Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim a mile challenge

Options
  • 06-01-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there anyone doing this. In my teenage years, I was a handy enough swimmer but then went to college and fitness went off the radar. I find gyms boring so decided to use this as a way to re-gain my fitness.
    went for a swim this evening. was wrecked after 10 lengths. getting burn in my legs anyone have any tips to build up strength in arms and legs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

I'm thinking of doing this...

Have relatively decent fitness, done two sprint triathlons last year, v strong on bike, I'm using the turbo trainer already for this year and running and playing football, with gym 2-3 times per week

Problem is, I'm an awful swimmer and it wrecked my 2 races last year so this could be what i need

Does anybody know, if you register for the €20, do you also have to pay into the swimming pool of your choice (mine is NAQ), as i already have access to my local pool through my gym membership

It says the coaching 2-3 weeks per week is free , but is access to the NAQ?

Thanks,
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I'm thinking of doing this...

Have relatively decent fitness, done two sprint triathlons last year, v strong on bike, I'm using the turbo trainer already for this year and running and playing football, with gym 2-3 times per week

Problem is, I'm an awful swimmer and it wrecked my 2 races last year so this could be what i need

Does anybody know, if you register for the €20, do you also have to pay into the swimming pool of your choice (mine is NAQ), as i already have access to my local pool through my gym membership

It says the coaching 2-3 weeks per week is free , but is access to the NAQ?

Thanks,
    Tom

Have signed up to this too. As far as I can tell the Coaching is free but you will still have to pay the entry fee into the pool if you don't have access through membership. There might be some sort of discount done by each of the venues though.

Used to swim a lot in my school days too but dropped off completely in college and working years. Did one of those refresher courses there last year in the KingFisher in NUIG and found after 3 or 4 sessions I was learning it all back again. Getting your breathing right proved to be the game changer for me.

Started the 12 month training programme there last week. There are 3 sessions a week so I will be going to my local gym on my own for the majority of theses and might go to 1 coaching session a week too when they start up at the venue. Must say it is tough going as my fitness has dropped off a lot in the past year or two but once you have your technique/breathing right it should become easier.

One thing I noticed after my sessions so far is I became really dehydrated, so make sure drink plenty of water before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Have signed up to this too. As far as I can tell the Coaching is free but you will still have to pay the entry fee into the pool if you don't have access through membership. There might be some sort of discount done by each of the venues though.

Used to swim a lot in my school days too but dropped off completely in college and working years. Did one of those refresher courses there last year in the KingFisher in NUIG and found after 3 or 4 sessions I was learning it all back again. Getting your breathing right proved to be the game changer for me.

Started the 12 month training programme there last week. There are 3 sessions a week so I will be going to my local gym on my own for the majority of theses and might go to 1 coaching session a week too when they start up at the venue. Must say it is tough going as my fitness has dropped off a lot in the past year or two but once you have your technique/breathing right it should become easier.

One thing I noticed after my sessions so far is I became really dehydrated, so make sure drink plenty of water before and after.

only managed 15 lengths this evening but did a bit of leg work by the side of the pool. defo drink plenty of water I noticed the dehydration big time this evening when I went straight from work

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

I signed up to do this to participate alongside a family member.

The main reasons she said she registered are

. You don't have to do the whole thing front crawl
    . You can take as long as you want
    . You can take rests

I don't know about the coaching (they haven't made the details available) but they have provided an 8 week training plan.

Also you will notice your capacity and fitness building quickly if you do 2/3 sessions a week.

I was taken aback though by the number of Dennis O'Brien organizations involved in this though. Perhaps we will get to see Enda Kenny's hair piece hovering up lane 3 in the NAC?

currently im finding breaststroke easier than the front crawl. will try to build it up more front crawl. increase fitness and strength will help this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

I hope to do this as we'll even thought I never really did lap swimming properly. Went back in the pool about weeks ago and at the moment can manage about 600m in about 40m. Not sure if I'll be able for a mile at the end of March but she how I get on. Finding front crawl hard. Starting some swimming lessons tomorrow evening so hopefully they will help!

suds1984 wrote: »
    I hope to do this as we'll even thought I never really did lap swimming properly. Went back in the pool about weeks ago and at the moment can manage about 600m in about 40m. Not sure if I'll be able for a mile at the end of March but she how I get on. Finding front crawl hard. Starting some swimming lessons tomorrow evening so hopefully they will help!

I just saw on the facebook page there is training organised for cork on the 13th at 7.15 if you check the website. I must register hopefully I could make it

Yes need to book myself in for that. Think I need all the help if I'm going to swim a full mile!

suds1984 wrote: »
    Yes need to book myself in for that. Think I need all the help if I'm going to swim a full mile!

me too 14 lengths this evening and the training plan said 20 :(

I only did 12 today :( My head wasn't in it tonight so probably should have given it a skip. Did manage 24 lengths the other day, just really slow and really bad technique!

• Advertisement

I think 24 will be an achievement for me at the rate im going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I've signed up for this - my problem is that I've never learned the front crawl!

The online instructions for what to do in a training session are good, but I can't laminate EVERY page!

I'm a bit terrified that even if I do manage to get my speed and endurance up, training in a 25m pool will not prepare me for a 50m pool.

Anyone got a link to the Facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

me too 14 lengths this evening and the training plan said 20 :(

Haven't looked at the training plan but signed up for this last night, wondering if I might have left it too late. When you say 14, does that mean 14 continuous?

I started back swimming before Christmas after being reasonably proficient as a child but having barely swam in 15 years. Have worked up to 800m recently but that is 10 blocks of 4 lengths continuous with 30 second gaps between the blocks, I am a long way away from 14 continuous lengths at present :(

Also have been wondering recently is it "cheating" to take a breath at the end of your length, I guess I am only fooling myself as there won't be that luxury in a 50m pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

radharc wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the training plan but signed up for this last night, wondering if I might have left it too late. When you say 14, does that mean 14 continuous?

I started back swimming before Christmas after being reasonably proficient as a child but having barely swam in 15 years. Have worked up to 800m recently but that is 10 blocks of 4 lengths continuous with 30 second gaps between the blocks, I am a long way away from 14 continuous lengths at present :(

Also have been wondering recently is it "cheating" to take a breath at the end of your length, I guess I am only fooling myself as there won't be that luxury in a 50m pool?

Had a look at the last week of training and at the end you will be doing 2x800m stints(About 32 lengths in a 25m), with a rest in between. I have done the first week and the most you have to do in one stint is 4 lengths(again the 25m). I'll admit I was knackered after the first session and was a bit apprehensive of being able to do the full mile but feel a lot better about it after the 3rd session. Improving breathing and technique is the key imo as the less you thrash about and more streamlined you become, the easier it gets.

I suppose if you tried to not stand up after a length in a 25m and just try and turn as quickly as possible it will lessen the "Cheating" effect of the 25m lengths.

getting there building up strength with it. managed 28 lengths in about 35 mins this evening. really pushed myself Monday had some serious burn after it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Signed up for this the other day to try encourage myself back to pool.
    I used to swim on a semi regular basis although I would have never considered myself a good swimmer think the most I ever swam in one go was 1000m.
    First session back there this morning and I did 400m total, I was swimming a bit before christmas so hopefully be up to 800 next week total and then start to try extend that.
    The online training does look good although the format of it isn't great for printing out, I might try condense it a bit.
    Only thing I'm worried about is you had to pick what time you think you'll do it in when registering, I've no idea what time I will be, hopefully can change that closer to the event when I have a better idea from training.

Best of luck to everyone anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

What kind of times are to be expected? I'm currently doing the following in a 25 m pool:

1 x 20
    2 x 10
    4 x 6
    4 x 4

... totalling 80 = ~ 2km

I'm doing this in around 45 mins including 30s to 1min rest between each block.

Can I expect to bring my time down? My initial time was 35 mins for 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

best of luck to all attempting the challenge, just a bit of advice, concentrate on your technique rather than trying to power your way through it. I got 1 to 1 coaching last year and it transformed my swimming. The way the coach explained it was that , unlike running or cycling, where mile after mile on the road will increase your performance, in swimming, the smoother you are going with correct technique, the faster you'll swim. He broke down my stroke right down to the basic parts and we slowly built up to swimming lengths. he said that if i start to get tired, my form would start to fail, and as such, i'd only be reinforcing bad technique by plowing on doing lap after lap.

In short, emphasize quality over quantity.

Check out Terry Laughlins Book, Total immersion swimming, and he has some great videos on youtube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

In week 9 of the 12 week plan - decided to push things today and see where I am in the greater scheme of things and made the mile in under 45mins - delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What are the dates for the challenge? Im thinking of doing the Galway swim as it'll be grand part of a training session..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

Lost Sheep, Is the bay swim you are thinking of if so have you applied for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maryfrancis

Can't wait for the swim. Have worked really hard. From not able to do 2lenghts in a row to doing the mile in under 40 mins I think is great. Will miss the training now that it's over. Not sure how I will keep the interest and motivatation going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Fair play. Goodluck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Not sure how I will keep the interest and motivatation going.

Get that thought out of your head, of course you can keep going. See if there any groups who meet up in your local pool. Keep it up for the fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Delighted aswell, couldn't do a length of my local 20m pool in October and up to 52 lengths without a break now. Still confident I can do the mile without a break next Friday but the 50m length will be totally new, going to head up on Monday to test myself.

Advertisement