Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what age did you realise you had a problem with drink?

Options
  • 07-01-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

As the title suggests..

After me ma cut me off the tit and put me on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Only Irish boozers have "a problem with the drink" Residents of all other countries call it alcoholism

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Just in the last year. Wish someone had told me when i was younger that its a mugs game, wouldnt have wasted so many years.

fitting in, 'relax and enjoy yourself', and the irish drinking culture are so overrated.

Once i believed it was wrong i never had trouble giving it up. There was no question that even the one beer was wrong. I thought Des Bishop's Under the Influence was brilliant.

Once i thought drinking was rebellious. Now with all the marketing and the pied piper culture, my rebeliious spirit is a finger to the establishment, no i wont booze.

Speaking to my muslim friend, he said that hte religion bans alcohol cause it makes you lose control. Of course if the Muslim world thought that they could permit one or two drinks then it would be okay. But people rarely stop at one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Just in the last year. Wish someone had told me when i was younger that its a mugs game, wouldnt have wasted so many years.

fitting in, 'relax and enjoy yourself', and the irish drinking culture are so overrated.

Once i believed it was wrong i never had trouble giving it up. There was no question that even the one beer was wrong. I thought Des Bishop's Under the Influence was brilliant.

Once i thought drinking was rebellious. Now with all the marketing and the pied piper culture, my rebeliious spirit is a finger to the establishment, no i wont booze.

Speaking to my muslim friend, he said that hte religion bans alcohol cause it makes you lose control. Of course if the Muslim world thought that they could permit one or two drinks then it would be okay. But people rarely stop at one or two.

Maybe if the had a few beers, they may not be inclined to chop peoples heads off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Early thirties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I was 26. Spain had cheap and good beer. I got to the point where I would go for a beer at lunch, then one after work, then out with friends.

One summer, I was at street festival, blacked out and walked home without my gf. Fortunately, she was with other friends, but we nearly broke up over it. I was forgiven, but vowed never to touch the stuff again. I didn't. I realized pretty quickly what could happen if I continued down that path.
    My group of friends were understanding and saw I wasn't just being a jerk, but was in problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Busted Flat banned for being a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For me It took a long time to realise that my drinking was the problem and not everyone and everything else,I only realised that when i stoped drinking....So that would be when i was 46 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

A friend once said to me when I told him that I was taking a break from the juice, "that the happiest and most enjoyable moments of my life had come from alcohol."

I thought he was wrong, but that if he was right then I must have lived a very sad life.

Can honestly now say that some of the happiest and most enjoyable moments of my life have come since I've been sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

A friend once said to me when I told him that I was taking a break from the juice, "that the happiest and most enjoyable moments of my life had come from alcohol."

I thought he was wrong, but that if he was right then I must have lived a very sad life.

Can honestly now say that some of the happiest and most enjoyable moments of my life have come since I've been sober.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Friends noticed I was drinking too heavily in my late teens. It dawned on me that I had a problem a few years later when I was in college. I had to sign something in a bank but my hands were shaking so badly I needed a drink to get rid of the jitters.
    Did nothing about it for another decade. Still slipping on and off the wagon. Mainly on it these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

21 - It was starting to affect my relationships - though it was another decade before i did anything about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I was 35 when I quit but I knew that there was something wrong well before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

27, when I realised I was pregnant! I could go months without a drink but once I started I wouldnt stop til I was paralytic. My kids didnt deserve a mum like that, havent drank since :-D

18, I tried to give up then because I knew what it was doing to me. Ended up failing and going on for another 7 years. The last two being literal hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

23- long time ago now. How time flies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I was around 30 when I felt I had no control, but what is a problem with drink exactly though. Is it where you drink daily? or perhaps to do with binge drinking?

Personally, I like a drink to unwind, to forget something, self medication so to speak, dutch courage etc. The thing is I forget to stop until I'm very drunk.

This forum has been fantastic help for me, I've not yet quit the booze fully but I've certainly copped on and hope soon to beat it for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

29 now.

I've been working in bars since I was 14 so always had money when going to school, some days I'd be turning up at 15 with 300 quid in my pocket.

Also hung out with a much older crowd - while I should have been over in my 15 year old mates houses playing Playstation, I was going to gigs 3 or 4 nights a week with 21/22 year olds.

Guess that's where it all started

Advertisement