Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord will not be renewing my lease after 4 years. He is selling the house. HELP

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi im so stressed out my landlord is not renewing my lease after 4 years ,I never once was late with a payment i treated the house with the upmost respect i had a lot of work done in the house with landlords permisssion as when i moved in it was very old .I have four children which all are in school in the area .I can not find any where around the area what i can afford i called an organisation to day and i was told if i was a bad tenent they would be able to do something for me or give me more advice but the fact i am a good tenent and i am working part time and due to get my deposit back there are alot worse off people than me .so to me that means if you do things right and scrap by only bearly paying all bills I get no help .I have no were else to turn if any one has any suggestion that might help and my family wont become homeless please let me no ? Thank You .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If the landlord intends to sell there's nothing you can do unfortunately. It is still his property and he is entitled to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Won't the new owners have to buy the house and keep the tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

While your situation isn't great, the landlord doesnt even have to tell a tenant they are selling the house, they would not have to renew after 4 years entitlement to rent by tenant has been met by landlord, sounds harsh but,
    even if they weren't selling the house and just decided not to re-let to you they wouldn't have to, they could say, not renewing lease, 4 year limit expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

scudzilla wrote: »
    Won't the new owners have to buy the house and keep the tenants?

No, certainly no obligation there.
    Besides, what if the new owner intends to live there, even if they wanted to rent it, they wouldn't be obligated to keep the tenant.
    They have no agreement with tenants and the Op has said they have had 4 years, thats all a landlord is obligated to ensure a tenant can let a property for if the tenant wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

xyankeex wrote: »
    Hi im so stressed out my landlord is not renewing my lease after 4 years ,I never once was late with a payment i treated the house with the upmost respect i had a lot of work done in the house with landlords permisssion as when i moved in it was very old .I have four children which all are in school in the area .I can not find any where around the area what i can afford i called an organisation to day and i was told if i was a bad tenent they would be able to do something for me or give me more advice but the fact i am a good tenent and i am working part time and due to get my deposit back there are alot worse off people than me .so to me that means if you do things right and scrap by only bearly paying all bills I get no help .I have no were else to turn if any one has any suggestion that might help and my family wont become homeless please let me no ? Thank You .

Hi,

First of all, you do have options.
    Do not stress. Focus on dealing with the problem and looking after your children.

It is important to bear in mind that even if you are the perfect tenant, a landlord has the right to not renew once they abide by the law.
    I know you have been there four years but as a tenant you always knew one day would come when the tenancy would end.

You will be entitled to appropriate notice period depending on what type of lease you hold.
    More details are here on Thresholds website
    http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/termination-of-a-tenancy-by-a-landlord/

Next explore other rental options based in your area.
    You mention you have already had a look. If no joy, go wider.
    I appreciate you children may be in a local school, but if the market rate for rents has gone up since you moved in, you may simply no longer be able to afford to live in that area.

Speak to your local Community Welfare Officer (CWO) in relation to your potential eligibility for financial assistance from the state towards your rent.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/community_welfare_officers.html

Your worst case scenario here is having to move and the stress that it can bring - but a different house and schools is far better than homelessness.

As a last resort here is a list of Focus Ireland contacts who help people avoid homelessness.
    http://www.focusireland.ie/our-services/services-in-your-local-area/guide-to-our-services

Don't worry - keep a calm head - contact the organisations for help - look after your family.
    Best of luck.

PS: Some posters here could end up having a weeks debate over how many days notice you are due - don't get caught up in it. Your focus should be to acquire new accommodation as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Zamboni wrote: »
    PS: Some posters here could end up having a weeks debate over how many days notice you are due - don't get caught up in it. Your focus should be to acquire new accommodation as quickly as possible.

No debate needed; 4+ years means 112 days notice due ;)

Sorry to hear of your situation OP but unfortunately tenancies are only secure for 4 years in Ireland, after which time the landlord can terminate for any reason in the next 6 months with 112 days notice.

Do you have a current signed lease, or has it expired at the end of the 4th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xyankeex wrote: »
    .I have four children which all are in school in the area ... .I have no were else to turn if any one has any suggestion that might help and my family wont become homeless please let me no ? Thank You .

There are perfectly good schools in neighbourhoods all over Ireland. Kids move schools all the time with no ill-effects, yours can too.

Are you on the council housing list? If not, then why not? (I'm assuming that if you only work part time you are badly-off enough to qualify.) If so, call them just to double check if they have any idea how soon you might be allocated a house, and also check that on your application you said that you would be interesteed in voluntary housing. After that, call any housing organsiations (eg Respond, Clúid, etc) in the areas you want (ie which are feasible for your job), and see if they have anything going. (Sometimes they may have a difficult to fill property which for some reason the council have not suggested enough people for. The council do still have to support your nomnation for it, but sometiems right-place/right-time can kick in.)

Advertisement