Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone else disable my phone if they knew the IMEI number?

Options
  • 06-01-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭

Hi.

If I bought a second hand mobile phone could someone else maliciously get it disabled if they knew my IMEI number?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes.

They simply call their operator, report it stolen, give the IMEI, and the operator will block it.

Not uncommon for 2nd hand phones. People sell them, report them stolen, claim insurance, and it's win win for them, and a pain for the person they sold the phone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes.

They simply call their operator, report it stolen, give the IMEI, and the operator will block it.

Not uncommon for 2nd hand phones. People sell them, report them stolen, claim insurance, and it's win win for them, and a pain for the person they sold the phone to.

Damn! So people should guard their IMEI number just like passwords. There should be a system to prevent this (and still allow legitimate instances when a phone is lost/stolen).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement