Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxpedition type bag that can be used with a rucksack?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to tidy up the gear I carry with me on a daily bases and have been thinking of getting something like a Maxpedition bag (7l Mongo would be nice) problem is its a lot of money to spend and I'm not sure if it will fit in with the way I want to use it.

Plan would be to put all the everyday items that I use a lot in the Maxpedition bag and keep the rest in my current small rucksack.

So for anyone that uses a Maxpedition bag can you carry it along with a rucksack at the same time?

The Maxpedition Jumbo 4L is another possible, much better price and being a bit smaller than the Mongo looks like it might be a better option as it won't get in the way as much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

Would you not consider just buying a couple of the mazpedition EDC organizers I have all three ( large to small) and they hold some amount of gear plus they fit quite nicely into regular back packs. So when I am hunting I take the large one , Hiking the meduim and every day I just use the small one. I know this may not be what your looking for but its a handy system as you just take a pouch throw it in your bag and off you go and they do hold an awesome amount of equipment. As with all maxpedition products there well built and come with MOLLE webbing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

That's not a bad idea and the sort of thing I'm aiming at. The issue I'm trying to solve which the Jumbo or Mongo might do is that I like access to stuff on the move. Some things I'm always stopping to take out of a rucksack are camera, binoculars, mobile phone, waterproof jacket (thin one I also use when its windy) and gloves, when I'm out at night add torch and hi-viz jacket to that list (I only put the hi-viz on when on the road). Plus I might have hold of 3 dog leads at the same time.

In the winter I can get camera, binoculars, FAK, survival tin, hi-viz, gloves and a few other items in jacket pockets but its not always cold enough for that particular jacket and then stuff gets moved around and worst of all forgotten. So I was thinking one small bag I can access on the move and the rucksack with the stuff I'd be stopping to use anyway? Then of course I'd want to get the Maxpedition bag fitted out so it would go a good way to being a bob on its own.

Rucksack I use is only 35l so another option would be to get a larger rucksack and just keep everything in it, when I'm out in the weather we've had recently it suffers from being a bit too stuffed full making it even worse getting to stuff I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive been using Maxpedition pouches and bags for years love them and never had a problem. My main EDC bag ia the Pygmy Falcon 2 http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/PYGMY-FALCON-II-BACKBACK-12p145.htm And you would be amazed at the amount it holds plus Ive added Maxpedition pouches to the side and front
    My bug out bag is now the Maxpedition Vulture http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/VULTURE-II-3-DAY-BACKPACK-12p114.htm and its fantasic heavy padded straps lots of points for extra pouches and tons of room Id recommend any Maxpedition kit but you may have to trim your kit to fit or buy the likes of the condor 3 day pack http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Condor-3-Day-Assault-Pack-Tactical-MOLLE-Backpack-Black-NEW-125-002-/231094871205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ce53e4a5
    The only major fault ive found with Condor bags and pouches is the zippers arent half as strong as Maxpedition and mostly Condor are 600 to 800 denier Maxpedition is 1000 denier

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I may have a look at that Pygmy bag myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

The Mongo is a large pack (some good pics here). It might be a bit bulky when worn with a backpack. You may also find that you need a backpack with a short back so that the versipack can be swung around out of the way.

I have a couple of versipacks (jumbo and colossus). They are great bits of kit, but I find that once you add any weight to them they need the extra support of the hip belt to avoid back / neck pain. Having all the load bouncing on one side all day isn't very comfortable for me.

Depending on the size of your binos, you might fit the kit you mentioned in a Snugpak RESPONSE PACK. It's a little gem of a belt bag (bum bag) that swallows kit.

I am big and round, so lads in good shape may find that multiple bags fit their frame better :D

As Shadowfox said, stick with the original manufacturer for the kit listed above. There are copies available from Condor etc, but the build quality isn't as good. The 5.11 bags are also worth a look.
    Small items like pouches etc are often fine, but it's worth spending the extra on load carrying kit. That said, you could go oldschool and use something like a respirator bag to carry your essentials (indiana Jones style :D). Light, cheap, bombproof and a lot less conspicuous than the tactical bags.

Let me know if you want pictures of any of the bags above with kit in them.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Roy Batty

Hi Shadowfox,

do you mind if I ask what sort of reaction you get from other people to your maxpedition backpack ?

I worry a bit that the maxpedition backpacks look to "military" and will attract attention, especially in a situation where you need your survival equipment !

Of late I have been paying attention to the sorts of bags and packs people carry on the Luas, and I have only seen one vaguely military looking pack.

RB

Roy Batty wrote: »
    Hi Shadowfox,

do you mind if I ask what sort of reaction you get from other people to your maxpedition backpack ?

I worry a bit that the maxpedition backpacks look to "military" and will attract attention, especially in a situation where you need your survival equipment !

Of late I have been paying attention to the sorts of bags and packs people carry on the Luas, and I have only seen one vaguely military looking pack.

RB

But you don't have to get a bag in olive drab or other military or black ops type colours there are at least 4 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxpedition-Jumbo-Versipack-Shoulder-Bag/dp/B001MTG35E/ that aren't obviously military.

But tbh I think you'd stand out more with a yellow, red or blue Maxpedition bag than a green or beige coloured one.

On the other hand just choising decent kit tends to make you look a bit more obvious. If you want to hid in a crowd carry your stuff in a "bag for life" or Dunnes shopping bag.

Roy Batty wrote: »
    Hi Shadowfox,

RB
    To be honest I never pay much attention and as GlassKey says my bags are in black so they blend in. If it came to a SHTF and i was carrying my bigger Vultre bag Ive a black rain cover that can hide it and the extra external items ive added. Ive carried a 120lt bergan on the Luas while wearing a suit and didnt seem to get any strange looks. In this day and age I dont think anyone really cares they all seem too busy with their heads in kindles tablets or phones. The only ones that would pay attention to what your carrying is Mr scumbag as he is trying to figure out if your an easy target.

As suggested by fiacha I tried out an old army style shoulder bag with my rucksack and didn't get on too great with it. With just light stuff it was fine but as soon as I put anything heavy in it then it became a pain. I forgot I also have 3 dogs with me most of the time so with dogs on the leads the bag sometimes got in the way and with them off the leads I wear the leads over my head making taking the bag off more difficult. Its an old habit getting everything in one bag and leaving your hands free but one I think I'll stick with. New plan has me looking at slightly larger rucksacks around 40-45l, but I've spent enough recently so will just look and plan for the time being.

As suggested by fiacha I tried out an old army style shoulder bag with my rucksack and didn't get on too great with it. With just light stuff it was fine but as soon as I put anything heavy in it then it became a pain. I forgot I also have 3 dogs with me most of the time so with dogs on the leads the bag sometimes got in the way and with them off the leads I wear the leads over my head making taking the bag off more difficult. Its an old habit getting everything in one bag and leaving your hands free but one I think I'll stick with. New plan has me looking at slightly larger rucksacks around 40-45l, but I've spent enough recently so will just look and plan for the time being.
    I can highly recommend the highlander backpack http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WATERPROOF-HIGHLANDER-ARMY-RUCKSACK-FORCES-BACKPACK-/300439109070?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&var=&hash=item45f390fdce
    they take abuse and a lot of weight I had a 25lt one for carrying tools it lasted about 4 years of everyday use getting thrown around a van and then buses to and from work

• Advertisement

I had in mind a Centurio 45 Rucsac that would allow me to add the Mmps Pockets at a later stage.

Current is a 35l Gelert that has done sterling service for the last 2 years, it is almost a good thing having a rucksack thats just a tiny bit to small because it stops you filling it with junk. I have to think very hard about what use I put the 35l.

If your not fussy on color keep an eye in the military surplus shops when your in the UK There is a 65lt one issued at the min with the removable 10lt side pouches in woodland camo or desert camo They pop up on ebay from time to time around 65 euro posted

I'm a bit limited where I can get to in the UK but there is one place in Plymouth I haven't been to in a long time that has all that sort of stuff. Just found them online https://www.knightsurplus.co.uk/ .

Advertisement