of boxes.
    TBH i'm a bit of a bangernomics junkie so I'll probably come across something more reliable in a few days'

Those 45s are sh1te tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphym7 wrote: »
    Will never go near a Megane or any other type of Renault ever again. Steer well clear. They are fine new, but tend to fall apart after a few years. One of this age will break your heart. I had a 10 year old Megane (joke mobile) and it was truly terrible. I got to know the tow truck lads by name.

Very happy with an 05 Laguna here. But I was a bit unsure about going for it - in the end viewing this specific car and how quiet and smooth the engine was, with easy gear changes, was enough combined with price, looks and the general condition of everything else on the car to go for it.

You could pick a supposedly reliable car and be unlucky, getting one of the few dodgy or ill-treated ones.

I'd definitely still be a bit paranoid when buying a Renault, especially having read up online about potential issues - but it does come down to the specific car at the end of the day. That said, this one the OP is looking at doesn't sound a great prospect?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have Renault really improved their reliability since the mid-00s?
    They're now offering an unlimited mileage 5 year warranty afaik. You just don't hear of the issues that seemed to have plagued those era Meganes and Lagunas from the more recent offerings. The 08 Laguna onwards is well regarded from what I've heard as is the latest Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Mech1

IF your planning on doing something really illegal, like murder or rape or something, then buy it.

You will get off almost scott free when in court they learn that you bought a Megane, the mental health act kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

road_high wrote: »
    Have Renault really improved their reliability since the mid-00s?
    They're now offering an unlimited mileage 5 year warranty afaik. You just don't hear of the issues that seemed to have plagued those era Meganes and Lagunas from the more recent offerings. The 08 Laguna onwards is well regarded from what I've heard as is the latest Megane.

They definitely improved, the 2003 Megane the OP was offered is the worst of the worst, with all sort of things that go wrong with them. 2500 euro??? For a car that isn't even working properly (misfiring etc)???
    Look for a new mechanic, for your own sake... No offence, but he is a chancer. And what he offered you is a joke.

wonski wrote: »
    They definitely improved, the 2003 Megane the OP was offered is the worst of the worst, with all sort of things that go wrong with them. 2500 euro??? For a car that isn't even working properly (misfiring etc)???
    Look for a new mechanic, for your own sake... No offence, but he is a chancer. And what he offered you is a joke.

Thanks for all the comments. Don't worry - there's no way we're going to take this megane. And after all that's been said, I don't think we'll be looking ofr any other megane of the same vintage either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement