Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xingyi or Bagua in Dublin

Options
  • 06-01-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

Guess it's a long shot but does anyone know if there are any classes in either of these in Ireland ?

Many Thanks

Sam

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi

Guess it's a long shot but does anyone know if there are any classes in either of these in Ireland ?

Many Thanks

Sam

Dr Alan Peatfield out in UCD used to teach both bagua and xingi, no idea if he still does. If you're looking for neijia with a strong combat element, Niall Keane is your man, and has regular classes. See also https://www.facebook.com/wudang.sanshou

If you look around the other kung fu schools, you may well find some xinyi and bagua.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 samantha11145

I think Alan Peatfield has pretty much stopped teaching (just from google), I used to train Chen Ting Hungs style of tai chi (with Ian Cameron) it's very good but not for me at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think Alan Peatfield has pretty much stopped teaching (just from google), I used to train Chen Ting Hungs style of tai chi (with Ian Cameron) it's very good but not for me at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Niall and myself are also based on Chen Ting Hungs style, though via Dan Docherty rather than Ian Cameron. I met Ian some years back in Jasnierres over a few pints, a real gent.

If you give Alan a call, he might well know of someone else teaching Bagua, possibly among his own ex students. I trained with Alan myself for a few years some time ago, and he is both approachable and very knowledgeable on the internal arts.

Thankyou for that (I always found Ian to be a great guy too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Can you expand (if you wish) on why you seek those arts specifically?(not that the different styles of such aren't poles apart in any case ;-) )

Hsing Yi has a nice idea in having "5 fists" that are basically shen fa that become everything else, and a nice strategy of "the wedge".

Ba Gua, has another nice way for appreciation of martial concept - that being, 8 methods (animals) related to the 8 "gua" related to how one folds and issues, couples with 3 basins (levels - high, middle and low) etc. etc. not to mention the attention to footwork and stepping methods, with the tactical focus on taking the opponents centre from behind, that make up a complete art.

it seems to me, Hsing Yi goes from a minimal to everything, Bagua from a fair bit to everything and Tai Chi Chuan takes a reductive approach with a huge curriculum of training methods and techniques that reduce to a singular principle, with the arguably more daoist approach of "giving up the self to follow the opponent".
    #
    The old saying was: Hsing Yi - primary education, Ba Gua - seconday education, Tai Chi - University.

Hence my interest in why seek these out? (genuine) particularly coming from a practical Tai Chi as opposed to the flowery sh1t.

Like I'd be first to agree different approaches suit different people, and I don't subscribe to the old saying, I've seen plenty of Hsing Yi lads who would destroy most Tai chi "players".

If I had to chose between Hsing Yi and Ba Gua, I'd chose Hsing Yi - Shen Yi if possible - just seems more combat orientated, and I just don't get with the Ba Gua "spinning", taking the eyes off the opponent doesn't sit well!

• Advertisement

Thankyou for your interesting reply.

Xing Yi for its directness, and comparative simplicity and I like to practise Yi Chuan (for those same reasons) and as I undestand it there is some crossover ( I am no scholar!)

Bagua has so much depth that I think it may well be counter productive for me at ths stage of the game, but it would be nice to confirm that with my own experience.

If you know of any other arts that are taught in Ireland I would be grateful, as I am for your interest in my post.

Best Wishes

Sam

Bumped into Alan Peatfield briefly over the weekend. Apparently he still teaches bagua on a Thursday evening in UCD. AFAIK, you need to either be a student, ex student, or gym member to join these classes, but you could probably sort something out.

I will give that a twirl, thankyou for that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Thankyou for your interesting reply.

Xing Yi for its directness, and comparative simplicity and I like to practise Yi Chuan (for those same reasons) and as I undestand it there is some crossover ( I am no scholar!)

Bagua has so much depth that I think it may well be counter productive for me at ths stage of the game, but it would be nice to confirm that with my own experience.

If you know of any other arts that are taught in Ireland I would be grateful, as I am for your interest in my post.

Best Wishes

Sam

yea, Xing Yi seems a nice art to get a handle of relatively quickly, as in at least have the basics of its tools fairly quickly. I do believe you are correct, Yi Chuan coming from Xing Yi fairly recently.

I think with the foundation in Tai Chi Chuan (CTH style) Ba Gua might be easier to take up, as similarly it focuses on spiraling dynamics and footwork, our nine palace, seven stars and da lu cover a lot of footwork found in Ba Gua, though differently obviously, but some of the bagua changes of direction are very similar.

Basically I wouldn't be put off by the scope of the curriculum in Ba Gua if I was you, given the TCC background.

smacl mentioned Alan, he also used to teach Hsing Yi, I think his teacher was Rose Li? (his Ba Gua is Yin Style http://www.yinstylebaguazhang.com/ )

So I would second smacl, Alan has a lot of knowledge of those arts, and perhaps as he is versed in both he's the guy you should check out?

Thankyou for your considerate reply: now that you mention it I can see the similarities in footwork between Bagua and our style of tai chi, especially the Nine Palace step. Alan looks ideal with his experience.

Thankyou for taking the time to respond.

Best Wishes

Sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 pretory

Hi

Many Thanks

Sam

There's the Bagua Zhang Dublin School,

the teacher is student of Zhang Dugan, from the lineage of Wang Han Zhi. These are really good credentials!
    In facebook the page goes by /baguazhangdublin

Anyone already checked this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I am long term a a student of Alan's and his knowledge and skill is deep and wide. +1 also for CTH style tai chi. As fighting arts there is a lot of crossover between the principles of xingyi, bagua and Tai chi but finding a good teacher is difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xinyibagua

Hi Sam,

In case you are still interested, I teach private lessons of,

- Xinyi Liuhe, which is the root style for all of the XingYi branches (ie. Hebei XingYi, Shanxi Xingyi, DaiShi Xinyi).
    My teacher is Mr. Wang Guo Ding from Shanghai, Sun Shao Pu lineage.
    - Bagua Zhang. My teacher was Mr. Zhang Pao from Qingdao, Liang Bagua and Yin Bagua lineages.

If anyone is interested you can find me at xinyibagua . ireland @ gmail .com.

Thanks,

Ed.
    Hi

Many Thanks

Sam

Advertisement