Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PQ17 Atlantic Convoy BBC2 Monday

Options
  • 06-01-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

there's a documentary on BBC2 this evening (2130hrs iirc) on an ill-fated Atlantic convoy that sailed during 1942. The program was also shown last week, and I caught it then just before it started. Well worth watching for the story, and the derring do of some of those involved.
    Its presented by Jeremy Clarkson, who does these quite well - he also did one on the commando raid on St Nazaire. (Clarksons father-in-law was awarded the VC at Arnhem)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Horse84

tc20 wrote: »
    Hi All,

there's a documentary on BBC2 this evening (2130hrs iirc) on an ill-fated Atlantic convoy that sailed during 1942. The program was also shown last week, and I caught it then just before it started. Well worth watching for the story, and the derring do of some of those involved.
    Its presented by Jeremy Clarkson, who does these quite well - he also did one on the commando raid on St Nazaire. (Clarksons father-in-law was awarded the VC at Arnhem)

Never knew that about clarkson's father in law, he has an interesting family. I saw the doc the other day. I liked it, high production values from the beeb with lots of interviews from convoy veterans, some of whom have sadly died since.
    It raised serious questions of the admiralty particularly the capacity of a very ill sea lord admiral Dudley pound.
    Is the documentary on the st. Nazaire raid still available do u know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

David Irving is suing over the documentary.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10550874/Jeremy-Clarksons-BBC-show-in-battle-with-Nazi-historian.html

I'm not sure who'd I'd like to see win this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

Horse84 wrote: »

I'm not sure Horse, it has been repeated already last year, maybe on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Horse84 wrote: »
    Never knew that about clarkson's father in law, he has an interesting family. I saw the doc the other day. I liked it, high production values from the beeb with lots of interviews from convoy veterans, some of whom have sadly died since.
    It raised serious questions of the admiralty particularly the capacity of a very ill sea lord admiral Dudley pound.

I found it on a certain type of site i'm not allowed mention here, but it was easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

tc20 wrote: »
    I'm not sure Horse, it has been repeated already last year, maybe on youtube?

St Nazaire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jawgap wrote: »
    David Irving is suing over the documentary.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10550874/Jeremy-Clarksons-BBC-show-in-battle-with-Nazi-historian.html

I'm not sure who'd I'd like to see win this one!

I think it's obvious that any documentary about PQ-17 would have to use Irving's book as a source, since it's probably the most in depth study of the event.

If they haven't credited Irving on the program, then Irving is right to raise the issue.

I didn't get to see the program, was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Caught a bit of it. Wasn't bad. Would have been better without Clarkson.

Advertisement