Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penicillin allergy, doc prescribed amoxycillin !!

Options
  • 07-01-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice but just wondering what to do, if anything, about a GP who has just prescribed amoxycillin to a person who is allergic to penicillin. (it's on his medical records, obviously)

Luckily before he picked it up in the pharmacy he spotted that amoxycillin sounds like penicillin, googled it and got back on to the surgery to ask for an alternative. But I'm a bit shocked that a GP could be so careless. I think I am always asked by a doc or dentist if I am allergic to penicillin before they write a prescription.

What do ye think?!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sounds a bit lax from the GP, if indeed they should have known, and could be open to a medical negligence case if this person had a severe reaction to the antibiotics. About 10% of people are allergic to penicillin so it's not like it's a rare case. What did they say when he went back to them?

Edit: However most reactions are mild and not in any way life threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the quick reply.

He rang the surgery straight away and spoke to the receptionist, said he needed a different prescription because he is allergic.... she seemed to be looking up his records and he says he heard definite concerned surprise as she obviously saw penicillin allergy on his records. She said she'd get the GP to phone him later on.

As a child he had a severe reaction. His mother had him drilled with "don't speak to strangers and don't take penicillin"!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd wait to see what the GP says. Honest mistakes do happen, no harm no foul. I'd only look to take it further if the GP isn't concerned, as it might happen again to someone else less fortunate to spot an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yes, was thinking the same myself. However he's my GP too and when I went to him for travel vaccinations he neglected to give me the meningococcus one Again, thanks to google (!) I was able to go back to ask for it. Will see what he says anyway. And we're considering changing GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I would change GP and report him to the medical board, he could really hurt someone with his carelessness!

• Advertisement

sudzs wrote: »
    Yes, was thinking the same myself. However he's my GP too and when I went to him for travel vaccinations he neglected to give me the meningococcus one Again, thanks to google (!) I was able to go back to ask for it. Will see what he says anyway. And we're considering changing GP!

Ah okay, history of mistakes means something's not right and you should take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

There's not much else to add.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement