Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on references for apartment rent

Options
  • 06-01-2014 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to rent an apartment on Dublins southside, preferably near the Sandyford Industrial Estate. I went to view a property today and all 9 people who went to see it want to take it. They have requested a reference from both work and previous landlord/landlady and a copy of a bank statement. I live with my fiancee who doesn't work at the moment. Would it be ok to just forward a reference for myself, as I'll be the one paying the rent, or should I try and get references for her as well. We have lived together for the last 8 years so everywhere I have lived she has lived.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get as many references as you can I suppose. If she isnt working then theres not much that you can do there really. Previous landlord references will cover her.

I wouldnt be entirely comfortable giving a stranger my bank details if Im honest; its none of their business really and if they are worried about ability to pay the rent then they have a letter from your employer to sort that. I actually consider it to be quite cheeky for them to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

djimi wrote: »
    Get as many references as you can I suppose. If she isnt working then theres not much that you can do there really. Previous landlord references will cover her.

I wouldnt be entirely comfortable giving a stranger my bank details if Im honest; its none of their business really and if they are worried about ability to pay the rent then they have a letter from your employer to sort that. I actually consider it to be quite cheeky for them to ask.

I think its a bit cheeky as well, but with 9 different people all interested in renting it, its a landlords market so they can ask what they want.

TBH in this day and age references are a bit redundant. If Im a convicted arsonist with a history of destroying rental properties Im not going to give you references which indicate that.

Advertisement