Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC/BDO - Treble size discrepency.

Options
  • 07-01-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭

It's an argument that you see bandied about but not mentioned much here. The apparent reason for the higher averages of the PDC is their bumper sized trebles. However, I see no appreciable difference on TV. The BDO trebles look every bit as big to me and the wire looks as clean and thin too. Is it just a case of sour grapes from staunch supporters of the BDO or is there really something in it? Has a definitive and unbiased comparison ever been carried out?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 DerpKehoe

Everything is the same size. The players are not on the same level. It really is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

The BDO resembles the senior tour in golf..old dogs trying to play a decent standard. Everything about it suggests the organisation is catering for amateur darts players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I would assume Winmau and Unicorn both make a board with regulation size segments - the regulation height for double and trebles is 8.0mm plus or minus 0.2mm.

I would imagine most pros use practice boards with smaller doubles and trebles anyway, so not sure that potential 0.2mm difference would really change anything.

I certainly don't think the lower scores are due to this anyway, in general there just seems to be a lot more stray darts into 1s and 5s and that would affect the averages a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

briany wrote: »
    It's an argument that you see bandied about but not mentioned much here. The apparent reason for the higher averages of the PDC is their bumper sized trebles. However, I see no appreciable difference on TV. The BDO trebles look every bit as big to me and the wire looks as clean and thin too. Is it just a case of sour grapes from staunch supporters of the BDO or is there really something in it? Has a definitive and unbiased comparison ever been carried out?

Absolute rubbish. This may have been an argument a few years back when the Eclipse boards had really thin wires making bounce outs very rare, while Winmau still had the thicker wires. It didn't hold much water back then, but even less now. The reason the standard is lower is because all the good players have either switched over or started out in the PDC. And the reason for that is the incompetence of the BDO hierarchy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is an old argument that came up a good few years ago when the Eclipse Pro first came out and the BDO were still using Winmau boards that had thicker wires. Back then it was correct that the PDC boards did have slightly bigger trebles and doubles but it's not the case now and hasn't been for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Was the bullseye a lot bigger on the new board used in the BDO last week?
    Seemed so to me and plenty others

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tarzann wrote: »
    Was the bullseye a lot bigger on the new board used in the BDO last week?
    Seemed so to me and plenty others

Yeah it's definitely slightly bigger.

Advertisement