Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Trout Fishery

Options
  • 06-01-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Since The all the Rivers are All flooded i Want to go for Some Rainbow Trout Fishing (I'd like To keep one Trout)Anyone know A good place? Im in galway ill go anywhere Within Reason

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Hi,

Since The all the Rivers are All flooded i Want to go for Some Rainbow Trout Fishing (I'd like To keep one Trout)Anyone know A good place? Im in galway ill go anywhere Within Reason

Thanks

theres a decent rainbow fisherie in mallow, been there before but i cant seem to remember the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Ballyhas Lakes? I've Been there Its nice Fishery Anything else

Ballyhas Lakes? I've Been there Its nice Fishery Anything else

yep thats the one, theres one near mungret in limerick also. Plus there is barfinnihy lake near kenmare but i dont think its open yet. Im not a big rainbow fan so i dont do a whole pile of it but its handy when the brownies are not in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

just back from ballyhass after swearing never to go back , quality of the fish is poor only had one above 1lb (3lb) the rest were all out of condition and full of eggs and like a lice of some sort they would destroy ya when landing them

also its boring fishing this time of year as you need to be down deep so need to count to 25 at least after casting with a fast sink line and twitch it on the bottom

im going to adaire springs once weather picks up , i seen reports of loads of big fish being caught to 10lb + and is always getting good reports ballyhass seemed like it wasnt even stocked recently

i swore id never go back again :D

popsy09 wrote: »
    just back from ballyhass after swearing never to go back , quality of the fish is poor only had one above 1lb (3lb) the rest were all out of condition and full of eggs and like a lice of some sort they would destroy ya when landing them

also its boring fishing this time of year as you need to be down deep so need to count to 25 at least after casting with a fast sink line and twitch it on the bottom

im going to adaire springs once weather picks up , i seen reports of loads of big fish being caught to 10lb + and is always getting good reports ballyhass seemed like it wasnt even stocked recently

i swore id never go back again :D

Thats very sad to hear, i was ther a few months ago and had a 3 , two 4's and a 5 pounder........ How many fish had you in total??

I might head down this week because i would love to know what kind of lice is on them.

Did u express your unhappiness to the manager???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

The man who was with me is big into fly fishing he was talking to Tom the manager he is in same club on the black water , sure what can he say really he said it's full of fish

It's probably the time of year but I don't think I ever enjoyed a days fishing below there and won't be rushing back

popsy09 wrote: »
    The man who was with me is big into fly fishing he was talking to Tom the manager he is in same club on the black water , sure what can he say really he said it's full of fish

It's probably the time of year but I don't think I ever enjoyed a days fishing below there and won't be rushing back

Yes trout are naturally out of this season this time of the year......its a pity because it has good potential... The same happened to glasha lake in athea a number of years ago.

Anyone know somewhere else? Near Dublin or Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Try Courtlough trout fishery, Balbriggan Co. Dublin. They dont have a website yet so have a look at www.facebook.com/courtlough.troutfishery

I was at a fly fishing competition there on the 29th December and there were 114 fish landed for about 20 anglers (all returned) so at least you know there are plenty of fish there. They are all triploids, so no eggs or out of condition fish. The biggest on the day was about 7 pounds.

Its a new fishery, instructor/manager is very helpful, especially with beginners, I think it might be open 7 days too.
    Its a good spot, well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Try Courtlough trout fishery, Balbriggan Co. Dublin. They dont have a website yet so have a look at www.facebook.com/courtlough.troutfishery

I was at a fly fishing competition there on the 29th December and there were 114 fish landed for about 20 anglers (all returned) so at least you know there are plenty of fish there. They are all triploids, so no eggs or out of condition fish. The biggest on the day was about 7 pounds.

Its a new fishery, instructor/manager is very helpful, especially with beginners, I think it might be open 7 days too.
    Its a good spot, well worth a look.

There is a site... http://www.courtlough.ie/trout-fishing/

I was there in October last - was ok, above average as these places go.
    Plenty of fish caught and the place was mostly clean(my biggest issue with rainbow "fisheries" is they can be quite filthy!). Staff were very good.

Rathcon is head and shoulders above them all in the Dublin area - imho.

• Advertisement

Rathcon? Any Big fish in it? What flys or Tactics should i use?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Rathcon? Any Big fish in it? What flys or Tactics should i use?

There will only be big fish in there if a) the owners have stocked them and b) no one has knocked their brains out and brough them home...

Bit sarcy and flippant I know but I'm not a rainbow fishery guy really - they serve a purpose between 1/10 and 28/2 - give me a .5lb brownie over a 5lb pellet pig anyday.

Having said that Rathcon fish is quite nice, you have views of the mountains and I think I've only blanked there once say out of 20 visits. I would normally go there 1st week in Feb and would use either buzzers off a an indicator (15 ft+ leader) or a slow & deep fished lure - normally beadhead zonker or marabou effort. I have caught fish 10lb + plus, imho their stock fish are better then elsewhere - nipped tails etc don't seem too bad.

Recently I've gotten into pike and perch on the fly so probably won't bother with these places at all apart from the odd trip with the kids.

Id take the brownie Anytime!! But i have nothing to do the averywhere for pike is flooded!
    )

Might chance ballyhass tomorrow if weather is appropriate.

Advertisement