Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Heating

Options
  • 07-01-2014 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I know this is common out in the country but I've just been to view (a really nice) house in D8 which has it. In the back yard there is what I assume to be a hidden tank. The street it's on is parked solid bothsides although there is reasonable entry to the property I was looking at.

Is this a problem in a built up area. Are there small enough trucks? Is oil much cheaper than electricity. How often does it need refilling (obviously depends on the tank)? When it burns is it like gas, relatively clean, without the need for a chimney etc.

Sorry I'm utterly clueless about this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bit like asking how long a piece of string is.
    Modern boilers are very efficient- if its a few years old, it probably isn't.
    I'd get a heating expert to take a look at it- with a view to removing it and moving over to a modern condenser gas boiler- if gas is in the area- as even getting the tank refilled, will mean traipsing a hose through the house.

Its not a deal breaker- but its not what I'd consider to be satisfactory either.

As for how much it might cost- depends on the boiler, how well insulated the house is, what you consider 'normal' to be etc etc etc Its really hard to even pull something out of thin air for you- there are too many unknowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Bit like asking how long a piece of string is.
    Modern boilers are very efficient- if its a few years old, it probably isn't.
    I'd get a heating expert to take a look at it- with a view to removing it and moving over to a modern condenser gas boiler- if gas is in the area- as even getting the tank refilled, will mean traipsing a hose through the house.

Its not a deal breaker- but its not what I'd consider to be satisfactory either.

As for how much it might cost- depends on the boiler, how well insulated the house is, what you consider 'normal' to be etc etc etc Its really hard to even pull something out of thin air for you- there are too many unknowns.

The house is set up so you can just drag the hose to the tank through the wee yard. Is it fair to say it's not massively uncommon for oil heating even in central Dublin?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Also, how do you get a gas connection if the house doesnt already have one? Is it only available in certain areas? How do you check?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bepolite wrote: »
    Also, how do you get a gas connection if the house doesnt already have one? Is it only available in certain areas? How do you check?

The vast majority of D8 would have gas on the street somewhere. Phone Bord Gáis Networks and ask how much a connection would be.

Check with the vendor and with the local oil companies how much a delivery would be. Knowing tank size would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

If the house is already rigged for oil, then I presume getting tank refills hasn't been a problem for the previous occupants?

• Advertisement
Advertisement