Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents fees for selling house

Options
  • 07-01-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi just wondering what experience people have with estate agents fees for selling a house. I have been told by two local estate agents that their fee is 1.5% of sales price (North Kildare area). Someone mentioned to me they thought this was high?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1% should be attainable. Its not uncommon for effective cartels to form within a town meaning everywhere charges the same.

Take in to account that 95% of people find the house online - there's no need for the agent to be local; contact all the ones in surrounding towns also, and Lucan if along the M4 corridor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lots of estate agents will do it on a flat fee basis- and if you say you're going to go to a competitor- those who don't advertise a flat rate fee- will normally offer to do it on that basis.

Business is slow- no matter how the media spin it- its not in an estate agent's interest to deliberately let business walk out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Lots of estate agents will do it on a flat fee basis- and if you say you're going to go to a competitor- those who don't advertise a flat rate fee- will normally offer to do it on that basis.

Business is slow- no matter how the media spin it- its not in an estate agent's interest to deliberately let business walk out the door.

would you not want a % basis, to get them to maximize the sale price. Cant seen an EA working too hard for a fixed fee. Just try and get the % knoekced down.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

would you not want a % basis, to get them to maximize the sale price. Cant seen an EA working too hard for a fixed fee. Just try and get the % knoekced down.

1% of a small increase in the sale price amounts to very little: An extra 20k yields only 200 euro, so it shouldn't make any practical difference.

An increased percentage, say 10%, above a certain sale price, however, just might offer the right incentives, as long as the kixk-in point is picked carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

When I sold my house last July in Dublin 15 the agent charged 1.1% plus VAT. On top of that I paid the fees for daft/myhome upfront, I can't remember the cost of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I paid 196.10 which was the cost of a daft ad. Sold house myself and saved approx 3000. Maybe worth a try?

Advertisement