Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHEL repos? Trying to get ntp installed

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I'm more familiar with debian distros so bear with me.

I'm trying to setup ntp on a RHEL 4.1.2 server following this page: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-ntp-to-synchronize-server-clock/

When I run:
    yum install ntp ntpdate ntp-doc

I get:
    Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
    This system is not registered with RHN.
    RHN support will be disabled.
    Setting up Install Process
    No package ntp available.
    Nothing to do

When I run:
    yum search ntp

I get:
    Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
    This system is not registered with RHN.
    RHN support will be disabled.
    ================================= Matched: ntp =================================
    chkfontpath.i386 : Simple interface for editing the font path for the X font
                     : server.

I guess I'm missing some repos (one of the things I'm not familiar with) because the server is not registered with RHN?
    Is there an easy way to add a .repo file if that's what's needed? (in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ?)
    Cheers in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why dont you want to register the system on RHN? Just curious.

You can add CentOS repositories and install from them. Let me look for a walkthrough...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

RHEL 4 is end of life at this stage.

Try this and see if it installs ok:

rpm - i http://vault.centos.org/4.9/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/ntp-4.2.0.a.20040617-8.el4_7.1.i386.rpm - - nogpgcheck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

syklops wrote: »
    Why dont you want to register the system on RHN? Just curious.

You can add CentOS repositories and install from them. Let me look for a walkthrough...
    Oh I would but it's for a client who supposedly controls they're own (virtual) servers, but their server guy seems like he doesn't want to take responsibility... its a bit messy, so I might give it a shot if I have to and cut through the beurocratic manure! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

BopNiblets wrote: »

I guess I'm missing some repos (one of the things I'm not familiar with) because the server is not registered with RHN?
    Is there an easy way to add a .repo file if that's what's needed? (in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ?)
    Cheers in advance for any help!

AFAIK you need to pay for a license to get a server registered & get access to their repos. I work in a college so needless to say we tend to use Centos to avoid that but the other way is get the RPM you're looking for is from an ISO of the relevant release.

Might be tricky tracking down an ISO for RHEL 4 but I'm sure it's out there somewhere :)

Advertisement