Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting GP in Ireland

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife has EU health insurance card, can she visit GP in Ireland? We are not Irish citizen, and she just started working last month in Dublin.
    Or are we supposed to pay to GP?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to healthcare through the public system if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay.

Link

Not sure if the EHIC covers you for the reason you've mentioned (I've removed the reason BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's supposed to cover those on temporary visits to Ireland and covers GP's with GMS lists only. If you're here for longer than 3 months then it doesn't cover.
    I think it does cover you for the first 3/12 though but depends on the whether the GP will accept it (they are not legally obliged).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭masterboy123

ok
    I am myself a registered doctor on the General division of the IMC,
    so can I prescribe it too for my wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ok
    I am myself a registered doctor on the General division of the IMC,
    so can I prescribe it too for my wife?

The Medical Council don't like it although I'm under the impression its entirely legal:
    http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Professional-Conduct-Ethics/The-Guide-to-Professional-Conduct-and-Ethics-for-Registered-Medical-Practitioners.pdf

"Except for minor illnesses and emergencies, it is not advisable for
    you to treat members of your own family or issue prescriptions,
    sick certificates or reports for them"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MYOB wrote: »
    The Medical Council don't like it although I'm under the impression its entirely legal:

The cynic in me feels the Medical council simply don't like doctors full stop.....

Advertisement