Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go the mature route, or Leaving Cert points route, or both???

Options
  • 06-01-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm getting together my CAO application for various Dublin multimedia/music type courses and I'm wondering how best to apply.

I got 435 in my Leaving in 2002 and the courses I'm aiming for range from 425 to around 300 points.

I made some calls a while back and I was advised by one institution to apply both with my LC points and also as a mature applicant. But then another advised me to apply solely with my leaving cert grades.

I'm confused about the process a HEI uses to decide your suitability if you apply on both mature grounds and on the strength of your Leaving Cert...

Which method would give me the best chance because if you select mature grounds on the CAO application you will be considered on mature grounds for all your course choices.

Any advice or solid information would be much appreciated!:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Hi there.

I'm getting together my CAO application for various Dublin multimedia/music type courses and I'm wondering how best to apply.

I got 435 in my Leaving in 2002 and the courses I'm aiming for range from 425 to around 300 points.

I made some calls a while back and I was advised by one institution to apply both with my LC points and also as a mature applicant. But then another advised me to apply solely with my leaving cert grades.

I'm confused about the process a HEI uses to decide your suitability if you apply on both mature grounds and on the strength of your Leaving Cert...

Which method would give me the best chance because if you select mature grounds on the CAO application you will be considered on mature grounds for all your course choices.

Any advice or solid information would be much appreciated!:)

If you put your LC only down, you will be allocated the highest place for which you are eligible based only on your LC results.

If you also tick the mature students box and apply that you. You will be allocated places based on your LC results, and you will also be considered as a mature student and your application will be viewed that way. Therefore you are increasing your chances of being offered a spot.

I know of someone who was not offered a mature spot (interviews etc.), but got in with LC results.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

You were totally correct. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement