Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Renovation

Options
  • 06-01-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just bought a house and have no problem with getting a mortgage, but I have just been told by the bank that the renovation loan I applied for won't be given to me as the house is not livable.I said to them how can I make it livable without a loan to make it livable.The answer I got back was you will have to come up with the money yourself.it's a catch 22 case so I don't know what to do.I'm tempted to just change bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Yes trying the other 2 banks would be a start from what you outline.

Sounds mad as you outline it but Irish banks are always full of surprises !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I guess the question could be where you would be living until it is livable? Well you be paying rent and a mortgage and if so can you afford that. If you have free accommodation until it is livable then I can't see the problem they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jason6286 wrote: »
    I have just bought a house and have no problem with getting a mortgage, but I have just been told by the bank that the renovation loan I applied for won't be given to me as the house is not livable.I said to them how can I make it livable without a loan to make it livable.The answer I got back was you will have to come up with the money yourself.it's a catch 22 case so I don't know what to do.I'm tempted to just change bank.

So do you own the house now its a bit confusing? How much is needed? I was told by AIB to get a personal loan to do work after I got a mortgage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sounds odd that they lent on a house that needed renovation. I thought that having the money to do the work was a requirement of getting the mortgage?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Was the Reno cost factored in and discussed with bank at the time of purchase?

• Advertisement
Advertisement