Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest Ironman 70.3

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, just throwing up a thread to see if there are any other Irish triathletes out there making the journey towards Budapest this August for the Ironman 70.3 Budapest?!?! I'm heading over and be great to know if there are a few other Irish lining up beside me on the day! Taking on my first 70.3 and trying to figure out the best way to shape the season around it. 8 months and counting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Is this the first year for this race? I love Budapest, been there twice and love the place! The course sounds ideal for me (perhaps non wetsuit swim though...wouldn't put me off). The time of year is also ideal for me!! I have been searching for such a course at that time of year...so...2015 provided there is a good report from people like yourself Ray. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 raylonergan

Yeah, first year it's on alright, really caught my eye. Looks like a very nice course, flat as a pancake bike and run and a lovely protected swim course. Couldn't ask for a more scenic major city to have one either, never been on holidays but always wanted to visit so killing two birds with the one half ironman stone! Yeah perfect time of the year too, just towards the end of racing season here so perfect time to be peaking. what makes you think it could be a non-wetsuit swim? I think it's around 25 degress C end of August. Not too sure if could be far too warm for myself now!!!

Well, as per IM regulations...

"3. It is permitted to swim a wetsuit up to a water temperature of 24,5°C. At water temperatures below 16°Celsius wearing a wetsuit is compulsory."

So this would mean that wetsuits are not permitted at temple tires above 24.5.
    All you have to do is put in the work in the pool at least 3 times a week and add an OW session during the summer! No problem to ya!

Didn't even enter my head it could be an issue! :O If the air temperature was 25-30 degress any idea if the water temp be similar or would there be a bit of a gap between them?

Didn't even enter my head it could be an issue! :O If the air temperature was 25-30 degress any idea if the water temp be similar or would there be a bit of a gap between them?

In 2010 I actually swam there as part of the World AG Champs and it is like a pool so I'd suspect it will heat up very easily if the air temp was in the high 20's low 30's.

• Advertisement

oh right, in the little bay type thing? was the rest of the course the same? any tips?!

Was it non-wetsuit when you raced there?

oh right, in the little bay type thing? was the rest of the course the same? any tips?!

Was it non-wetsuit when you raced there?

It was an Olympic distance so only 1,500m and I think the water temp meant you had a choice i.e. water temp between 16 and 24.5. It was in September also so it wasn't very very hot! Indeed it was p1ssing rain for almost the whole weekend! The Turkish baths though defo made up for that!

The course was very different actually, the swim would be the same but bike and run different. One of my greatest highlights in triathlon thus far (started in 2009) was running over the Chain Bridge (over 200 years old) a few times on the run. Such an amazing feeling and there are 1 or 2 others on here that felt the same buzz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Resurrecting thread as considering this for 2015. Experiences?

RJM85 wrote: »

Yip. Defo on my radar. Expensive though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Yip. Defo on my radar. Expensive though, no?

Is there a cheap one?

• Advertisement

Is there a cheap one?

I might be out of touch but yeah....I was taken back when I saw the price of a HIM in Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I didn't do it but know 2 people that did and they both spoke very highly of the event. One is going back too.

Advertisement