Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digs volouteering

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

hi i have always have had an avid interest in archeology and have been looking into volountering on a dig in Spain ....the cost is around 1800 for 2 weeks including accommodation and food...........does this seem right ? i am looking for as much advise as possible before i book and would like to be involved as much as possible in whichever dig i go on...so i guess im looking for an educational working holiday preferably with sun...........much appreciated for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SEVERA

Jesus lads take it easy, don't fall over each other there with the answers, .........oh sorry must have been the wind i heard again ............tumbleweeds......anyway paint is well dry now.......kettles burnt out though .......are ye all in some kind of a cult......121 views no answers what a fantastic question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 An Fhuiseog

SEVERA wrote: »
    Jesus lads take it easy, don't fall over each other there with the answers, .........oh sorry must have been the wind i heard again ............tumbleweeds......anyway paint is well dry now.......kettles burnt out though .......are ye all in some kind of a cult......121 views no answers what a fantastic question

Hi Severa,
    I did see this post several weeks ago and am surprised it hasn't been replied to.I'm not an archaeologist and many here aren't either,so most may not have had the experience of such a dig to be honest.It sounds like a very interesting way to spend two weeks in the sun though - Why not?I'd give it a go!The price of 1800 Euros for 2 weeks with food and board,doesn't sound too unreasonable either.Who knows -you might even meet the future love of your life over there too(if you haven't done so already that is!).:) Hopefully my reply can get the ball rolling here and get you the answers you need.
    All the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I am not sure what is the going rate for fieldschools but I guess compare it to the Irish ones and other European examples too. I don't do much fieldwork but I have done some volunteer fieldwork in Ireland and Canada. I think if you are considering it in Ireland it may be possible without paying a fieldschool but it can be difficult to get a place. Some Irish universities run summer excavations. yet often even students in the same department cannot get places but it is worth a try. The finds in Irish digs are probably not as exciting as Spain but I enjoyed it nevertheless as I like Irish archaeology. Please PM me if you would like more specific details of who to ask! Its a very fun and rewarding experience, especially if you have a good crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Which fieldschool is it? I have some experience of this one: http://www.ecomuseodecavalleria.com/the-sanisera-field-school-courses-archaeology-category.asp

But the one you mentioned seems to be more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SEVERA

Which fieldschool is it? I have some experience of this one: http://www.ecomuseodecavalleria.com/the-sanisera-field-school-courses-archaeology-category.asp

But the one you mentioned seems to be more expensive?
    yes it was the sanisera one that I was thinking about.how was it did you enjoy it ? I've since decided to go with the Balkan heritage fieldschool in Bulgaria €1200 for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A word of caution.
    Just be certain of precisely what expenses are and are not included.
    There are some stories out there of diggers being landed with astronomical bills for costs they believed were included in the overall fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

yes it was the sanisera one that I was thinking about.how was it did you enjoy it ? I've since decided to go with the Balkan heritage fieldschool in Bulgaria €1200 for 2 weeks.

Yep, it was a good experience. Menorca is beautiful, as is the location of the site.

Advertisement